What's new

Pheno selection

G

Ive noticed that in some strains you have a few phenotypes with differing characteristics. You have a finniky one, and huge one, the one that yeilds the most all that jive.

A delema that has always been difficult to pass was which to pick. I know it's all about the end result, but if the end result is pretty consistant with little difference, what's your next point of reference?

For example, one plant may be very particular about her diet and always complain no matter what you do, but damn it if she dont give you no less than an O everytime when you DO give her what she wants. Then you have her sister that is very content with a consistant feed, and is very low maintanence but you have to work to get her to give up the O. Your first reaction is go with the most end product, but then if she isnt consistant due to her snooby eating habbits you may loose at the end.

Just some thoughts I wanted to get at you all

G

I get a pheno I like. Plant several pick the most suitable and clone for years. I have had one mom for 5 or more years and her daughters are perfect. Every one needs to spend one hour a day in the grow room.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
ask yourself what type of mate you want, the trophy (smokin', high strung, drama, trouble) or the rock (hot enough, easy-going, friend and confidante, you can count on).

the advantage you have is a) there is no law against marijuana polyandry, and b) no matter how much drama the bitchy hot one may produce, she'll never open her mouth.

THC•20

I guess what I look for in the characteristics of my smoke is first potency and then taste/smell and after that is the visual appeal. I really don't care for yield, unless it's genetically incapable of producing even 1oz/plant in any condition it's fine with me. # of plants never bothered me because honestly if you think of it, it doesn't matter how much you have, it's still illegal and if you're busted, you're busted. :joint:

G

There is lots of plants with both yield and potency, I have to have at least a sativa cross
which does possibly cost me some overall quantity(indoor) But just growing for myself this in not an extreme problem.
I want smell, loving the citrus pheno's I would rather have no pot than bad pot.

G

I would also like to know peoples opinions on this ... But from a different perspective.
I want to breed some plants and was wondering of a good way to select the best pheno's of each strain I'm using ... I'm wanting to cross the finest pheno's I can aquire of the following strains:

-Skunk
-Haze
-Northern Lights
-White Widow
-Jock Horror (I know its already a skunk, haze, NL cross but still lol)
-Other Strains (not known yet lol)
*Some of the above strains may be changed.

I want to cross these, and cross them again and again over the next few years in order to achieve a buzz i haven't been able to find for a LOOOONG time ... Cerebral, fully happy, energetic, (contradictory but) relaxing, trippy (with those slight visual effects) and very very little or no drowsiness or laziness sort of a high.

How would someone go bout selecting the phenos wanted to do this? And yes i know its a VERY LONG process. And no i haven't researched it as indepth as I want to just yet but some helpful hints to get started would be fantastic ...

CHEERS ALL!

G

octodiem: I thought that the mother plant with kids for flowers was pretty standard exept for the ppl doing all 12s.

flubnutz: Good analogy. I thought that exact thing.

For myself, personaly, I look at the high first. It doesnt have to be the most potent, or the best tasting. I want a smooth high, that still lets me get things done. Then what is equally improtant is the after burn. I do not like herb that makes me tired. So it's even harder to find a good girl. Flavor is third, beggers cant be choosy.

Dr Green: I say find the highs you want first, then work backwards from there.
So high, afterburn, flavor yeild. Or- High, after burn, yeild, flavor.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
the high first; then the yield; then the taste. depends on why you're growing, consumption vs output, market.

M

Microwido

Dr. Greenfinger said:
Cerebral, fully happy, energetic, (contradictory but) relaxing, trippy (with those slight visual effects) and very very little or no drowsiness or laziness sort of a high...

CHEERS ALL!

Have you tried Flo? Sativa's give the best positive high IMO, and this one I grew a few years back outdoors. You sacrifice alot of yield(2 oz for 6 ft tall plant), but the high gives you "Cerebral, fully happy, energetic, (contradictory but) relaxing, trippy (with those slight visual effects) and very very little or no drowsiness or laziness sort of a high

G

Cheers fellas ... thanks for the suggestions.

My rating thing definitely goes: High, After-burn, Yield, Taste etc. etc.
The taste is really unimportant to me, unless its one of those strains that just leaves a foul, lingering after taste in ur mouth, those are a no go for me lol

dasme - I'm with u mate, hate getting tired after having a smoke. That's one of the things I'm going to be working on with this experimental breeding lol ... My mates are VERY happy to do the testing with me and it should keep them (and some guests lol) busy for a looong time hahaha

Latest posts

Latest posts