What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alot of stretch while using greenhouse

thejact55

I just got a greenhouse, which im super excited about. It get morning to late afternoon sun. Say an hour or two after sunrise to 4- 6 pm depending on time of year. I had it placed in the exact spot i had grown plants in dirt years previous.
I have many strains and different aged plants in there, as well as veggie plants. All of them are stretching a fair amount.
I have some BB clones that i put out there when they were well established. Nodes were like an inch apart and now its like 4-5" between nodes. Too much IMO.
Anyone have this issue? I can add pictures of the plants of needs be.
Here is a pic of the greenhouse. I included a pic of the shelves i built, all plants are on this, right on the outside portion of the greenhouse. The veggies are on this side, the weed plants are on the other side that isnt against the fence area. Sure there are some spots that might block the sun at certain times, but overall they should be getting good sun until late afternoon. Plants are placed right beside clear panels, not in middle of the structure.

Attachments

• 20180427_191325.jpg
    20180427_191325.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180505_144650.jpg
    20180505_144650.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 42

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
heat causes stretching, as does low light. how has your weather/direct sun been? if its been real warm, whats your ventilation in the greenhouse like?

(awesome greenhouse)

It does seem that the structure is reducing the total light available for your plants compared to without. Plus the extra heat retained at night contributes to stretch.

Ideally you want the sun striking the transparent sheets at a perpendicular angle for maximum light penetration. Can the plants be positioned so direct sunlight is shining on them through the roof rather than the walls during the middle part of the day?

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Open floors? I am going to guess you have a higher humidity and getting large day night temperature differences with little air movement inside the greenhouse then with a lower light you are getting the amount of stretch you do not like. I would try to get good airflow in there to make a bit stressful (in a good way) on the crops and make them work more.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greenhouse plants always stretch when compared to clones of the same grown strictly outdoors. This is mostly caused by the lack of stressors such as wind & weather which serves to strengthening the stems & branches keeping internodes shorter. Heat retention will really stretch plants as well.

An oscillating fan blowing on your ladies should calm the stretch a bit.

thejact55

Thank you all, i think the advice given is on point and sound.

It has has open floors, with plenty of allowance of ventilation to come up from underneath. At this point there is not much else. I have a back window completely open, but no fans or circulation. Have been meaning to, but between...eh fuck it, everyones has an excuse lol.
Weather has been all over, currently 80 and sunny trend, but alot of rain and 60s also. Greenhouse definetely adds 10 degrees to outside and holds it well.
My dilema, but ill do it regardless and figure it out. running electricity to the structure. Its in the back of my yard, and i have two dogs that are out there alot. So do i chance running an extension cord and having it chewed. I can run most up along the fence, but will have to get creative in protecting what portion cannot. I dont feel motivated to dig a trench and run underground approved romex(?). I aint burying a simple extension cord.

Has anyone had experience with battery or solar powered fans? Cant say ive looked for these or researched this, just a random thought i just had.

So- ill get two 20" or so oscilating wall mount fans, been eyeing some for a while now. I will also get a vent/fan combo for the window to circulate better. Hope this will help with heat and stem build. I think i can reposition the plants to get more "roof sun" exposure, but probably not a ton more.

Thanks again all.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
The girls will explode in your greenhouse, if nothing is done.
I will suggest that you bind the girls and maybe supercrop some of them.

I hope water is not a problem. Heat makes them very thirsty.

Best growluck :)

P :smoke:

thejact55

Ok i got in 2 16" wall mount fans and a 465 cfm blower to help circulate.
Ita been cool and rainy for the last week, so when it warms up, we'll see how it does. Todat is warming up well.
Water isnt an issue, they get it when they need it. Anywhere from 2 to 4 days on average, but alot of that has to do with older plants with more roots sucking up water. I topped the blueberrys, they were getting to lanky. Im sure that ill have to tie em up soon enough.

Thanks for all the help. Here are the pics. I put the blower as high as i could in the window, didnt want to cut a new hole.

Attachments

• 20180519_112940.jpg
    20180519_112940.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20180519_112934.jpg
    20180519_112934.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 40