What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CocoSoG Questions.

dusto2k3

Im getting ready to do a 32plant SoG in 2 Gal "prefect pots", 1K HPS. I plan on dripping them. I have three questions. Any help Is great.

I want to do drippers but I've never worked with them. So anyone with experience, please chime in here. Is it better to get some 1 gph drippers and use a timer to control the amount of feed, (15min=.25 gal), or maybe even some .5gph and do the same thing. Or, would it be better just to get some adjustable flow drippers and just change them as the grow goes. I'm thinking the first idea, but who knows.

Also, I plan on doing a rez, so with 32 drippers, what is the size pump i wopuld need. I'm nopt familiar with the amount of pressure they create and how much is lost by adding more drippers. =Would it be better to get 1 large pump to water the whole thing or just maybe 3 small ones? The pic is my idea of the system.

Also, What is the best nutes. I know of Canna nutes, I see they have Coco formula and a new CoGr formula thats newer. Anyone know the difference? What are you using?

Also, If I use a coco specific nute I do not need Calmag? I am currently using RO water so I supplement that with calmag+. Would I be correct in thinking i would still need that even if I was using a coco specific nute?

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the coco likes to be drip fed, any drip setup will do, just get a digital timer and use that to run the drippers 3 or 4 times a day.

the pump size will depend on your dripper setup. some drippers have valves which means they require quite a bit of pressure. so get the pump and drippers that go together.

normally speaking you would use 1 pump and res for 32 plants. coco works well both run to waste as well as recirculating.

the best nutes for a coco grow are the coco specific ones, i use canna coco A+B without calmag. but if you use ro water with canna you should use cal mag as well as add some trace elements. as the canna coco is made for use with tap water which has calcium and trace elements in it already. pure ro can also have too low a ph level. i always advise people to use 50/50 ro/tap water with the A+B.

cogr is nearly the same as coco, just pressed and dried for easy handling. it also has it's own nutes for both veg and flower. in canna's normal coco you use the same A+B in equal parts all the way from veg through to harvest. the cogr slab is also known to contain some 30% more medium then coco slab, but for some reason the cogr is sterile to start with, it has no trichoderma in it, like the coco slabs do. not that you can't add it.

dusto2k3

Thanks for the response GM, i'm still doing reading here as well.

I've grown before, but in Promix and soil so I have a Ph meter so the ph is not an issue for me.

In your experience, does the ph of you rez fluctuate using tha canna nutes?. I plan on doing feed to waste. I guess the size will change as the plants eat more.

Does the airstone increase the life (usability) of the rez, Is one needed? How long can a rez sit for before it needs to be changed?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it's easier not to use an air stone, as it will cause your ph to raise and raise. also you absolutly don't need it. ph in the tank will remain quite stable, although you will get a gentle ph increase every few days as the ph minus evaporates from the nutrient mix. but on the whole it should stay stable. you don't change the res, you let the pump use up the water, when it's nearly empty you refil, add nutes correct the ph and away you go. although it's a good chance to do a quick fglush too before you add nutes to the fresh res.