What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hot Shot No Pest Strips. Do They Kill Spidermite Eggs Too?

prune

Veteran
Hot shot strips should not be put in your garden. Your plants will carry toxins in through till harvest.

Ah, ONE professional answer out of the lot - congratulations man…

The rest of you are the worst kind of morons to be speaking about something you illustrate such overt ignorance about, especially a subject that can have such disastrous health implications.

Yes, pest strips are bad - considered carcinogenic and prohibited for use on MM. Worse yet is it's persistence after application as it permeates surfaces and then volatizes over long periods of time - recontaminating you and your plants over and over again.

Heusinomics

Dang knome. That sounds like a lot mor ISO than Iv seen others use.
Wich sounds cool to me. As I'd luv ta use it in my ipm kit!..

Iv seen several other rec at 1oz/gal of 91% ISO
What %iso hav u used? Did u notice any leaf/plant stress?
N did u use a wetting agent also?

Thanx
Big ups respect and happy growing.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The rest of you are the worst kind of morons to be speaking about something you illustrate such overt ignorance about, especially a subject that can have such disastrous health implications.

Yes, pest strips are bad - considered carcinogenic and prohibited for use on MM. Worse yet is it's persistence after application as it permeates surfaces and then volatizes over long periods of time - recontaminating you and your plants over and over again.

Want to provide some information to back that up? Especially as I already asked this once. Or did you intend to just post insults and back patting?

Barbecued meat is carcinogenic. Everything is carcinogenic in Cali. Neem oil will kill the shit out of you if used improperly (ingested). Does dichlorvos pose an actual threat? If used properly, I don't see it but perhaps I'm wrong. It's happened before.

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
Dang knome. That sounds like a lot mor ISO than Iv seen others use.
Wich sounds cool to me. As I'd luv ta use it in my ipm kit!..

Iv seen several other rec at 1oz/gal of 91% ISO
What %iso hav u used? Did u notice any leaf/plant stress?
N did u use a wetting agent also?

Thanx

at the time i used the 70%
but now that you mentioned it I have a few plants with broadmites that are 2-1/2wks in bloom so I'm looking at some nice nugz loaded with pistils.
my iso 50-50 with 70% killed the spider mites DOA along with the eggs
since last friday Ive been experimenting with 91% iso,
i'm using differing strengths starting at a 25% iso mix
I'm spraying some branches with the BMs
and other pest free plants.
using selected branches last nite i started using a 50-50 mix using 91% heavily dousing down healthy branches
loaded with white pistils.
tonite they looked great! now to try it on the broad mites :)

iso kills any bug,
its just a matter of not killing the plant or damaging it too much.
ive tried to use iso vapors on bagged plants,
thats a tricky one that easily kill the bugs along with the plants.
i gave up on that one.

forgot to add, no wetting agent needed, the alcohol does the job quite well

Heusinomics

Thanx for the input gnome!

Im siked to add ISO to my continued battle with mites, possibly broads and spiders..
But I hav a solid understanding of IPM and mode rotation so I hope to beat them out perminantly and organically.

As you say ISO kills any bugs and I don't belive they can build a resistance to to it.

I am much less exp w the pest strips. And cannot comment on persistence in the environment or weather it does stay in plant tissue.. But I hav read many times that they kill bugs dead. My thoughts are to limit exposure to none if pos... But surely it could b used safely.

Dank frank once said he prefers cut of cuts from moms treated systemically..
So surely any toxins have been reduced many times over. Wich seems legit to me. Tho not a practice we all have time for.

To each there own I say.
Grown themselves oc.

Thanx agn for the input.

first off didn't mean to thumb up your post, i was reaching for the quote button and i missed.

the crux of my reply is, yes it is known to be carcinogenic which is why the instructions say use it for a while then throw it away and don't sleep in the same room as you have it hanging.

http://www.colonialpest.com/proper-use-pest-strips-home/

Heusinomics

at the time i used the 70%
but now that you mentioned it I have a few plants with broadmites that are 2-1/2wks in bloom so I'm looking at some nice nugz loaded with pistils.
my iso 50-50 with 70% killed the spider mites DOA along with the eggs
since last friday Ive been experimenting with 91% iso,
i'm using differing strengths starting at a 25% iso mix
I'm spraying some branches with the BMs
and other pest free plants.
using selected branches last nite i started using a 50-50 mix using 91% heavily dousing down healthy branches
loaded with white pistils.
tonite they looked great! now to try it on the broad mites :)

iso kills any bug,
its just a matter of not killing the plant or damaging it too much.
ive tried to use iso vapors on bagged plants,
thats a tricky one that easily kill the bugs along with the plants.
i gave up on that one.

forgot to add, no wetting agent needed, the alcohol does the job quite well

How did the ISO tests go?
Did you establish a high application threshold for mited plants?
Or did you notice any damage to the plants you applied the 50:50 of 70%?

I'll b doing a test app of ISO n dr bonners peppermint. Starting low considering your advise but more than the average. Wich seem consistent at 1oz/gal. I may go as high as 2oz per gal.

Thanx again for the encuragement and great work.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Weird, two weeks later and still no reply from the Chicken Little crowd.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
while mikell bangs home point, neem application did absolutely diddly to mites...but did make the leaf shine.

azamax was more effective. iso/water kills but doesn't eliminate.

heat worked but also killed plants. (no shit)

troyoy

I know how some of you feel. I had mites for about 18 months. I got a crazy mite problem too. I had them forever and a $100 jug of floramite didn't do shit and they got immune to spider mite bombs before that. I also tried other things. Finally bought forbid at about $225 and it killed them for one crop. Then like an idiot I bought starts from a guy and got them back + fungus knats + powered mildew. Now forbid wont kill them. I guess his mites were already immune to forbid. So I am still looking for something that will kill this bitches. I did learn one thing though, everyone that says buy your own seeds and don't ever bring home starts was right. I have azamax and 10 others in my arsenal. Havent tried them all yet. I guess the guys that say to rotate your mite killers are also right. I will go back to my floramite I guess. These plants are gonna be fucked. I hit these bitches with eagle 20 and that didn't seem to kill the powered mildew. I will probably cut this whole crop down and do my seeds after a crazy cleaning. I understand how depressing it can be to have mites for over a year. It can really get to a guy when things go wrong 5 crops in a row and you had big dreams of making a buck.

Redbuddz

These Spider Mites are a real nuisance. I've also been dealing with them for some time. I use NPS and while they do seem to work for a short period of time they are not breaking the cycle for me. I have used Neem oil too and it also seems to work well when applied but you do really need to keep spraying every 2-3 days for several weeks/months to break the cycle. Problem with spraying neem is it is very hard to get spray on every mite and these fuckers reproduce so often that not killing one mite will lead to a problem a few months down the line.

Roughrider

Hot shots do work for mites. Room has to be sealed, and you can't be rotating your air in and out of your room with big air movers. 7 days and every insect dies.

Cocopal

When making clones I can leave the dome with no holes open for 2 weeks but I do change the air every onve in a while I guess the same principle can apply to bigger plants. But it will get hot even with T5 in a small closet.

Latest posts

Latest posts