What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO and BLUMATS FTW!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
good rule of thumb when setting blumats is to heavily water then wait till the next day and then set your blumat. that should give you the optimal moisture content. you dont want it sopping wet with runoff, just thoroughly moistened throughout

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
haha just when i finish setting up a drip system i see some shit like this...

I've heard DHF preaching them for a while and i know Blumats are the shit, but i just can't see getting them dialed in for a vertical setup without some spit and elbow grease (i'm lookin at Bobblehead here).. Horizontal seems to work like a charm though.

so if i want to water 36 plants in 3-5 gal pots, what do i need to order?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
took some pics with the phone. came out pretty good actually. last pic is of S@nnies gear. bottom two are the jackberry X KO kush and the top four are herijuana. i hope a get a keeper out of each strain. i like ordering new seeds and all but it would be nice to find "the one" and just focus on it lol

ive got five herijuana seeds left. maybe i will look for a male down the road and do a jackberry kush cross with herijuana and i can call it heroin-berry lol

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 37

Desert Hydro

Veteran
you would need three deck and patio kits at 75 a piece. then you could elevate a nice big rez, i use a food grade 20 gal barrel with a blumat rez fitting drilled into the bottom and let gravity do the rest. as long as you have it up a few feet in the air im sure the weight of 20gals of water would be enough to force it down the lines depending on how high we are talking. i could see a stadium working out quite well as long as its not super huge

Bonzo

Veteran
heroin-berry! LMOA!! :D thats the way i see it too...should be no problem in a stadium as long as rez is big enough, high enough and maybe kept at a constant level with a float thingy/overflow thingy with main rez below...plants look happy DH!! :) heroin-berry!! :D

instead of 3 patio kits i think sustainable village had a 50 pack for around 205 bucks...:)

El Pollo Diablo

Veteran
Hey great topic!:tiphat:

Im a blumat user, too. And im thinkin about switching to coco, too after reading this fred^^

But I still got some questions left. Do you treat your Coco with blumats just like soil?! Normally when you grow with coco, you need to have 20% runoff with every water perdiod. So here you havent that? Works just like blumats with soil?

Has the coco always to be wet?! I'm asking because I want to do it simple then. Just put the plants on the ground without a table a.s.o...

Would be an easy and nice way to grow with coco again:) :dance013:

Much greetz:tumbleweed:

Edit: How big are your pots?! When I take 6.5liter Tekus, do you think 1 blumat each is enough?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
the coco growers guide sticky is pretty good and to the point. just has a few good general rules of thumb for coco. presoak coco with light nutes and heavy calmag. keep coco moist all the time. no need for runoff with blumats. just always moist.

i forgot about the 50 pack from sustainable! thats a pretty damn good deal. when i go full scale i'll have to pick one up. hopefully sooner than later ;)

Marn

Would the Tropf ones be too big for 2 gallon smart pots? Also, where's the best place to order these from?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hell no! thats what im running ;) well right now they are in baby pots but they will be in 2 gal smart pots. you can run up to 5 gallons with one blumat

El Pollo Diablo

Veteran
the coco growers guide sticky is pretty good and to the point. just has a few good general rules of thumb for coco. presoak coco with light nutes and heavy calmag. keep coco moist all the time. no need for runoff with blumats. just always moist.

i forgot about the 50 pack from sustainable! thats a pretty damn good deal. when i go full scale i'll have to pick one up. hopefully sooner than later ;)

Hey thank you for your answer!

So the blumats are adjusted a bit mor open than on soil? Or in the same way?

Do you reuse your coco? I could think would be a bigger washing action when growing with no runoff?! Or do you just pack it in water and then presoak with light nutes again and so on...?

Much greetz:tiphat:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
missed the second q marn. sustainable village carries the deck and patio kits, 50 pack kits and all the accessories. planet earth hydro has the kits as well as ebay. JUST BE SURE YOU GET THE DECK AND PATIO KIT, THE TROPF BLUMAT! NOT THE JUNIORS!! you dont need the extra drippers. the maxis are good for five gallon containers and up because they take moisture reading from deeper in the pot.

im reusing my coco right now. just be sure you flush well and it will be fine. i even forgot to flush a few plants cuz of timing but the coco was fine to use. i was scared for my seedlings and clones but they did fine. DRIP CLEAN IS A MUST HAVE FOR COCO...... ok its not truly a necessity lol but it really is amazing and i highly reccomend it, ESPECIALLY WITH TINY DRIP LINES

pollo, the best way to set them is to water the shit out of your coco, wait about a day and then stick in the blumat and adjust to where you have a clinging droplet on the end of the dripline. boom goes the dynamite, youre done!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
headed to a hydro shop tomorrow to pick up my coco and shit. was having issues ordering online and out of stocks......... monday will be transplant day and day one of 12/12 for the big clones and herijuanas. im gonna let the jackberry kushes veg another month or so lol. they should be straight DANK. sounds like my kind of cross. jack herer x blueberry X ko kush. they look super thick with an indica structure and good side branches. i made a bunch of clones using the rapid rooters i had left and then some jiffy pellets to see if they would work as well. still waiting on roots but i think the jiffys are fine to use and theyre cheap and readily available. we shall see how they turn out. havent lost any yet.

the clones are getting huge and now i know how they grow ive trimmed them to compliment their structure and grow style. they will also get tomatoe caged or heavily staked to hold them in place this time BEFORE it becomes an issue lol

D

DHF

Glad the blumat`s are workin out for yas Bro....and yeah....

Since it`s a gravity fed setup , there`s an upgrade of runnin a rez on the floor and a powerhead or similar pump to be ableta keep juice pumped up to the top smaller rez that`s elevated with an overflow that drains back in the rez beneath for constant down pressure on the carrots/cones for optimum juice distribution with vertical stadiums or rack setups Shcrews......and...

Dripclean ftw @ 1 ml per gal....and ....plant saucers under each container to know if any cones/sensors ever lose vacuum and have runaway runoff....

Excellent info DH bout the soak the piss outta the transplants and then add the cones and dial em down to a cling , but...the plant saucers will be your insurance policy ftw....anyways....

Good luck...DHF...:ying:....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering if any of you were using Botanicare Ready-Grow Aeration Mix with the blumats. I know that Lazyman was using this combination with good results, and was wondering what others had experienced. I just picked up a couple of bags to try out - I've never used coco before, so it should be interesting. I've been really tempted to go full hydro, but damn I like my blumat setup.......

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i think the only way you will like full on hydro better is if you got an ebb and grow or a flow and grow. they are amazing in their own right. they are set it and forget types as well. just fill the drum and check ph daily. thats it. i loved mine but sold it on CL when i had no room for it. i miss it, but i love the simplicity of coco. the only thing i would ever switch to is the titan controls flow n grow. i might pick one up in the near future if things go well.

anyways, here are the bitches. going to pick up coco tomorrow and then transplant. you cant even see the tray underneath them anymore! they filled in so well.

took a pic of how the coco and blumats should look. hope this helps someone out with getting them dialed in.

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 42

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i think the only way you will like full on hydro better is if you got an ebb and grow or a flow and grow. they are amazing in their own right. they are set it and forget types as well. just fill the drum and check ph daily. thats it. i loved mine but sold it on CL when i had no room for it. i miss it, but i love the simplicity of coco. the only thing i would ever switch to is the titan controls flow n grow. i might pick one up in the near future if things go well.

anyways, here are the bitches. going to pick up coco tomorrow and then transplant. you cant even see the tray underneath them anymore! they filled in so well.

took a pic of how the coco and blumats should look. hope this helps someone out with getting them dialed in.

shit, im SWITCHING from Flood and Drain to Blumats....

A side by side with canna coco and Botanicare Aeration formula will be done...

Just waiting for this slow ass Kent delivery for the 3/32" barbs....

Marn

Thanks for the info. I have a small 5 plant setup so I won't need many but i'm def gonna look into giving them a try. I'm not always home when the lights are on so at least I won't have to worry about them being under watered.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
tonight is going to be a busy night :) harvest, transplant, and flower tent setup for blumats. i got my coco, my air pots should arrive tonight. hell yeah. i looked at the aeration mix while at the shop. just seems to be 50/50 coir/perlite mix. for the price i could make twice as much almost. hopefully it works out for you guys. if it does i will start amending my coco with a ton of perlite.

ooooohhhh and i got the OK to order new seeds lol. gonna get serious seeds chronic and moscas c99 bx1. then the mosca comes with 5 free sweet tooth which ive wanted to try for a couple years but SOTF is always out lol and then they throw in a bunch of other freebies as well.

if you are wondering "why chronic?" i still have yet to find my go to commercial strain that yields fat good quality buds. the ww/bb kinda let me down a bit. the rest of my strains are all top shelf but i want one great yielder as well. plus with the way i flush and cure, it will still kick some major ass.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the mosca comes with 5 free sweet tooth which ive wanted to try for a couple years but SOTF is always out lol and then they throw in a bunch of other freebies as well.

Better look closer at the Mosca Sweet Tooth description - it isn't the same as the Sweet Tooth from SOTF. This is Mosca's "tribute" to Sweet Tooth. I did the same thing.