What's new

So Gaius feel like teaching me about drippers?

Ono Nadagin

I think I have made up my mind to switch from E&F to feedto drain/capture in my closet grow

For the last week or so I have been looking at diff ways of drip feeding and all I have done is confuse myself with the many options available

If you dont remember my closet post here is the space I am dealing with

2'x3' closet with a 430w ballast/bulb
2'x3' rez tray w/ a duplicate 2'x3' E&F tray(the trays hold 4sqft)
and put 14~6"x6" pots into the flod tray

I am thinking I want to go with a bed of coco ontop a thin layer of Hydrotron on the bottom to promote drainage

Also I have been thinking of ditching E&F to go to drip feeding from the top allowing it to drain off and then instead of recirculating I want to catch it and use it on house plants/bedding plants or if it seems to stay close to the original feeding possibly reuse it

So my question to you is, what type of drip irrigation would you use to water a 2'x'3(x8"h) bed of coco... One reason I want to make the switch is so I wont have to :dueling: Ph fluctuations the other is to fit at least 1 more plant into my SoG

Here are some pics of my set up as I planned on using it again

So please HELP MEH! figure out how to drip feed em
To this point I have been considering a ring feeder around the base of each plant site but I have not seen those on the web yet

tyis :)

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

u can make the ring feeders with a T junction - a piece of tube and a nail to make holes. also u can put several drip outlets on the tubes if u want to make it extra nice.

ive set up many of those in gardens.

:D

peace :D

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
dude i can't keep repeating everything about my dripper system. if i try, i'll end up trying to skip over the info too fast.

check the sticky about drippers, and if you have a specific question or questions i'll be happy to go into it with you.

by the way, did you ever read this thread, LOL. :D

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=48291

peace :wave:
gm :rasta:

thc43

Veteran
i guess i could help i have a basic drip set up consisting of

1x 3000lph pump + add on aquarium filter
2x 19inch elbows and a T
1x inline filter
for 10 pots 20 or 30 drips i use the non regulated spikes
2x lengths of spaggetti hose per pot.
1x good digi timer with recharge batts with 30sec or 1min incriments

Run 19 mm hose from pump into grow room place a T connector at grow room end, now loupe about 60cm length of hose from one side of the T conn to the other making a pressure ring. the inline filter goes where ever you want along the 19mm hose but is better in the res in case it leaks dont want to be burning out you electrics.

from the ring you run all your feeders with a spike to the pots for safely against blockage use more than one drip per pot 2/3/4 is about all you need.. 3000lph is a medium size pump suited to 16 to 30 drips if using less you may want to add a tap to the 19mm hose to bleed some pressure back to res doubbling as a mixer but rarely needed only if hoses pop or a feeder hose pops out, a seperate mixing pump on a timer is abetter choice.

now adjust the digi timer to your set ups needs recycle could run drips 24/7 because your only running about 1litre per hour per drip, coco 3 to 6 feeds daily depending on pot size...

good luck i set up my drips last week still fine tuning the feeds but already there is a huge improvement over my slack handwatering. Need pics??? i can help later when i visit my grow..

Peace THC

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
sorry Ono Nadagin, was tiered, must have missed this bit.

OnoNadagin said:
So my question to you is, what type of drip irrigation would you use to water a 2'x'3(x8"h) bed of coco... One reason I want to make the switch is so I wont have to Ph fluctuations the other is to fit at least 1 more plant into my SoG

i deffinetly think a drip set up is the way to go in coco. but it doesn't matter what kind of drip setup. as long as it's not too slow, lol. it doesn't even have to be a classic drip set up. with a small space like you have you could use the same pump you have and make the main line go past each plant, make a t junction for each plant. this way you will not have any worries about drippers getting blocked.

basically the thing to watch out for is that you get the right kind of drippers for the pump you have. some drippers require strong pumps. you will also need to make sure that you have some way of filtering the water before it gets to the drippers if you use the classic thin type drippers.

you can reuse the return, just have your tank under the drain catching the return. if you want to run to waste two tanks will be needed.

ph tends to drift up a little what ever you do, specially in the first few weeks. but it certainly isn't a problem, one just has to adjust it once in a while, i call it tank maintenance. some times you have to add some nutes, some times just some ph minus, at other times you add water.

what i meant, with that link, was that it would be cool to keep dripper questions in the dripper thread, for ease of reference. but what the hell, why make things too easy hey? ROFL.

peace :wave: :rasta: