What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Home-Grown

Don't forget some of the early 90s White Widow, Blueberry a lot of guys mention. Also the famous late 80s lime green skunk, RKS. Yes the SFV OG is special, the SSH and other Hazes

Some Crosses with Afghani come up, making it a contributing strain.
This is my missing link, even if it has to be extracted from an existing short strain cross including Afghani.

beta

Veteran
Sour Diesel is a bagseed of a bagseed of Chem91. 2 generations removed. That's a big IF on the OG part of your equation. It tastes nothing like chem imo.

First off, that's a whole lot of speculation re: the lineage of Sour D.

Second, go check CSIHumboldt's IG. He's been popping Chem91 SkunkVA S1s and says he's finding plants that are dead ringers for OG Kush in 5-10% of them.

Fuel

Today the plants have to be easy and fast, nothing else. The "no pain, no gain" is over for good.

Coming soon : GMO hemp, one month flowering time under 24/0, all females garanteed with sterile staminates ^^, than put you to sleep for an half hour, but headache for the entire day lol But it taste like an entire candy shop ! With milk shake and cookies !

Medicinal bro, i swear ! Cashier here kid, go ...

beta

Veteran
Today the plants have to be easy and fast, nothing else. The "no pain, no gain" is over for good.

Coming soon : GMO hemp, one month flowering time under 24/0, all females garanteed with sterile staminates ^^, than put you to sleep for an half hour, but headache for the entire day lol But it taste like an entire candy shop ! With milk shake and cookies !

Medicinal bro, i swear ! Cashier here kid, go ...

The world is full of drama queens. Fast and easy? One of the most popular cuts out there right now is Garlic Cookies, 11 week flowering time.

If GMO breeders can make a plant that incredibly fast and super tasty, why would it have a shitty high and give you a headache? If they could manipulate traits like flavor and flowering time they could manipulate traits like the quality of the high too.

Why are people so insistent on romanticizing the past?

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Because today's BUNK does not get me high

Because today's BUNK does not get me high

The world is full of drama queens. Fast and easy? One of the most popular cuts out there right now is Garlic Cookies, 11 week flowering time.

If GMO breeders can make a plant that incredibly fast and super tasty, why would it have a shitty high and give you a headache? If they could manipulate traits like flavor and flowering time they could manipulate traits like the quality of the high too.

Why are people so insistent on romanticizing the past?

That is why.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I think my tolerance is too high to discern great weed anymore. That being said- I'm in prohibitionland where I have probably never got my hands on a 100% genuine elite cut.

EvergreenState

I used to have to walk to school 5 miles, uphill, in a driving rain, with no shoes. You young guys don't know how good you have it.
All kidding aside I think there is great pot in all of the generations. I had some pot green me out and make me trip back in the seventies and I have no idea what it was. Back then you didn't much ask, what kind of pot is this?Somebody had some pot and you smoked it. In the 80's I was on the straight and narrow and didn't smoke at all.
In about 1998 I started smoking again. A young guy I worked with brought me a couple of joints. I went home and fired up a joint and took about 4 or 5 hits. I was out of my mind paranoid and thought, for about an hour or so that I needed to go to the emergency room. I have no idea what that pot was.
In the early 2000's a guy I met gave me a joint and I have no idea what that was. I started smoking it and a Nirvana song came on the radio. It was a live version of a song I'd never heard. I thought, wow that is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. Great pot.
Fast forward to 2012ish and I started growing indoors. I got a cut of Blue Cheese from a dispensary. I grew it out, cured it and took some on a vacation to an Oregon beach town. Fired one up and I sat and laughed until I cried at a movie on tv. I laughed my ass off that night.
About 3 years ago I smoked some Sour Diesel that my friend from Oregon had been growing for years; some of the best pot I've ever smoked. He knew he had gold and he gave out no cuts.
I'm sure I could go down to my favorite dispensary in Portland and pick up several beautiful strains. I think, for growers, the gold is out there but what hasn't changed is that you still have to dig pretty hard to find it. There are still plenty of good people doing some good digging and finding gold.
There are a lot of breeders who are really just business men and they put out new strains every year like auto manufacturers putting out new models trying to stay relevant in a fickle market. I see breeders with 20 or more strains in their menu and I just move on by. When a guy has a whole bunch of strains, you know he's not breeding. I admire breeders like Serious Seeds who have had the majority of their strains for many years. You have to choose carefully where you mine for gold.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to have to walk to school 5 miles, uphill, in a driving rain, with no shoes. You young guys don't know how good you have it.
All kidding aside I think there is great pot in all of the generations. I had some pot green me out and make me trip back in the seventies and I have no idea what it was. Back then you didn't much ask, what kind of pot is this?Somebody had some pot and you smoked it. In the 80's I was on the straight and narrow and didn't smoke at all.
In about 1998 I started smoking again. A young guy I worked with brought me a couple of joints. I went home and fired up a joint and took about 4 or 5 hits. I was out of my mind paranoid and thought, for about an hour or so that I needed to go to the emergency room. I have no idea what that pot was.
In the early 2000's a guy I met gave me a joint and I have no idea what that was. I started smoking it and a Nirvana song came on the radio. It was a live version of a song I'd never heard. I thought, wow that is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. Great pot.
Fast forward to 2012ish and I started growing indoors. I got a cut of Blue Cheese from a dispensary. I grew it out, cured it and took some on a vacation to an Oregon beach town. Fired one up and I sat and laughed until I cried at a movie on tv. I laughed my ass off that night.
About 3 years ago I smoked some Sour Diesel that my friend from Oregon had been growing for years; some of the best pot I've ever smoked. He knew he had gold and he gave out no cuts.
I'm sure I could go down to my favorite dispensary in Portland and pick up several beautiful strains. I think, for growers, the gold is out there but what hasn't changed is that you still have to dig pretty hard to find it. There are still plenty of good people doing some good digging and finding gold.
There are a lot of breeders who are really just business men and they put out new strains every year like auto manufacturers putting out new models trying to stay relevant in a fickle market. I see breeders with 20 or more strains in their menu and I just move on by. When a guy has a whole bunch of strains, you know he's not breeding. I admire breeders like Serious Seeds who have had the majority of their strains for many years. You have to choose carefully where you mine for gold.

I have to disagree with your statement.
Bodhi has quite a few varieties he works with as well as elite clones. His works are much desired and his stable is huge.

As far as finding GOLD goes. It cannot be found where it does not exist.
As well, one persons trash is another persons treasure to the point that some folks despise what is popular just because its popular.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
never had a good dutch or american strain, not sure they exist anymore
or that they ever did, its mostly all hype i reckon

There are literally hundreds of great Dutch and American strains. You must have not been doing it right.

Skunk
Blueberry
Northern lights
OG Kush/Chem
Haze

There is five American strains that are legends and the building blocks of most cannabis today.

:tiphat:

EvergreenState

I have to disagree with your statement.
Bodhi has quite a few varieties he works with as well as elite clones. His works are much desired and his stable is huge.

As far as finding GOLD goes. It cannot be found where it does not exist.
As well, one persons trash is another persons treasure to the point that some folks despise what is popular just because its popular.
Of course there are exceptions to everything but when I see a breeder put out 5 or 6 new strains every year, when he already has twenty, I don't see how he can be doing all of the work necessary to put out high quality that often. Of course many "breeders" don't actually work them. You know that when you grow them and there 8 different phenotypes. I wish some "breeders" would actually work their strains and only release them when there are only a few of phenotypes from which to choose. I believe Chimera has the same philosophy. We growers can't afford to buy and grow a hundred seeds searching for something good. I want the breeders to do that work so I can buy 20 seeds and find some great plants.
You don't know if there is gold somewhere until you start digging and that's why I said to be careful where you dig so you don't waste your time. If you don't, then yes there is probably no gold to be found.
I knew a guy who bought 5 packs of a Mr. Nice strain and I'd say 80% of the females turned out to be nothing but hay. No one treasured that trash. He found two plants he liked and I agreed they were very good, one in particular had a lot going for it but not golden in my book.
I stand by my statement that there has been in the past and there are today, many great plants being produced; even if they have unusual names. I just don't agree with the guys who say the old stuff was great and today's stuff doesn't measure up.
Today, just like in the past, there is great stuff out there and by working on strains from which you find promise, I believe great plants can be found.
Hats off to Bodhi if he can work 20 to 30 strains and keep the quality high.:tiphat:

Scrappy-doo

First off, that's a whole lot of speculation re: the lineage of Sour D.

There' no speculation anymore with ECSD. Chem91 is the grandmother. That's straight from the horse's mouth from Vondo, the guy in the Catskills crew who popped the seed.

Second, go check CSIHumboldt's IG. He's been popping Chem91 SkunkVA S1s and says he's finding plants that are dead ringers for OG Kush in 5-10% of them.

That's interesting... I'll take a look.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I expect a lot of the smoke that got me wasted as a youth only seemed so strong because I was young. My brain was wired differently then ... everything seems new , fresh and exciting when you start out, and this must affect the way the high is perceived?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
There are zero "1" hitter strains in today's scene ... most of the herb around is inbred garbage that just looks visually appealing ...Id give anything for that late 90's Mr Nice SSH... it blows everything available today... out the water bro

G `day Stormy

Green House SSH ...
I believe the late 90s SSH is Nevil`s baby .
Late 90s Shanti and Nevil were supplying Arjan with ganja for his coffee shops .

Shanti bought out Nevil`s remaining stock and moved up to Switzerland circa 2000 .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

707OGBUSH970

The only thing I can say is. How can it be worse if:

1) More people are growing and have legal testing to help them breed.

2) The same cuts are still around. Maybe not available in seed form, or to YOU, but in the 90s, could you always get your favorite top strain? Always just go get a sack of the best Blueberry or SSH or Chem? Yeah, right. Likely you had it a few times and look back with fondness. Just because internet trolls say everything is gone, or some seed company claims to have the last true cut of Urkle or whatever, doest mean that nobody else has it. Hell, Ive been cash cropping for almost 20 years and according to my IC account, Im a newb still. Plenty of people not on the forums who are just doing what they always did. Stuff is around. I lived in Humboldt for 15 years and the cuts we passed around for free or around the max of 5 bucks per clone were enough to make someone today who lives in a nonlegal state not even believe it. Everything made it there, and trust me, a lot of it, the vast majority is somewhere. Probably in NorCal.

3) The only generations who may have claim to better weed were the prehistory days-1970s , as it was possible much of this stuff was lost, but it seems that we have much of it, or enough left to replicate any high you may desire. Ill take indoor legal growing over a couple more landraces and having to grow outside and still not understanding that you had to pull the males.

Have you guys ever actually worked with landraces? It takes generations of breeding to even have something you can predictably flower, especially indoors or in Northern climes. I think we are better of today, as long as we preserve and dont take what we have for granted.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Its all pot for kiddies these days, watered down just like ya beer
7500 different strains, 7480 of them are pretty much the same shit

never had a good dutch or american strain, not sure they exist anymore
or that they ever did, its mostly all hype i reckon

forget the 90s and 2000s pot the 70s and 80s were the go

G `day K

Yep I reminisce about the seeds / stalks / leaves .
Oh gawd I miss them .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

mr.brunch

Veteran
^^oh yes, and those lovely half-seeds that accidentally found their way into a joint.. crackle-pop yuk

HalfArsedFarmer

My 2 Cents for what they're worth.

Like many back in the day I chased the holy grail strains & was lucky enough to get things from family & friends.
I also grew many many strains from seed.

IMO there is as much hype today as there was back in the 90's & 00's the only difference is that the hype of today is is truly that HYPE. No sooner is something the best thing ever created it's usurped within two weeks by the next pretender to the crown.

There is far too much chucking for $$$$.
I see people asking $90 for 5 regular seeds that you know full well have had zero testing done. It's a bad joke. That's not to say all the new banks out there are bad as there are some well skilled cat's that are now able to show their face.

I have some of JJ's gear (Topdawg) he's not cheap but you know he cares & knows his shit!
You cant beat Bodhi, this man collects his own & LOVES the plant.

Adam Dunns new stuff, Air rage & Fromage are both stellar cultivars.

As far as good strains from 90's & 00's some of my faves are as follows.

SSH, this was my go to for a long time, we had a 10 n half week girl that was sublime. It had taste, smell, length of high it had it all.

Shiva, Just a solid hard hitting easy to grow pleasure. After looking around still available in Reg & fem.

Chem.....dont need to add anything

Ae-77 was a solid middle of the road girl that worked well in crosses & was great smoke.

Misty was a great little cultivar & so was Snow white.
The 95 White Widow..... Red eyed nights.

I see no one mention Master Kush, a true legend & still a valuable cultivar if you make your own seeds.

I mean there were so many gems there are too many to mention for me.

As far as some of the newer stuff I have smoked, they look great & taste great but that's where it ends. They dumb you down for 30-50 mins but they don't seem to keep you going past that?

Again just my opinion.

PS for any one wanting TOPP 44 there are still two Dutch seeds banks that sell it in regular form. Home grown Fantaseeds & Weed seed shop. Happy hunting, she is a great little no fuss girl. I may get some myself.

clearheaded

G `day MR

Way more diversity in cannabis off spring than dogs ...
Dog can have a litter of 10 ? once a year . For say 5 years . = 50 offspring .

A cannabis plant can be cloned and kept indefinitely , produce 10s of thousands of seeds every 6 weeks .5 years = millions of seeds .

50 vs a million ??

Quite a difference there in diversity . Enough to exclude dog breeding from my references to cannabis breeding

Thanks for sharin

EB .

just a little fyi number of offspring has little to do with diversity. infact if true breeding cultivar making billion seeds should be relatively limited. so even if makes 1 trillion seeds general ratios of offspring variances hold true if made 100 a year, so again just because can produce more does not equal greater diversity.

Dogs are actually massively diverse. more so then just a few more of certain terpenes cannibinoids or slight differences in size or branching. Dogs can be micro to GIANT. every color and skeletons of difference shapes long har short hair genetic BEHAVIORAL(think genetics involved in that!) traits. webbed feet soft curly hair to straight oilly hair for swimming. yes long haired red skunk cannabis but dogs have more going on then just a turn on and off of a few enzymes to make high or low cbd or more or less terpenolene or myrcene. anyway, if you talked to a geneticist I am confident they would agree WAAY more genetic variety in dogs or at the very least say just because cannabis makes more seeds does not make it more diverse. think dandylions BAZILLION seeds world wide but not all that different. ;) anyway off topic, carry on..

Muleskinner

Veteran
Has anyone mentioned Cinderella99? It's still my favorite short-flowering sativa by far - very unique euphoria/happy feeling I haven't found in other sativas.

most of the strains mentioned as today's best aren't even considered the best by many people - cookies, GG, etc. A lot of "hot" strains today are low-yield and have hermi or health problems. I'm guessing that overall the trend is toward higher potency herb in the last 15 years, but there were highly potent strains in the 90's too.

I've ordered some more old classics from Sensi Seeds and we'll see what happens (Skunk and Durban trial coming up) Most of the old Dutch strains yield very heavy and have good qualities about them like unique taste or high. DJ Short is a genius and BB is an amazing achievement but after 20 different strains based on BB you want something different. (and don't get me started on the weak high of all Purple strains)

It seems like 10-15 years of the southern CA medical scene driving things forward during Prop. 215 has popularized very heavy indica strains. I find the sativas have more variety in high and effects where heavy indicas all make me feel the same.

I did run dutch White Widow last year and the taste was addicting, very strong essence of orange peel. The high was interesting too, I would recommend trying it. Sensi Seeds and Spice of Life are the standard-bearers of old Dutch strains IMO.