What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In nature there are mutations. I've just never seen a newborn that has puberty characteristics. Same goes for new born plants...

Best of luck Hookah.

Hookahhead

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll certainly post updates every few days as things progress. Do I need a certain post count to pass around some rep?

I agree that this trait doesn't seem very beneficial to the plant currently. However I have seen runt/stunted plants that catch up or surpass their siblings by the time flowering sets in.

If I'm lucky and she does resume "normal" growth, I'll definitely be taking cuts and tossing pollen on them. I'm not sure if it will be inheritable. Personally, it would be a great trait for my setup... even if it stalls the plant a week or 2. I have to take my plants out into the jungle on the back of my motorcycle down a bumpy dirt road. I've found that it's much easier to move many 2 week old seedlings, than just a few 4-6 week old plants (less suspicious, less damage). However I have to come back 2 weeks later and chop the males. It would be much better to kill all the males the first week, and only move females. However, since my plants tend to finish at 3-4ft it's cost prohibitive and also difficult for me to get fem beans here.

Hookahhead

Sorry guys I can't edit my posts yet... I just wanted to thank you for checking out this thread aridbud. You're expertise in this area is appreciated, and I encourage you to follow along.. at least for the next couple of weeks. In your experience, what's the earliest you've seen a plant throw preflowers?

I

Ignignokt

Have you ever grown Lowrider #1?
It wouldn't shock me too much if i saw a Lowrider #1 do something like that.
The one time i grew some, years ago, the finished plants were stunted but only about 3 nodes high with some calyxs and pistils. :redface:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Transplant soon....your plants, either photo or auto, don't like cramped roots.

Autos generally pre-flower (hit puberty) 17-25 days. Photoperiods, 3-4 weeks into vegg....if environment is optimal...or soon after flipping light regimen.

Hookahhead

I haven't personally grown lowryder, but I was growing when it was released. I remember most growers at the time thought the whole autoflower trait was just a nolvelty and not really useful. Like you said some plants would be a few inches tall, others would hit 30. Mediocre quality, and unpredictable yields were off putting... now all these years later there's an entire market devoted to autos. The breeders have done an excellent job improving the quality/quantity!

Transplant soon? My normal routine is 2 weeks (give or take a day) in a 16 or 20 oz solo, then transplant either outdoor or into a gallon container. At around 4 weeks they tend to show sex, at least most of the males anyway. Then I take cuttings and either move them outside, or to 3 gallon pots. At 6 weeks they absolutely need to go out or I can't get them on the motorcycle... even with lst or topping. Following this schedule, I have roots at the bottom of the pot, but not tightly bound.

That being said, the plant in this post is 5 days from breaking ground today.

That

Hookahhead

Good news! The new growth in the middle is going to be leaves! They are not very big right now, so I'm going to wait a day or 2 to post the photo evidence.

The new growth is DEFINITELY different than the calyxes. The calyxes are the classic shape (with pistils) and are pubescent (referring to being "fuzzy" not sexual maturity). The leaf formation is serrated and look like any other leaf tips. I'm not going to lie.. I'm pretty excited about all of this.

Hookahhead

I'm really trying to restrain myself from posting and staring at her too often. It's a real struggle though guys, it feels like my first time again! I added more soil to the cups to support the stem growth, I always leave a little room on top for this purpose.

Leaf growth has poked out far enough that you can identify it as such. However the growth looks abnormal to me, like the leaf in the front is twisted backwards. The calyxes haven't grown any, adding more evidence that's what they truely are and not leaves. Obviously I just need to wait and see what she does.

Some things I'll be interested in seeing:
-will additional nodes come with calyxes too
-will leaf growth be opposite or alternate (indicating maturity)
-will it be an autoflower
-will I see any balls too (hopefully not!)

Thanks for tuning in and following along :tiphat:

Attachments

• E6988362-A104-4344-BD3C-0D4238DB86A6.jpg
    E6988362-A104-4344-BD3C-0D4238DB86A6.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 27

Hookahhead

she's just an ugly bitch, she'll be fine

Haha true, but with one minor correction... she's an ugly two-headed bitch!

So the leaves are starting to get bigger now, there are 5 in total. 3 on the left side, 2 on the right. The calyxes are dead center, with all of this mess growing around them. You can't really see them in the photos, but they're still the same.

The 1st picture shows the left side, 2nd shows the right, and 3rd shows the top. Thanks for tuning in folks, your comments are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpg
    IMG_6422.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6425.jpg
    IMG_6425.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6427.jpg
    IMG_6427.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 23
I

Ignignokt

Where did the calyx's go?
(ohhh, i know.... you dried them and smoked them :bigeye: :biglaugh: )

This is exactly why I made that thread months ago about cross breeding and you guys going to hell.

This plant is clearly an abomination

Haha true, but with one minor correction... she's an ugly two-headed bitch!

So the leaves are starting to get bigger now, there are 5 in total. 3 on the left side, 2 on the right. The calyxes are dead center, with all of this mess growing around them. You can't really see them in the photos, but they're still the same.

The 1st picture shows the left side, 2nd shows the right, and 3rd shows the top. Thanks for tuning in folks, your comments are appreciated!

Your flowering plant was an abomination from birth... it’s revegging now.

Hookahhead

Where did the calyx's go?
(ohhh, i know.... you dried them and smoked them :bigeye: :biglaugh: )

They're dry and are curing in a microcentrifuge tube now :laughing:

Day 11. Both stems are starting to elongate. Apical growth is visible on both of them.

I don't think I'm going to transplant on Day 14. The plant doesn't have enough above ground growth in my opinion. The sibling that is the same age as this one is on it's 4th node. I have tried to transplant seedlings earlier than 2 weeks in the past (like day 10-11); thinking I was moving them into a happier home. It's been my experience that the rootball wasn't quite formed enough and the clump of soil easily broke apart even when being cautious. I worry about damaging the roots although I don't recall any seedlings being stunted by this. Those plants didn't seem to gain any major advantages either. I grow open pollinated bag seed, and each plant grows at its own pace. So i definitely don't have a good side-by-side comparison. For me its easier to transplant them around day 13-15. In just those few extra days they have a nice root mass that slides easily out of the cup and into the next container without having to worry.

Picture 1 shows the stems, with both calyxes. They still haven't grown, pistils are still visible, and are more pubescent than the rest of the growth. Picture 2 is the left side, and shows apical growth. Picture 3 is the top/right side. One thing is evident from this thread... I'm terrible at taking macro photos, I probably took 20 to get that 1 mildly decent pictures of the calyxes.

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpg
    IMG_6450.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6444.jpg
    IMG_6444.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6442.jpg
    IMG_6442.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 24

Hookahhead

I apologize, picture 1 does not actually show both of the stems. I was primarily trying to capture the calyxes, which are dead center between the two stems. However, I forgot I had to turn the plant slightly for a better shot. I'll update in 3-4 days, it should be much more evident by then.

Hookahhead

Day 14

Day 14

Day 14

Not much new to be said. I kinda like the yin-yang thing its got going on in the top view. I can see a tiny bit of growth starting at the nodes. It looks like leaf formation and not preflowers, but it is still way too small to tell for sure. Nodes seem to have opposite growth and not alternate.

The normal sibling got moved outside today, it had 4-5 nodes on it. The roots were nicely developed and the transplant was stress free. The funky one will get a gallon pot probably around day 21. Now that it has a bit of leaf growth to power it, it should grow pretty quickly. I will keep it inside for a few weeks to see how it grows out, but it will have to be moved outdoor for flowering.

Attachments

• IMG_6456.jpg
    IMG_6456.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6461.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 25

Hookahhead

Day 18

Day 18

Day 18 - Anyone still following?

The plant is continuing to grow nicely, but still a little awkward. I'm guessing something is off with the hormones on this one. I have to admit, over the past few days one of the "calyxes" (backside) has started to develop tiny ridges. The "pistil" has withered and died. I can see how its possible that it is just a very badly malformed leaf. To me, it looks like it was a calyx that now wants to try to be a leaf maybe. The other one still looks the same, and still has the little white nub. There is just a tiny bit of new growth at the base where they are, so I'm interested in what will come out of that. I can't see any other pre-flowers on the plant yet, so I guess we'll just have to wait until its old enough and sex it the old fashioned way. Unfortunately if it is a female, I can never be sure if they were calyxes or not.

Theres a bit more strangeness to add... In the photos, the right side has normal symmetrical bilateral growth. However on the left side, it's doing this weird trifolate type thing. It's not a true trifolate like I've seen on other plants, this one just seems to throw an extra stem off to the side rather than at a 120 degree angle. The 3rd photo shows both secondary stems, the 4th only shows only the left.

I think I'll be good to transplant it on day 21, the main stem is starting to thicken up a bit now. There is a lot of growth coming in between the nodes. The leaves in the middle are pushing each other out of the way. I've considered trimming some of this out, but I think I'll leave it all natural for now. It's going to be super bushy in a few weeks!

By the way, the red stuff sprinkled on top of the soil is cayenne powder. I noticed a few fungus gnats in a mint and basil I have outside. I don't know if the cayenne will be effective at all, but I figure it couldn't hurt. I haven't seen them indoors yet, but I need to source some mosquito dunks down here. With as many mosquitos as we have you'd think it would be a much easier product to find. Everything I've found is chemical pesticide designed to kills ants, cockroaches, mosquitos, spiders, and like 20 other insects with 1 product... must be some nasty stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6463.jpg
    IMG_6463.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6479.jpg
    IMG_6479.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6485.jpg
    IMG_6485.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24
M

metsäkana

iv had this happen on different strains some stun fully and dont grow and some grow like that maybe 3-8 times i dont remember mostly i cut them off becouse they take longer than most 50% times in same veg room other stuff is so big in time i want to flip those are still stunning on those 2 first round leafs