What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch pilot experiment: LEGALLY growing organic female hemp flowers high in CBD

Santalum

How about you OC? What is your experience of Finola being able to 'go again' if you took the top third at flowering? I can imagine sowing rate would have a great effect of the structure of the plant. Higher densities encouraging single stems. Therefore harveting the top third should in theory encourage the plant, assuming nutrient and moisture levels can support, to try pushing out another flower? This would have a great effect on the economics of production to have two harvests from the one establishment cost.

oldchuck

Veteran
I have not tried topping Finola. I have my doubts you would gain anything. I do know that, compared to other weed I have grown, it does not like to be disturbed. Finola does poorly when transplanted, doesn't like hard ground, and has a relatively weak stem. It doesn't grow bushy and tolerates crowding fairly well.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You have to cross it with a good Chinese variety which are very bushy.

picture.php

Keep on growing :)

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
i'd start with the basics like temperature and ph, in the most basic sense you can get the trichs to sink and the remaining plant material to float
I''m not sure on the exact science behind soaking the separated trics in something like a citric acid solution but it does something to remove the waxes and other stuff from the cuticle and leaves you with a much cleaner, higher potent piece of hash when done.

Santalum

Why is it that when it comes to cannabinoid profiling, in cannabis, protocol assumes a sensimilla grown female, whereas in hemp the assumption is a fertilized female. The question I would like to have answered is what uptick in cannabinoid yields (particularly CBD) can generally be expected for any given hemp variety? Is it 5% or even 50%? Anybody know of any research on this in the public domain? Thanks in advance

urrrrr

I have bigger problem than you, 40 ha of Finola...
And I think isopropyl is the choice. Technology how to get the isopropyl on to the plant and getting it off is the biggest problem now. Maybe shower them, with alcohol at temperature -100 and pressing it out with belt press, and after that I have 500l distillator, so I can get the alcohol back and use it again. CO2 is still expensive now, I cant see how it is possible to extract so much with CO2.

offthehook

Veteran
How about you OC? What is your experience of Finola being able to 'go again' if you took the top third at flowering? I can imagine sowing rate would have a great effect of the structure of the plant. Higher densities encouraging single stems. Therefore harveting the top third should in theory encourage the plant, assuming nutrient and moisture levels can support, to try pushing out another flower? This would have a great effect on the economics of production to have two harvests from the one establishment cost.

Finola behaves differently at higher latitudes with longer sun hours.

Here at 65 they would continue to make new pistils still late in September and even after an initial pollination with ripened up seeds.

So provided they get plenty of sun hours a day, your Idea could potentially be working out fine with Finola.

Gday Dutchy
Do you have a reference for this please? Thankyou in advance

There are quite some animal and human studies using a dose of 5 mg/kg per day. Here are two examples. Keep in mind that some of these studies different administration routes.

Cannabidiol and leukocyte number
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maciej_Jankowski2/publication/51440572_Cannabidiol-induced_lymphopenia_does_not_involve_NKT_and_NK_cells/links/00463524d7b2ad939e000000.pdf

Epilepsy clinical studie (5 mg/kg per day and up)
https://www.aesnet.org/sites/default/files/file_attach/Meeting/Press/New%20Reports%20of%20Epidiolex%20Efficacy%20and%20Safety%20Presented%20at%20the%20AES%20Annual%20Meeting%20(1).pdf

Here's an interesting study meta-study (2011) on the effects of CBD in vivo in animals and human. Even showing data in monkeys given extremely high doses 150-300 mg/kg. No surprise... quite some monkeys died http://www.medicinalgenomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bergamaschi_2011.pdf

Though it must be said that there is also evidence for low dose treatment. There's also some evidence suggesting cannabinoids have a biphasic dose response effect. Meaning at higher doses it has the reverse effect from lower doses. Down regulation of receptors that are triggered by cannabinoids is a potential issue with high doses. Which in turn also effects the endocannabinoid balance. Here's an interesting article on lower dose treatment.
http://www.unitedpatientsgroup.com/blog/2015/03/18/doctors-weigh-in-medical-cannabis-dosing-why-less-may-be-more/

I think the moral of the story is CBD dosing is quite complex and the medical community still has a lot of unanswered questions.

I have bigger problem than you, 40 ha of Finola...
And I think isopropyl is the choice. Technology how to get the isopropyl on to the plant and getting it off is the biggest problem now. Maybe shower them, with alcohol at temperature -100 and pressing it out with belt press, and after that I have 500l distillator, so I can get the alcohol back and use it again. CO2 is still expensive now, I cant see how it is possible to extract so much with CO2.

What you have in mind could be quite a challenge to make it work. Openly working with solvents like that brings a fire/explosion risk. And the losses of solvent are quite significant. I would not go for a belt press but a closed system with a vacuum pump with cold trap/condenser to take back the alcohol. To get this approach to work would be a considerable challenge. Would you be using fresh of dried plant material? If you use dried than you can expect higher solvent losses due to the plant material soaking up the solvent.

I suspect that most of the CO2 extracts are done on gathered trichome material. Not on the entire plant.

Another option that is considerably cheaper is making 'water hash'. Make a big drum (e.g. 2 meters) with 250 micron screen that is partially submerged in a 1000 liter ice water 0°C bath. Fill the drum with plant material and let it slowly tumble/turn for 15 minutes. One of the drawbacks here is to filter 1000 liters of water through a 15-25 micron screen to catch all the trichomes. Another draw back is the possible dissolution of valuable (partially water soluble) compounds in the water. On top of that this technique is quite time consuming.

As I wrote before dislodging the trichomes makes more sense. We recently made some good steps in working with treating plant material with liquid nitrogen (-196°C) to cool the trichomes to dislodge them. Big advantage here is that this technique is quite fast and leaves the plant material dry (good animal feed). Once we have a made some more progress and have a clearer understanding on the variables at play I'll share the info here.

karl.uk

Dutch,
Why are you planting later this year. (we are sowing 27/05)

Green Machine,
What strain of hemp are you smoking ? I didnt think hemp 'relaxed' you due to the small amount of THC in it. ????

EIHA + sowing Finola location 1

EIHA + sowing Finola location 1

It was good to be at the EIHA conference. I especially liked the talk by Dr. Franjo Grotenhermen who presented data on basic and clinical CBD research! Very interesting to see that most of the medical benefits only start at around 100-800 mg per day, sometimes even up to 1500 mg! Quite peculiar as these dose ranges would cost the patient somewhere around 70-100 euro's with most of the current prices out there for CBD oil!

I also enjoyed talking to Dr. Robert Melamede, especially hearing about his view on the fat vs. sugar metabolism in regards to endocannabinoid system health and the importance of poly unsaturated fatty acids (watch the omega 3-6 balance!).

Dutch,
Why are you planting later this year. (we are sowing 27/05)
No particular reason.

We are sowing in two different locations this year. One of the locations (from now on location 1) we just (23rd of May) planted some 85.000 Finola seeds on a strip of land 3 x 400 meters (0,12 ha). That's around 60 kg/ha. Instead of the usual 30 kg/ha we sowed it extra dense to see if it all still has a nice coverage (30 kg/ha equivalent) once we cull the males (sensimilla). Location #2 we sow in one week and see if we can vary the sowing density to see what the ideal density is for sensimilla Finola grow.

Planted 2 acres of Finola this morning !!! Next big job, pulling the males !!

AWESOME! Congratulations! Please feel free to post pictures :) Some questions for you:

- At what density did you sow?
- How are you going to cull the males?
- When do you plan to harvest?
- How do you plan to harvest?
- What do you have in mind for processing & extracting?

karl.uk

AWESOME! Congratulations! Please feel free to post pictures :) Some questions for you:

- At what density did you sow?
- How are you going to cull the males?
- When do you plan to harvest?
- How do you plan to harvest?
- What do you have in mind for processing & extracting?

Dutch, we sown at 35kg/HA, based on pulling the males.
We are going to walk the field and pull them (timeconsuming I know)
Harvest we would expect end of August, to beginning of Sept, depenant on weather.
Harvest, we intend to use a cutter set half way up the Finola.
Now Processing and extract, we expect to dislodge the Tricomes, then cold water hash extraction, and/or alcohol, and then distill, to extract oil.......
Keep you all upto speed with picture to follow.

Latest posts

Latest posts