What's new

My MuMs are confusing me???

Caligrown

OK, So I put my mums under cfls and feed them 1.2-1.4 ec. They do great!!

I root pruned them and then added new coco and 2 weeks later the roots are BUSTING out!!

I move them under a PL lighting, 1000w with solarmax and they begin to show a Cal/Mag problem within a week. This is the same blend of nutes so why would this happen? I am feeding more often now and I am hoping to bring them back into health.

Any thoughts?

I am feeding:

Canna CoCo
RO water
1tsp/gal Cal Mag
1 drop per gallon Superthrive

approx 1/2 to 1 litre per day.

G

Can't really say for sure, but here are my thoughts..

They might be wanting more food under that light. (I can't see so I don't know)
They might need less..
Your pH meter might need a calibration.
Have you flushed them recently? Do you flush them on a weekly basis? Do you allow for plenty of runoff?
What size container are you using?

Guessing games are fun =]

Last edited:
G

I had the exact same problem. My plants were so healthy it was'nt even funny, taking their nutes great and HUGE root growth in a small time frame. I moved them out from under my veg'ing flouro's and into my cab with a 600W hortilux and in a day and a half they looked like this:

I took them out and put them back under the flouros and flushed them. MISTAKE! They got worse. I was suspicious that I had underfed them/that Ph was off, so I put new batts into my meter and calibrated and then increased my food strength by about 50%. After a week of recovery they have been getting alot bigger faster and I have had almost 0 relapse of this problem. They went back under the HPS last night and so far are doing awesome. 2 of them are displaying very slight symptoms still, they also seem to be slightly hungrier than the rest so I am experimenting with feeding them slightly more than the rest. I think that with coco's accelerated plant and root growth, we also have to realize that feed strength needs to be increased exponentially as well. I think my problem was that when i put them under the HPS, they tried to grow very rapidly in their new environment and literally ran out of gas and stalled. Throughout all my issues, the plant suffered above the surface, but root growth continued to explode despite health issues. I am currently feeding about 9 ML per gallon each of A and B, along with rhizo and canna zym. I will be bumping food up to 10ml and then 11 by the end of the week and will flip to flower in about 7-9 days. Good luck, try not to flush them too much if you can, they might just be hungrier. Have a good one buddy :wave:

Caligrown

Sorry for the lack of info...I was being lazy..

I just ran over my camera usb connector with my office chair..Grrrr.

I need to bust out some pliers to bend this thing back....

OK...Back in Bid-niz.

Healthy Roots....

Cal/mag probs???

Thanks Nuck. I did give them just Rhizo for one watering and that accellerated the def. I think I am going to try bumping up the nutes.What EC does your feeding put you at?

Thx for the input I/S. I was wondering if that might be the deal. That is why I posted my ec. What do you think looking at the photos...?

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
mother plants giving you shit hey? too much calmag is also not a good idea. remember that coco gives off a lot of cal with time. how about trace elements? pure ro water tends to be a bit too clean for the canna coco A+B. it works best with some tap water included in the mix.

G

Something jumped out at me....it's probably nothing but....

You veg'd under cfl's, and then went to a 1000 watt hps....any chance there's a big temp difference and they're maybe drying out more than usual? Only reason I ask is mine sure are a lot thirstier when they go from cfl to hps, and especially when full on flower starts, and I've noticed probs like you picture when they get a little too dry. Just a thot.

G

I am not too sure what my EC is at right now, I don't meter it. I started at 1/4 ml per litre each of A and B when they were seedlings and have gradually increased it to the 2.25 ml per litre each of A and B that they are getting now. I will pick up the parts I need to fix my hanna PH/EC combo meter sometime in the next few months, for now I am just meter'ing my PH as I am broke and saving my $$$ for university in may. Going on what you have said, your problem sounds exactly like what happened to me. I would bump up the food before I did anymore flushing or calmag supplementation.

As oldpeculiar said, my plants got VERY thirsty under my HPS, right away. They are doing great now though, they looooove the big light. I absolutely have to water them everyday right now though, the growth in the last 2 days is startling, not so much up as it is wide. I have big hands and my fan leaves are almost the same size already, if not bigger on a few of them. I am going to bump my nutes up a little more before the weekend as I hope to flip them over before Monday. To combat the drying effect of the HPS at first, I pulled them out and misted them heavily with plain distilled water and gave them 5-10 mins to dry before putting them back in, a couple times during the lights on period (on 18/6). This seems to help out alot, they no longer look dry or crinkly and are a nice lush deep green. Good luck with it, I think you should be ok :joint:

Ono Nadagin

Cali I am of the same thinking as OldPeculiar...

Here is what I think is happening... Your plants obviously have a great root system and are large healthy plants.... I am betting when you moved to the HID light your plants tried to accelerate growth due to the increased energy energy from the light and in doing so they started drinking more... this can and will cause the plants to make 'hotspots' in the coco ... that are not really getting to soak up/exchange enough of the moisture from waterings...

I had a few moms that in the matter of 4 hours went from looking healthy in the mmorning when I looked at them they looked perfect and thought 'I will feed them after I feed me' to when I returned to feed them they had drooped and had started showing lco out spotting on leaves... I flushed with plain RO water, 1tsp/5ml calmag+ per gallon and PH'd it to 5.5 and poured it through totally soaking the pots... I ran 2 gallons through per pot they perked bac up in about 6 hours and I fed them their normal nuted regime again the next day ..

So now I am doing a 1 gallon 5.5PH soak once a week now to the moms and clone mothers ... any large vegging plant just to make sure it doesnt happen again... I could probably move it out to every 2 weeks

Caligrown

Thanks Guys!! CoCo CREW 2 tha rescue!!!

GM -

Yeah, I got female problems. You know you try to do right by them and give them some nice new digs and they obviously don't apprecieate it.

Old Peculiar -

The temps are the same(78-82) the humidity is a bit lower right now as I am waiting for my daddy humidifier to show up. The humidity is not too bad though. It is going from 60%-70% and moving with the cycle of the A/C unit.

I am on the same page with the misting. I was hitting my cuttings with Rhizo so I gave big mommas a squirt too.

I/S -

PH could be my main problem. I have been giving them 5.7-6.0 ph water but I checked the water sitting in the drain tray after I watered and it was 6.5. I fed today with double the water(1 litre) and 1.4 ec plus .2 ec cal mag for a grand total of..............1.6!!(I'm really good at math)

ONO-

I think I just didi what you recommended so we will see in the next few days...

Peace all- Thanks for the help -Cali

Last edited: