What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
Ive grafted an underdog scion to a pre98 bubba s1 rootstock. The underdog was the only shoots of the bubba s1 rootstock. It turned out fine and ran its same life course.

Darpa

These are some of the small plants I use to take scion from. (post 252)

I decided to graft them too. None of the branch are from the original rootstock. There are at least 8 strains grafted on each plants…

The growth pattern of each strains is easily recongnizable. Here is an example of the three leaved cut of God Bud x Straberry Cough

Here is an other multistrain plant that lack some nitrogen...

Darpa

Here is an update of the (((Biker kush x (GG4 x (GSC x Arcata TrainWreck))) root stock on wich several grafts of different genetic were performed.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
very cool darpa! looking forward to the late flower pics. hope they are multicolored jewels by then!

for reference, how tall is that fencing?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway

simply astonishing is all i can say, the plants looks incredible
can not wait to see it in full flower
keep up the great work sir!

Pédetoddy

I am growing some hops and planing plant hops to climb in native trees and make some graft of cannabis in top.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do you graft the earlier maturing varieties to a base stock of later maturing varieties? I have done it both ways and an earlier flowering stock is not the best way. Be sure and use late flowering base stocks to graft the earlier scions to. I also grafted male scions to female base stocks that also worked well, I even did a female base stock with 5 different male scions each a different variety, and they all worked well. They matured and flowered sequentially. Do the grafts you make mature and flower sequentially? Males faster than females of the same variety? Have you tried using an early male and grafted late maturing females to it? I neved tried grafting Auto varieties either as base stocks or scions. You can get an auto to make callus and then preserve it in Vitro as the callus is undiffentiated cells and do not require long photoperiods to keep veg. It is an easy way to find and keep an elite Auto variety alive for mass production of just the one clone, you do need to be able to mass produce the callus (easy) and get the callus to make shoots so you have lots of xplants for production. Some folks have trouble with the callus making shoots.
-SamS

Ok, after performing over 30 grafts on my Biker Kush cross moms, I am ready for a new experiment… before I get in the serious stuff (Doubled Haploids - Tissue Culture)…

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78887&pictureid=1907952&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I'll update the multi strain experiment soon. At the moment I have a 80% grafting succes. It's probably because I get lazy after several successive graft and I don't pay much attention to the details…

However, in the meantime, I wanted to try a new experiment. Cloning several strain in a plug in order to make a root-plant fusion… (always in mind the plant count concept)

So this is what I did, I made a plug from a wine cork…. and then I secured several plant cuts from Dosidos and White Tahoe Cookies selected specimens. Then I warped the cuts on the plug and bagged them for rooting… Hopefully, At the end, the 6 cuts roots stock and trunks will fuse and make a multi strain clone…..

Cork plug:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78459&pictureid=1918749&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Cuts:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78459&pictureid=1918750&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Cuts in ground:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78459&pictureid=1918751&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Humidity protection:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78459&pictureid=1918752&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Darpa

Last edited:

Darpa

Hi Sam! Here are some answer…

Do you graft the earlier maturing varieties to a base stock of later maturing varieties?

I used a well know cut that I developpped over the years, wich I selected from thosand of offsrping and that proved to be a outdoor winner in my climate. It's a heavy producer that get in flowering stage in mid august. (8 weeks of flo) So it's not an early flo or a late one eather.

I did other graft on unknown stoot stock ( mean that I didn't grow them outside). I used few Dosidos cultivar, and supposely fast flowering Big Kush, Green crack and Straberry Couch...

Will see if the Critical + genes will affect the production....

I have done it both ways and an earlier flowering stock is not the best way. Be sure and use late flowering base stocks to graft the earlier scions to. I also grafted male scions to female base stocks that also worked well, I even did a female base stock with 5 different male scions each a different variety, and they all worked well.

I did graft of some of the Sweeties male cut on those plants... at lest one fully developped branch per plants. The Sweeties is a hell of a plant to grow, clone and monstly graft... But the plant is a killer..

Thricome production in grow stage…

They matured and flowered sequentially. Do the grafts you make mature and flower sequentially?

We will see in about 1 month to 2 months. First time I do multi strain graft for fun... and with theses strains. I'm expecting to see early purple buds from Straberry Couch and Green Crack, then an explosion of the Biker Cross of the roots stock... For all the Dosidos cross, I have no idea...

Males faster than females of the same variety? Have you tried using an early male and grafted late maturing females to it?
All the male rootstock I used for graft ecperiment in the past were thron aways... in reason of limited experiment space...
I neved tried grafting Auto varieties either as base stocks or scions. You can get an auto to make callus and then preserve it in Vitro as the callus is undiffentiated cells and do not require long photoperiods to keep veg. It is an easy way to find and keep an elite Auto variety alive for mass production of just the one clone, you do need to be able to mass produce the callus (easy) and get the callus to make shoots so you have lots of xplants for production. Some folks have trouble with the callus making shoots.

There is some interesting research about that. I'll try to post soon. It's not that complicated... But personnaly I didn't tried auto graft yet... I'm working on a high CBD auto floweriing strain instead... But its something I try soon!!!

-SamS

Darpa

very cool darpa! looking forward to the late flower pics. hope they are multicolored jewels by then!

for reference, how tall is that fencing?

It about 6 feets. I can walk behind the plant and you would'nt see me and I am 5,9..... The Biker Kush cross did a 2x streaching last 3 years….. so I'm expecting them to be about 10 to 15 feets talls...

zif

Veteran
Sam, that’s a great question about what happens with grafting autos.

Might shed some light on exactly what role ‘stress’ and/or root restriction plays in triggering autos. I’m betting auto scions will flower almost immediately, but who knows?!

I’ll add a couple auto scions to the next plant I build!

Last edited:
This thread shows some of the best qualities and highest values of the ICMAG community. We started with curiosity and speculation, tempered both with a good dose of skepticism over the first few pages, then the bomb-ass practical experimenters among us went out to show and prove and jeez... Amazing results. Zf, Darpa, Bombud. You guys are the bees knees.

Drewsif

This thread shows some of the best qualities and highest values of the ICMAG community. We started with curiosity and speculation, tempered both with a good dose of skepticism over the first few pages, then the bomb-ass practical experimenters among us went out to show and prove and jeez... Amazing results. Zf, Darpa, Bombud. You guys are the bees knees.

All I see is "Gw did it in the past with DEA approval while you were in prison, and keeps their mouth closed about anything important
until forced to PR."

Icmag taught me to buy GW stock and nothing more.

F2F

Scion cold storage?

Scion cold storage?

This thread is fascinating for someone who has plant number problems/mother keeping limitations like me.

I've been really interested in figuring out how to maintain genetics with minimal upkeep. Clone storage in the fridge works and is a great asset.

Can one prepare a scion and keep it in suspended animation for some period of time, to graft at a later date?!

Cheers!
F2F

Breadwizard

As long as it stays hydrated, and you re cut the scion before grafting, it should work I suppose.

Grafted bonsai plant mothers are great to keep plant numbers down. I do this to keep my strain library down to two plants, mother and father.

F2F

As long as it stays hydrated, and you re cut the scion before grafting, it should work I suppose.

Grafted bonsai plant mothers are great to keep plant numbers down. I do this to keep my strain library down to two plants, mother and father.

Cheers BW. Compiling and archiving a scion library from an entire golden tiger breeders pack is starting to feel possible. Wonder if they might even endure longer storage than clones.

I've done bonsais as well to save on space in a micro veg pod. What I'm thinking of is to drop lots of beans on an OD run, harvest scions and store in fridge, then graft and reestablish those coming from the winning phenos in the OD flower run.

Best
F2F

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I stored 4 inch rooted cuttings in a fridge with TL lights for 6 months or longer, they are at a max of 5C and hardly need watering they also hardly grow, I also kept the light cycle at 1 hour on 4 hours off so only about 4.25 hours of light a day, but because the darkness was never more that 4 hours zero problems with them staying veg. I used soil but others have used rockwool when I told them how I did it. The fridge had lights with timers inside the fridge. I used 3 copies of each clone incase I had any losses.
-SamS

This thread is fascinating for someone who has plant number problems/mother keeping limitations like me.

I've been really interested in figuring out how to maintain genetics with minimal upkeep. Clone storage in the fridge works and is a great asset.

Can one prepare a scion and keep it in suspended animation for some period of time, to graft at a later date?!

Cheers!
F2F