What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, a lot of the chain places, their sausage is processed into those little balls. If it was real italian sausage, like from a casing, or like giordanos or lou malnatis where it's pressed into the bottom of a stuffed or deep dish, that's better. Even if it was the cheap sausage, i'd eat it of course, plus it's not like pepperoni isnt processed, i just prefer pepperoni because when it's nice and cooked you get those little pools of orange grease surrounding them. :biggrin:

Icing the kicker is a time-honored tradition in football, Hawk. People do it during the regular season all the time, much less a playoff game.

Eh, what can you do? Parkey's been hitting uprights all season long, and it turns out an eagles lineman got 2 fingers on the kick as it went up, it did seem like the ball hooked in an odd direction to hit the left upright.

It's a bad beat, but at least the bears won the division, made the playoffs, won 12 games. Trubisky didnt play too badly against the eagles, threw a TD to take the lead in the 3rd quarter, then threw them into field goal range to have a chance at a game winning FG. The arrow is pointing up for him, the team should still be good for the next few seasons (in theory) so, even though the season ended on a sour note, it's worlds better than it has been the last few seasons...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thats the spirit baba'
i know its hard to swallow right now but the bears had a great season and look like they are heading in the right direction
the defense became a force to recon with and i will honestly say, trubinsky inst a bad qb
/a cut above cutler
you guys had your own destiny in your hands and it came down to a bad bounce...
/man i was going bonkers the last few minutes of that game
i agree that the chain sausage is way too fatty and overprocessed
some places yuo can choose between the ground sausage ( way fatty and filler) or the italian sausage
/pepperonni is a good choice too, who dosent like orange grease
i ended up throwing a bunch of chicken and carne asada on the grill sunday
i had chicken salad sandwiches and roast beef saturday
bomb diggity and i have enough left over chicken salad to last me the week at work

the bolts defense was playing lights out
the chargers were playing like five and six dbs on most of their sets against the ravens and they took the speed away from l.jackson
/at least one of the safetyies was the spy and their dbs were close to the line for most plays
you saw how once he was forced to adapt,jackson couldent keep the chains moving, especially with his arm
plus, the chargers defensive front being able to preasure the qb only rushing three-four guys gave them enough preasure
this wont be the case in ne, but lynn might have some more tricks up his sleeve
/btw, #f'spanos

its crazy how that work out hawk
most of the time the other team calls a time out and then the kicker still nails it
this time icing the kicker worked
i read this thing today about how the bears kicker had missed some kicks during the season and was even practicing after hours, but i guess it wasnt his night
the ball might have been tipped as well, but still man, that could have went either way
next year brother...

i think the indy defense is underrated, but a big time pass rusher would add a lot,itarzan
another big receiver would be good too but i think you could also use a big time rb
i like mack, but imagine how that offense would run with a big name all purpose rb
cant wait for kc/indy this weekend

i wonder if flaco's time has run out in b'more, HYF?
after the game harbaugh made some comments that suggests that may flaco time has passed and they are going to let him go if they cant trade him
he comes with a hefty price tag and i doubt he would be willing to take a pay cut so i wonder how much he is worth to another team
/remember, joe flaco is elite
does time stand still or will the the ravens turn the page?
thats rad that you have a good loc al bakery to get your dough from
do you every make your own bread?

this weekends line up is going to be great
a good mix of teams and anything could happen as weve sen!
i cant wait for the action to begin!

Americangrower

Veteran
Wow is all I can say.
After watching how pathetic Deshaun Watson was, I thought to myself damn he is the worse passing qb I've seen.

Then I watched Lamar Jackson and yep I was wrong, he can't throw and isn't even smart enough to run. Come on 7 sacks.... RUN damn it.

Americangrower

Veteran
I would fire John Harbaugh if I was their owner. All they had to do was run the option against the 7 db's. What a waste of a killa defense.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
There’s rumor that John Harbaugh might get traded this offseason; it’s pretty rare for a coach to get traded, but it speaks to the fact that he’s highly regarded if a team is willing to pay money and draft picks to get him. He’d be a step up for the Bucs, Cards, Jets, maybe the Browns though I doubt Baltimore would trade him to a division rival…
I thought he did a great coaching job to go from the most pass heavy offense in the league under flacco to the most run heavy under Jackson, and in doing so went from 4-5 under flacco to 6-1 under Jackson. And fwiw, there wasn’t much Jackson could do with the pressure he was under, although he did start moving the ball once they went no-huddle hurry up.
The chargers played 3 safeties at linebacker, 7 Def backs in all. You would think you could run against that, but with their speed those defenders closed on ball carriers fast, from sideline to sideline. It was weird, I think at some snaps the 3 “LB’s” weren’t even on the tv screen, they were so far back from the line of scrimmage, but they came up quick when it was a run. I guess it's easier and faster to run forward than backward (obviously) and having their eyes on the qb rather than turning and following a receiver made it easier to see what lamar was doing and react accordingly.

Ur right Pop, Flacco is going to be on a different team next year, harbaugh was publicly saying there is going to be a market for joe. I think his contract is only 21 or 22M a year, which is just average for a QB nowadays, although he’s at best an average QB, except he becomes money in the playoffs. Still, he’d be an upgrade in Jacksonville, not sure about other teams, most of the bad ones have a young highly drafted QB they want to develop. Even Tampa wants to give Winston another year. What’s also likely is that he’ll be cut if no team wants to trade for him, meaning they’d have to give up assets and take on the rest of his contract. If he's a free agent maybe they can sign him to a 1 or 2 year prove it deal, for maybe what keenum got (18M yr)

Marlon mack ran for 140+ yds against a very good run D in Houston, so the colts might be set on having a good and very cheap RB. Im thinking if anyone could use an elite back it would be the Bears, they couldn’t run against Philly at all, and their 2 RB’s are too one-dimensional in their abilities. When Howard is in you know it’s a run between the tackles, when Cohen is in it’s an outside zone or a pass in the flat. With someone like Bell, if they could afford him, the defense couldn’t stack up to play him one way or another, plus he’s a better pass blocker than either howard or cohen when mitch drops back and looks deep.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
it seems like more and more teams are playing multiple running backs, but it would be nice if howard had better hands
cohen is a great 3rd down back but it kind of tips the defense when hes in, like you said
mack put up good numbers against houston but hes only an average reciever at best and i dont think hes played a full season so far
he could still develope into an all purpose rb but i think his upside is limited
lets see if he plays a big part in the next game, it helps when you can ballance the offense and right now i see the colts as being all a.luck
/and a mean defense
chiefs are kind of one dimenional too now that k.hunt is gone and i think their defense is only so so at best
chiefs/ colts will be a fun game
that is crazy that harbaugh might be traded but weve seen what a good coach can do for a team on the verge of turning things around
the rams werent that good under j.fisher but blossomed once mcvay took the helm
same goes for the bears under nagy
of course trubinsky deserves a lot of credit for his continued development and adding mack was an instant upgrade to a good defense, but i think nagy played a part
/whats your take on this baba'?
there are enough teams looking for a nfl qb that i think flaco can be delt to another team esp if the asking price is right
cant wait for the games this weekend!

Americangrower

Veteran
It's going to be near impossible to trade Flacco he is signed for 20 mil in 2020 and 24 mil in 2021. His dead money cap hit is 8 mil next year. They will cut him and take the hit. Giving them 12 mil to try and bring in some offensive players, hopefully O linemen since they can't block shit.

Chargers got pressure all game long with their 4 run stopper linemen letting them use 7 db's to take away the short dink n dunk stuff. It's a good system as long as the running back doesn't get through the d line.

iTarzan

There are my picks. Eagles, Colts, Cowboys and Ravens.

Only missed one pick. The Chargers made some great adjustments. Didn't think they could and I was wrong.

This week I am going with Colts over the Chiefs. I think the Colts can slow down the Chiefs offense more than the Chiefs can slow down the Colts. The same theory I used in the Eagles/Bears game. The Chiefs haven't slowed down any offense yet they just been outscoring teams. As good as he has been Mahomes has yet to pay for one of the numerous crazy, foolish throws he makes. It is time to pay the piper. Plus KC is 3-3 in their last 6 games and gave up 33 points to a Raiders team that isn't very good. Lastly the Colts seem to be a jinx for the Chiefs in the playoffs. Colts 37 Chiefs 29. The Colts hold the Chiefs to 5 FG and 2 TDs in their 7 trips to the red zone. The Colts get 4 TDs and 3 FGs in their 7 trips to the red zone.

I am having a hard time getting on the Chargers bandwagon. Even though they won the end of the Ravens game was concerning. How are they going to stop Brady when he starts to rally the Patriots if they are behind and going for broke? Patriots 27 Chargers 24.

Cowboys over the Rams. The Rams won't be able to stop Elliot and Gurley might get broken. Cowboys 31 Rams 10. The Dallas D makes it a long day for the Rams.

Eagles and Saints is going to be a tough game for the Eagles to win but they can do it. I don't have any thoughts to support an Eagles win just a gut feeling that the Eagles are going back to the Super Bowl and will hopefully be playing the Colts.

There are my picks. Colts, Patriots, Cowboys and Eagles.

Colts vs Eagles... #6 vs #6 in the Super Bowl sounds good to me.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's a bold take, Tarzan, that two #6 seeds will meet in the super bowl. But you know what, until you're proven wrong, it's definitely a possibility. Nick Foles is called Big Dick Nick for a reason, and the colts have an actual defense to go along with Andrew freaking Luck and a decent run game.

Pop, I think nagy will win coach of the year, Mack was great all year when he was healthy but against the eagles i dont think he had a sack or a turnover, and trubisky, well hopefully he'll continue to improve and get better. He definitely could have led the offense to more points against the eagles, but he did throw a go ahead TD pass in the 2nd half and also got them within makeable FG range at the end for the win. He's not a top 5 QB and most likely never will be one but if the defense continues to be elite he doesnt need to be, just take care of the ball, get some points on the board, pick up 1st downs, give the team a chance to win and he did that in his first postseason. His bad luck is that the bears traded up to #2 to draft him and the qb's drafted #10 and #12 after him, mahomes and watson, are better than him, so he'll probably never live up to that comparison, but as long as he can lead the offense to some wins i dont think it matters much.

There was a story last week that he completely shut off all social media after last year, which i think is a good thing. Social media can be so negative and reactionary that it can mess with a player's head if they keep reading that stuff; I know lebron, every playoffs, turns off all his instagram, twitter, facebook access and just focuses on basketball. I think a lot of bears fans wish trubisky was an elite QB like rodgers or brees, he was drafted #2 overall, but im just glad he's better than cutler. Sure, he misses some throws, and forces some throws, but overall i think he's pretty accurate and his running ability adds an element to his game a lot of QBs dont have.

My picks this week: Chiefs over Colts (sorry tarzan!), Chargers over Patriots (revenge for 2007-8, remember LT!), Rams over Cowboys (sorry Jerry) and Saints over eagles (big dick nick shrinks to normal proportions).

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Lets Go Chargers... I got to play ball in the off season with Keenan Allen and Melvin Gordon... those 2 dudes are chill and cool as hell... Keenan is a huge stoner... lets go LA

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wait,what?
you got to ball with two nfl stars storm'?
was this some charity event or do you got those kind of mad skills?
a lot of nfl players are smokers
there is a push among some ex-players to allow marijuana use as a pain killer and possible aid against brain injury
cte is a big issue right now and marijuana may help lessen the long term effects of brain trauma; but i dont see the league allowing open use until it becomes at least legal nation wide
/and even then there will be some owners who will say " not on my team"

as much as nagy deserves coty, i think the honor goes to anthony lynn
im wiht you baba and think social media is a huge distraction
some players want to make noise through their social media and others let their game do the talking for them
if trubs did shut off social media that just shows he is a winner who puts the team before himself
/good on him
a lot action on the coaching side today
so how do you feel about losing fangio? he did a great job in chi and i hope he can work some of his magic in mile high
/with the success he had this season it was bound to happen and i think you even hinted at this earlier in the season
i think trubs is on the right track and as long as he isnt losing games with stupid throws i think you guys have a bright future

so many hot taeks for this weekend so i will throw in some sauce
im going rams over dallas and colts over chiefs
/defense
chargers/pats is going to be tough but im leaning towards the pats in this one
/if laCOCs can beat the pats i think they could take the afc
saints are my favorite to win it all this year
not a single bad game this weekend and i cant wait for the fun to get started

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im with pop i need to know more about this. I know a lot of nfl players like to play pickup basketball, so not out of the question, but i need to know how keenan is a huge stoner.

Anthony Lynn did a great job with the chargers and will definitely get consideration for COTY, but nagy made trubisky a serviceable qb after an awful rookie year, whereas rivers was a borderline hall of famer even before lynn arrived. Just my opinion, i wouldnt be mad if lynn won, or andy reid or sean mcvay. Lot of great work done by some coaches.

Losing fangio may be a blow to the bears defense, he was a highly regarded Def coach, but maybe todd bowles will be DC for the bears (if he doesnt join bruce arians in tampa) or they'll promote ed donatell to DC from def backs coach.

In all likelihood, the bears defense will regress next season just because statistically it's highly unlikely they get so many turnovers again. They had 27 int's and only gave up 22 td passes last year. Even if they regress back to a normal amount of turnovers, they should still be a very good or elite defense, and maybe if trubisky continues to improve that should make up for any drop in their defense. We'll see.

Lot of new coaching hires this week, all pretty much seeking the next sean mcvay to turn their young QB into a franchise passer: Adam Gase fired by the fins and hired by the jets to develop sam darnold, kliff kingsbury fired by texas tech hired by USC resigned from usc to take the cardinals job and oversee rosen's development, bruce arians comes out of retirement to try to make tampa bay and jameis winston into a thing, and elway making a counter move and hiring a defensive guy fangio to coach the broncos, cause he doesnt really have a QB anyway (keenum's 2nd year is a team option so they can dump him this offseason if they find a better qb).

Storm Shadow

Veteran
pop... half of the Chargers started playing basketball at the local 24 hour fitness... they all live down the street and Keenan became friends with a few of the really good hoopers there... he's coming back when the season is over...

Level of competition when Keenan shows up is awesome ...

I was guarding Keenan and stole the ball from him... few dribbles later he called Travel on me..I tried to show off in front of him (Fail) and when I said My bad for turning the ball over because Im stoned off my ass... he laughed and said "ME TOO BRO" :)

The Chargers that show up see me in the corner Hot Boxing the Court with my Vape Mod and the circle of youngsters around me trying to get a Rip... We have fun there

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that is so cool tyou got to play with those guys, storm'!
their athleticism must be off the charts and im sure a lot of them dudes can handle the ball like pros
they sound like a cool crowd and i hope you get to play with them again sometime, man
hold down your court and blaze on my man!

while lynn dident make rivers, i think his coaching style took the chargers team to the next level
ive watched a lot of bad chargers football over the years and he seems to have gotten the team on the right track
we will see where it takes them but this is the first time since schottenheimer that i dont think of their coaching as a liability
you are right baba' that there are few guys i can see winning coty
/you pretty much named them and i would also add sean peyton name to the mix
i heard he showed up at a team meeting recently sporting the lombardi trophy, a big box of cash and his super bowl ring to show the team what they were playing for
so do you see moving to nyj as an upgrade for gase or has he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire
the jury might still be out on tannahill and we will see what he can do with darnold
so whats on the menu for this weekend?
it might rain this weekend so im thinking we need to cook up a big pot of chili and maybe have some nice baked potatoes too
chili is something i could eat all day plus its easy to make and i love me potatoes
sunday the mrs and the girl have something fun planned and i might be able to get them to bring me some burgers home
this weekend is going to be awesome and i cant wait for the fun to start!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah but did Keenan look high? Did he have squinty, red eyes? Was he acting a little goofy or silly, giggling or laughing a lot?

Yeah pop, i met a guy who went to rutgers and used to ball with the football team at the rec center, he said even 300lb dudes could dunk. These guys, even the fatties, are all plus athletes. Some may have been recruited for basketball in high school too, i think nick foles had some interest from college basketball teams (he doesnt seem like an explosive athlete but he's 6'7 and can drop step dunk on dudes), randy moss back in the day, allen iverson was a stud high school qb...

Yknow, considering that the chargers won 9 games total before lynn, and lynn won 9 games his first year and 12 games his 2nd year, I think u make a really good point about him being a very good coach. But truthfully speaking, it's him developing a reliable kicking game that may have helped that team more than anything, that by itself may be worth 2-3 wins a year (as i found out with the bears last sunday, Doh!)

I was wondering if someone would mention payton showing a wheelbarrow full of cash and the lombardi to his team and challenging them to win 3 playoff games. Baller move, we'll see if it works out, they beat the eagles by 40pts a month ago but now face big dick nick in the playoffs, and that eagles defense is playing better too.

There's a Fins fan that posts here once in a blue moon, mostly to complain about tannehill. He's an alright qb but lately he's been injured a lot so wouldnt be surprising if they draft another qb, since tannehill is what he is at this point, a qb with a decent floor but limited upside. I mean, dude spent a year in college as a receiver, would any future elite qb do that?

Darnold was up and down as a rookie on a bad team, i think was 2nd in the league in int's to Big Ben but not wholly unexpected, the concern with him coming out of college was turnovers. But he showed mobility and a decent arm and accuracy enough where there's hope he'll be a franchise qb soon. Mayfield had the better season but also had a better team, weird to say that when the browns won 1 game in the previous 2 seasons and the jets won 10 total in those 2 years. I think gase will help bring out the best in darnold, think hes got more upside as a passer than tannehill ever did.

I heard 'real' chili doesnt have beans, do u think thats true Pop? Anyway, chili sounds awesome, you can do a lot with it, in cincinnati they put it on spaghetti noodles with onions and cheese. Maybe u can do that and put it on a tortilla? :biggrin:
If its not too long, i wish u could post up some of ur recipes here, im always down to try new recipes...

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Yeah bro...his eyes were Half Shut and he Smiles alot... His moves are kinda awkward lol... has a bunch of Looney Tunes Cartoon tatts..... and my friends that I ball with became cool with Keenan... They Play online video games with him at night... thats where hes gets ultra baked ...Video Games

Just wanna say I know they werent going all out by any means... but we do have a local baller who owns all of them and when he shows up ... they try as hard as they can even one player who got traded in the off season broke his thumb trying to Dunk on this dude..

This local hooper can hit threes from anywhere on the court no matter how many people are on him.... pretty insane... they all call him Ray Lewis lol

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
beans or no beans is a a topic for debate my man
like hawk said, some places would never consider putting beans in their mix
i can go either way and always use a couple different kind of beans in mine
/mostly kidney beans and pinto or black beans
skyline chili is weird, i think they call it a three way when you get it wiht onions and beans
i would be more than glad to share some of my recipes,baba'
chili is pretty straight forward, cook some onions, garlic and peppers in some oil
if you want your sauce smooth you can hit it with the hand mixer but i like things with texture
add your meat, (or dont, im down with vegitarian cooking too)
i usually add ground beef and pork
once that is browned enough i will deglaze the pan with some stewed tomatoes
season the shit out of it and let it go low and slow
you can soak your beans overnight if you are using fresh or use canned, this weekend im goign with the beans from a can
one thing i like to do is chop up a bunch of veggies and only put like 3/4 in and add the last 1/4 shortly before you serve
it gives it a fresh taste and a crunchy texture
i enjoy cooking all kinds of things so if you are interested just holler
do you do most of the cooking in the house?
the kicking game was a big set back for the chargers last year, dident they lose like four games or something like that because of bad kicks

ive heard that a lot of nfl players are big time gamers, storm'
wasnt there something about ju-ju smith schuster of the steelers getting flack for posting about how much he likes to play video games in his free time
i grew up in the video game generation and used to play but im no where as good as the kids are now days
/makes me want to dust off the xbox and jump on the stix, brother
its amazing how many talented players there are at the local level, esp here in cali
/socal storm?
for whatever reason these guys never played pro but they still can handle the rock and some places the street ball is off the hook

hope you all had a great week and are ready for this weekend
go rams!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so its been raining all morning here in socal and i wonder how the field will look for the rams game later
it might even rain during the game but it looks like its going to be a wet field for tonights playoff game against the cowboys

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's cool that keenan seems like a chill dude, Storm. Ill be rooting for him against the patriots this weekend.

I see, Hawk, so it's just texas chili thats not supposed to have beans. Makes sense. I like beans myself but i respect that some people think it's just filler and would rather have more meat.

Thanks for the recipe pop, sounds like a winner. So how long are you letting it cook after deglazing the pan? 2-3 hours on low? Or maybe just an hour to 90 mins, enough to get the veggies and beans soft?
For seasoning, is it just a bunch of salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin?
I do do most of the cooking in the house, but sometimes i get lazy and go off recipe, which sometimes still works out, sometimes doesnt, lol...
biggrin.gif

I hear the LA memorial coliseum is natural grass, so not only does it get slippery with rain but even in the evening will get slippery with dew. Thats what happened in last years playoff game against atlanta. You would think it would affect both teams equally but since the rams like to play fast (they start 3WR's, 1TE, 1RB 95% of the time to get their fastest guys on the field) maybe it hurts them more?