What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who uses Phosphites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I've noticed some of my plants really respond better to phosphite based bloom additives than phosphates. I really dig on the higrocorp Pure Flowers. 0-30-20 NPK my UK cheese cut absolutely loves it. her leaves are always standing straight up after feedings.

So what do you use?

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
i think it's weird that it hasn't been discussed more around here. i did a search for phosphites on IC and it turned up almost nothing. it's definitely something that is useful for what we do.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i think it's weird that it hasn't been discussed more around here. i did a search for phosphites on IC and it turned up almost nothing. it's definitely something that is useful for what we do.

the more experienced growers know about and use it, its kinda a little secret....... its made to be used as a foliar. haven't tried it that way, and have excellent results in my res.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
the more experienced growers know about and use it, its kinda a little secret....... its made to be used as a foliar. haven't tried it that way, and have excellent results in my res.

yeah, i haven't either. I've just used it on my soil plants and put a bit into some stand alone DWC buckets. really is worth the extra money. my room isn't in the greatest shape right now environmentally, but my plants are still pumping out pretty much record size nugs. can't wait to use it in a clean environment on a couple of new projects.

watson540

from my experience (most) icmaggers dont care about any nute that doesnt say AN on it.. now RIU has some awesome threads on "fertilizers" (tho you have to put up with the "atmosphere" over there to read it)

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
I don't know about that statement. most of the biggest and best growers on here won't touch AN. I would say WAY more people use GH here than AN.

watson540

I know i guess im jaded cause my feeble attempts at the quest for cheap dry nutes failrd at icmag :)

in all honesty ive never heard of a phosphite, I thought it was a spelling error

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Phosphite
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The phosphite ion (HPO32−) is a polyatomic ion with a phosphorus central atom where phosphorus has an oxidation state of +3.[1] Its geometry is approximately tetrahedral.[2]

The bonding can be described in terms of a number of resonance canonicals, (there are three equivalent canonicals containing a single double bond) effectively delocalising the negative charges across the three equivalent oxygen atoms.

Many phosphite salts, such as ammonium phosphite, are highly water soluble. The term phosphite is sometimes used to mean phosphite ester, an organophosphorus compound with the formula P(OR)3.

grapeman

Veteran
About 18 years ago I tried phosphites foliar on grapes in lieu of phos acid through the drip. Over the next few years I perfected my regimen and all but eliminated the use of phos acid. I used a product called "Nutri-Phite", which is an Ag phosphite product developed up near Fresno Ca.

Playing around over the last couple of years on this crop, I've looked for a phosphite based phos product but none of the big nute companies seem to be aware of the benefits. Everyone makes their phos via phos acid. Believe it or not, there are still plenty of growers who don't know or use a phosphites based nutrient.

Reading thru some threads a few months ago I saw someone mentions pure flowers and then krunch piped in about the phosphites, so i ordered a bottle. I did not want to risk using a product labeled for qts./acre into a few dozen plants.

I already know the praises of phosphites so I don't need to be persuaded, but I wish Pro Flowers would make a product without the K also. It would give us more control and that is what we can get in the ag market... many different flavors of Nutriphite, some with K, CA, seaweed etc. See here

http://www.biagro.com/nutri_phite/np_html/np_content_line_up.html

Anyway, phosphite is best used via foliar. It can also be used in the soil (or hydro) but the delivery system is best suited via the leaf, IMO.

My 2 cents.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
I was looking at the nutri-phite line yesterday. looks very interesting. and I also wish that higrocorp would make a phosphite only product. like maybe 0-35-0 or something.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
I start using pure flowers in week 4. and I use it at a way higher rate than instructed and my plants love it. i'm at more like 1tsp per gallon.

grapeman

Veteran
I've use it with base nutes such as PBP. NP. I've also used it with my teas & kelp, sulfate of potash, humic, fish products and H & G Bio 1 component. I start around week 2 of flower with light foliar apps as I am a big believer that by the time the plant needs it, if it is not there, you are late to the party. I foliar up to, and including week 5, then finish with a couple of soil apps.

My only concern is that folks in the Tea forums claim that high level of P will kill the micro benes, so I also apply teas without the phosphites also. But my experience on other crops lead me to believe that this concern is overblown.

I do not have a dialed in regimin as of now. A work in progress.

opt1c

Veteran
i use pure flowers in rdwc systems; i basically add pure flowers to up the ppms back to where i want em so i don't really measure how much i use and i do this in bloom as i think plants in water culture don't care where they get there P and K as long as its there. pure flowers allows me to eliminate any N the A&B nute mixes often always have

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
i just picked up some humboldt nutrients ginormous. it's got some potassium phosphite in it. npk is 0-18-16. not quite what I want, but I'll try it till I can get some more pure flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.