What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So...what's up today?

Mr.Miner

Congrats on the job Mr. Milner, I know that’s a relief. :tiphat:
Been on my job about 30 years now and counting down the years to retirement even though it is still a ways out.

Thank you! It really is a relief. 30 years? That's awesome, hope you get to retire sooner than later.

Sunny, cold, windy day here. I took off to continue the car hunt. Headed out for a newspaper and haircut in a few. Life is good.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Back from my cabin trip. Cold up there. Looked over some fishing properties for next summer. I am foaming at the mouth. Fishing is gonna be good this year. Just have to get rid of all the white stuff on the ground.

Need to catch up on things here. BB soon.

St. Phatty

Went to the market. Got some day old bread for the birds.

Was supposed to make or take a phone call. No bars. Never seen that before. I thought it was a rural phone thing, but no bars anywhere.

Was going to buy a lottery ticket. Went to put in a $1 & noticed there was already a $1 of credit on the machine.

Expected to see somebody come running back & say, "hey that's my money". No one came. So, bought a ticket.

Walked by the machine again about 5 minutes later, after reading an interesting article about the Hornady 300 PRC cartridge, made from the one & only Ruger 375.

Someone left $14 credit on the machine !

Again, I looked around, expecting to see someone running back to claim their credit.

Nobody came so, bought more lottery tickets.

Got halfway into hooking up the antenna on the one television. Maybe I'll be able to watch the play-offs this weekend.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Finally done with everything. Was up before dawn. Cleaned and vacuumed the cabin. On the road at 7:30....drove 100 miles in a snow storm back to Denver...4wd all the way. Got home, unpacked and went downstairs to the garden. I just finished with the maintenance and chopped down a Legend OG. She is hanging waiting on a dry trim in about a week.
Time for a Jacuzzi and my first bowl of the day....might even have a drink....ya know it's Friday....

Sounds like you had a lot going on as well Phatty. I can honestly say I have never played the lottery. Guess that is why I have never won anything....I have also never lost anything........

@ Buzz, thanks for asking...I'm ok just not quite normal.....

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Thanks for asking Buzz. I will live to see another day.

Snowed all night. I need to get the snow blower out but am pruning right now. I just changed out my sediment and pre carbon filters in my R/O system. Not much going on down there today.....sports on the tube later.

Have fun trimming Ester....i did that yesterday.

back to pruning....

St. Phatty

I started taking Veterinary antibiotics for my tooth/Sinusitis infection.

Injected enough in my butt yesterday for a 180 pound animal.

That "pushed the pain back" enough that I actually felt good enough to exercise this morning.

In the PM, I felt good enough to write a very essential letter to a dentist in another part of the state, asking for help, presenting as much dental science as possible.

It was a very difficult letter for me to write coherently.

My tooth condition in the summer & fall created a situation of Local Doctor Politics. 3 fillings resulting in a need for 3 root canals = local town dentists protecting each other.

A 3/3 record like that probably means something to the dentists that they have not revealed to me.

It is difficult to be in pain & perform. I have been spending 1/2 hour here & there working on my mining equipment. Now we have rain coming so I get to test the current rain capture & sluice setup. I can put up a picture if anyone wants to see it.

Actually, one of things that helped me understand my teeth & move forward was my cat's sore throat. It has the same symptoms as cat teeth infection - Drooling, REALLY bad breath, and total appetite loss.

From getting ready to deal with my cat, it became obvious how cat teeth problems are treated. They remove the tooth, and the cat gets better, 99% of the time.

The same thing applies with people, except we have this thing called "Root Canals" that has the same effect as tooth removal - removes the habitat and food for bacteria, creates a sterile tooth like thing.

I actually asked about getting a root canal for a cat. That's kind of a "Beverly Hills Veterinarian" thing, it looks like.

I started taking Veterinary antibiotics for my tooth/Sinusitis infection.

Injected enough in my butt yesterday for a 180 pound animal.

That "pushed the pain back" enough that I actually felt good enough to exercise this morning.

In the PM, I felt good enough to write a very essential letter to a dentist in another part of the state, asking for help, presenting as much dental science as possible.

It was a very difficult letter for me to write coherently.

My tooth condition in the summer & fall created a situation of Local Doctor Politics. 3 fillings resulting in a need for 3 root canals = local town dentists protecting each other.

A 3/3 record like that probably means something to the dentists that they have not revealed to me.

It is difficult to be in pain & perform. I have been spending 1/2 hour here & there working on my mining equipment. Now we have rain coming so I get to test the current rain capture & sluice setup. I can put up a picture if anyone wants to see it.

Actually, one of things that helped me understand my teeth & move forward was my cat's sore throat. It has the same symptoms as cat teeth infection - Drooling, REALLY bad breath, and total appetite loss.

From getting ready to deal with my cat, it became obvious how cat teeth problems are treated. They remove the tooth, and the cat gets better, 99% of the time.

The same thing applies with people, except we have this thing called "Root Canals" that has the same effect as tooth removal - removes the habitat and food for bacteria, creates a sterile tooth like thing.

I actually asked about getting a root canal for a cat. That's kind of a "Beverly Hills Veterinarian" thing, it looks like.

Pardon me St Phatty but are you in Canada?

St. Phatty

My Bird Wrangling score was pretty good today.

Took about 2 minutes to get the hens in the door and up to their cages.

The wrangling part involves grabbing the rooster and ejecting him outdoors.

Have you ever heard a rooster crow indoors at 3 AM ?

I'd like to have that for my ring-tone.

One of the other parts of bird-keeping is getting them situated outdoors.

The little Silkie rooster made me proud and picked out a perch 10 feet off the ground.

Next step, move the hens outdoors to predator resistant lodging.

But, waking up to piles of feathers is such a bummer.

So to summarize, what happened was, mountain lion attacks in June, September, and November.

Mountain lion vs. free range birds.

After the November incident I was down to 6 (from 18) and still had a kernel flock of not-ground-roosting birds. The whole point of that pet project is to train free-range ground birds to roost in a predator safe location, and to be able to use their wings to escape from predators.

Anyway, they learn the roosting behavior partially from the other birds. I don't want to lose the trained hens. It took me about 3 years to get them collectively to move from the ground roost to the higher roosts.

So I let them all roost indoors for about a month and then, kicked the roosters out.

Basically, WAS trying to develop a chicken coop without walls. I think it's basically doable.

And, in order to train the birds, you need sacrificial birds. I'm not sure they learn to fly to higher roosts, without the motivation of hearing and maybe watching the demise of their brothers & sisters.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Good luck Phatty. My grandparents raised chickens all their lives. Always had trouble with critters. I assume you raise free range like them. They had the best luck with outside dogs. Get a couple of good hounds and chicken wire and you should be good to go. They always had an inside coop though.

However my grandpa always had his shotgun loaded by the back door. Just like me. Only mine is a pellet gun......

Good luck my friend and may you raise lots of chickens....

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I haven't figured it out, don'y know what I am going to do today...

Wish I had that problem my friend. I don't know where to start. Just finished feeding the hungry ladies. Both they and me are happy.

Golf course still has snow on it so me and Mrs Pute are gonna take a walk. Won't be anybody but me, the wife and coyotes out there.

Will wash the vehicles after as the day warms.

Out the door....BB Later.