What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Time Grower with a Problem

I

its just sky fi

Hi everyone, so i'm not sure what the problem is... i thought it might be ph, but i bought a soil ph/Nitrogen/phosphate/potash tester (capsules mixed with water and soil in a clear case that changes color)... it said that the soil was slightly acidic. The soil was expert gardner premixed general purpose potting soil. has less than 1% of any nutrient, peat moss based, with perlite mixed in. I added no extra perlite. My second thought was that they might be rootbound and need a transplant. I have been giving schultz plant food plus 10-15-10 for the past week every other watering, i hope im not overwatering, trying to let them tell me when they are ready... but anyways the pics should speak for themselves

I

its just sky fi

I fed them full strength nutes last night of schultz 20-30-20, hopefully they will be doing better by the time I get home.

I chocked it up to nitrogen defficiency, since I have the 0 replies :(

roadrcr

Well

Well

For starters roots do not like light . put some drainage and your feeding a little strong for small plants .. altho I don think thats burn . I would flush .

Last edited:
I

its just sky fi

i have drainage holes in the bottom of all the bottles, some of the bottles are taped up and others arent. I will try it out, i just got home and checked the plants and they still looke pretty comprable to yesterday... and since i watered yesterday would a flush really be in order yet or should i wait a couple days?

Sirius

its just sky fi said:
i have drainage holes in the bottom of all the bottles, some of the bottles are taped up and others arent.

Why wouldn't you finish the job and keep those roots from being exposed to light?

I think they need a transplant, for one thing.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
They deffo should be repotted asap, at which point I'd hold off feeding them for a bit as they'll find what they need in the peat moss. The yellowing on that lower leaf looks like it hasn't recived much light, what lighting are you using and how densely packed are your plants?

I

its just sky fi

Sirius said:
Why wouldn't you finish the job and keep those roots from being exposed to light?

I think they need a transplant, for one thing.

Well I was following drbudgreengene's sog cfl micro grow, and he didn't tape up his bottles (but he specifically mentioned his strain didn't seem to mind it). I will tape them up tonight, I can't repot until tomorrow... trying to think what to repot up to seeing how I want to hang these from hooks on the wall around the lights... The lights are 3 40w Cool white CFL's, and 3 42w warm white CFL's

the cabinet is still in construction, and I have been trying to figure out how to hang my plants to make the most of the space... holepunched the top of a bottle and hung it on a hook and it works well.... would have to maybe rubber band a baggy around the bottom to catch runoff though so there wouldn't be a mess...

pic for clarification

Last edited:

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
If the leaves are looking that bad, in a pot that is relatively roomy for plants of that size, under such minimal lighting, your drain holes are nowhere near large enough. And get those roots protected from the light. You've got bad root zone conditions. It's written in the color and also shape of the leaves. How many sets of leaves did your plants have when you began the fertilizer?

When you re-pot (tomorrow?) put them in proper 6" nursery pots with the nice large holes at the base, and in a good quality soil - also, that shultz stuff (which is a mediocre bloom fert AT BEST, and if you can't get anyting better, go to walmart and get some fish emulsion as an N supp for veggin) is okay in an emergency, but it;s not the greatest for pot plants. Look into something better like pureblend or canna, that is easy on a newer grower.

I

its just sky fi

I still haven't repotted, growth is again noticable :) the yellowing leaves started to get green where the stem is connected and it started moving out... i trimmed the dying leaves, and cut the spotted leaves off where they were turning green again. I taped the pots off to prevent light getting to them, and I'll keep it cool on the nutes and the watering.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to be nicer to my girls Some parts of my stems are reddish, which i understand is a sign of heat stress... but my temps fluctuate MAYBE 15 degrees max... from 86-88 high, 73/71 low (usually not below 75 or 76), some parts of certain stems are even turning a purplish hue... I know some sativas get a streak of red stem in them naturally, but j/w if my temps might be doing it

Monad

You wanna get ur plants as close as possible to CFLs.... those 3 lights up top won't be doing much for your plants. Cram all your bulbs together and put a fan directly on them, with CFL's you can do a touch test (if the fan is on them) to find the hot areas that need another fan.
If your plants are more than 6" away from the bulb they won't be getting enough light.
When I use CFL's I always have to have a fan blowing directly on them to keep the temps low enough to have the plants 2-4" away without overheating.

If you have a fan right on the bulb you'd be surprised how close you can put ur pants, and man do they grow quickly when there that close.

If your gunna keep up on the CFL grows you can buy CFL's that are designed for plant growth - veg ones and flower ones.
PM if you want a link to them - I get em off eBay.(I don't know how the admin would like it if I posted the link here.)