What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

French press coffee makers

steve_reeves

After looking into making my own hemp seed beverages, as well as other teas, I became interested in French coffee makers. A French press coffee maker is a pitcher with a rod attached to the lid with a filter on it. After the beverage is done brewing, you press the plunger down and the filter pushes the material down and it strains it out.

After buying my first French press, a Primula, I was pleased at first, the first couple beverages coming out great, but wanted to modify the design a little bit or shop around for a new one. I felt the filter should be able to be removed and come apart for cleaning, as little pieces of debris would get stuck in it. This was my sketch of French press I then designed.

The top piece of the filter should unscrew from the rod attached to the lid. The top piece should then screw or snap into the bottom piece, holding the filter in the middle of them. Perhaps a rubber ring would then go around them to help seal the filter inside the pitcher.

Does anyone have any reviews for a better French press, or know how to clean my Primula?

k-s-p

Veteran
There may be some better ones on the market, but I have a Bodum French press, and you can in fact take the filter apart for cleaning. I've had mine for about 10 years now. Good luck!

3.jpg

captain planet

Veteran
Mines a bodum, comes apart like that, great coffee when you get the hang of it,..... Sometimes the keurig is just quicker tho :)

thefundu

You may buy a Bodum

You may buy a Bodum

Bodum's are best when it comes to French Presses. They give the perfect things in this category. Another good piece to consider is the Kona French Press. They don't have many options but their single design has surpassed many superior one's. Have a look at this List of Top French Presses

growingcrazy

Here is my method...lol

1qt mason jar with fresh grounds and hot water. Once ready filter through a fine strainer into cup.

I have a bodum and a couple other french presses collecting dust now.

For some reason the flavor is much better from the strainer, at least IMO so far.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you posting here without electricity?

I highly recommend the big ass insulated stainless steel Bodum. Chambourg or some such floufy frogger name. It's worth the added cost if you like hot french press coffee over rapidly cooling coffee.

I want me one of those little rinky dink drippers they use in Viet restaurants. And a gallon of sweetened condensed milk.

Dabtime

I recently got into cold brewing coffee and a french press works great. With about a 7:1 ratio of room temperature water and fresh coarse grounds and a brew time of about 12-24 hours in the fridge, you end up with a very strong brew with a higher caffeine content and much lower acidity. Try it, it's damn good.

John Tea

I use a French press to make tea, brewed from loose leaf. Of course one has to like tea for that to even come up, but most loose leaf tea is nothing like a Lipton tea bag, and black tea (which typically tastes nothing like tea bag versions) is only one part of the range.

No one asked, but I'll mention the method. I use what would probably be 3 grams of tea (I don't weight it though, just a little in the base of a small French press) and around 6 ounces of water (temperature depends on the tea type--kind of a long story, that part), and brew multiple times for around 3 minutes per infusion, generally increasing times as you go. Really experimenting adjusts for preference, since people like different teas at different strengths, and the same approach doesn't work out as well for all types of tea.

Cold brewing works for tea too, using the same approach just mentioned in another post. I never use it for unbrewed tea but I do use it to get the last out of tea that I've brewed a couple of times already. The effect is the same as listed; the flavor range shifts when brewed that way, with less astringency, and in some cases more sweetness or slightly different flavors. It would work well for a tea type like Darjeeling, or for green teas, for which astringency might be an issue (which depends on the version of the tea).

spazspaz

I have a Secura all-stainless, cheapo. Pretty pleased with the quality and value, but I put it away in favor of a ceramic drip cone. The press wasn't big enough for my morning revival and it's too much fuss to clean. I did, however, recently get the press out of storage after having to use bleached paper towels in the cone set up when I ran out of filters. Foul.

I like the cold-brew thing in summer, filtered through my cone. Nice afternoon dose method.

Easy7

Veteran
I also use a french press for my 100% arabica coffee beans ground up. Problem is, like those crystal deodorants, they break. I've gone through 2 already of the french presses. On a third one now, a larger press. Just nuke the water and I'm ready to make my coffee. Problem is, sometimes the water is hot before I've ground all my beans. The pressure of morning slumber and getting my shit together.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i use this Secura stainless press and the screen removes for easy cleaning.

...and at 50ozs it is big enough to do the job for me.

...i've very recently begun roasting my own green coffee beans as well and while it's a bit of a hassle, the resulting coffee is well worth the effort.

peace, bozo

spazspaz

By the way, regarding the Secura-tization of the coffee world, they make a great stainless steel-lined electric water kettle. Fast. Inexpensive. Civilized.