What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Human Shit is good Fertiliser

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There must be something almost narcotic about human baby shit to dogs methinks.. - it got to the stage where one of the dogs tried to relieve the baby of its soiled diaper - while the baby was still wearing it! - so it could get a 'hot lunch'....

Diaper changing doggie?

Maybe our waste is one of our greatest resources? - but it is difficult to see it that way - who has not run or swum from a floater in the swimming pool?

I think baby shit must taste special. Maybe because it is milk based? I regularly walk a dog who likes to eat shit. He was worse as a puppy but you still have to keep an eye on him. But when he gets onto a pasture that's held calves, it's hopeless. He's like a kid in a candy store.

But then again, if I catch a glimpse of a piece of toilet paper sticking out from under a rock I've got to shadow this animal. And of course afterwards he'll want to give ya a big sloppy kiss.

Parasitic worms; what goes around, comes around.

theJointedOne

Veteran
1owci4.jpg

baduy

Human manure is the best as long as the human in question is not a meat eater, think about how rich human diet is compared to one of a horse, a sheep or a bull. Once correctly composted it looks like any other type of manure, you could handle it with your bare hand. I always used manure from my dry toilets, even for my vegetables and never caught any disease, Once again it's all about the composting process if your pile gets hot enough for long enough you don't need to worry about parasites, worms or whatever.
To pee in a bucket full of coal from a fire of small wood and let it cook gives a great fertilizer for the vegetative stage too.

Klompen

Several years back I drafted a design for a self contained toilet for complete digestion of feces by composting worms. I'm just waiting for the right time to hit the patent office. When humans realize it is better to handle their own waste instead of passing it off to.....out of sight, out of mind.:)

Not a bad idea, but I wonder if it might be good to have a two-stage system where soldier flies work on the first stage and worms eat their frass.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “good shit, man...”

Think I’ll stick to the usual nutes though

therevverend

Veteran
The idea that carnivore manure is bad and herbivore manure is good, not true. In the biosolids (manure made from human shit) articles I linked to earlier it talks about how in the 19th century in the US there was a business collecting everyone's feces, hauling it to the farms, and breaking it down into manure. Today more and more American cities are converting their sewage into manure to sell to farmers. Despite the high meat diet of most Americans.

Which brings up the point that if you're squeamish about smoking pot or eating food grown from human fertilizer, you probably already have considering a label isn't required. If you want to avoid this eventuality buy organic biosolids are not approved. Probably for good reason.

This sort of discussion is yet another example of how cut off we are from our food sources. When granny dies we don't throw her in the compost pile. We either seal her in a casket that keeps her molecules from mixing with the earth or vaporize her down into a few handfuls of ash.

One idea of mine is that as humans have replaced animals that die, rot or are scavenged and become part of the soil. The earth is slowly losing it's fertility. We're removing huge amounts of biomass and not replacing it. At least the increase in biosolid use is countering this trend a little bit.

At Snoqualmie Pass in Washington the little town and ski resort process all their sewage and spray it out into a forest. My friend refers to it as the 'poopy forest'. There's lots of signs warning people what a shitty place it is.

Klompen

How do you keep the flies off your butthole?
...or is that part of the design? :chin:

They don't actually fly. Just need to put a valve on the poop shoot to keep them in there. They're aggressive eaters, and they will eat damn near anything(even things worms can't handle)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
KELLOGG fertilizer company uses human excrement in their products and their shit is from Los Angeles metro area, from what I understand.

I think folks are WAY cutoff from the reality of things in general.

We've made a whole bunch of natural processes taboo...
such as LOUD farting in public...
Everybody thinks it's funny so why is it taboo?

MedResearcher

Veteran
I'll stick with raw salts.... and won't ever knowingly smoke human shit weed.... If I have smoked it in the past it was due to ignorance... :puke:

This might be a reason to pass on "organic" dispensary weed too...

Who determines what is organically grown pot and not organically grown pot in a dispensary?

Are they monitoring the growers and what they use to grow?

I'd definitely want to know if they used human excrement to grow the weed I might be purchasing...

Yet another reason I'm glad I grow my own!!

Have friends who are Cali licensed producers. They claim, organic, biodynamic, sustainable. Their compost source is human manure.

I did look at the compost, and it had an insane amount of worms in it, and was very very dark thick and moist. I did not stick my hand in it though.

Mr^^