What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hermie. what to do?

mrma

hi guys,

I have two 3x3 grow tent.
one about to finish with some lemonOG looking killer. no herm.

in the other 3x3, 3 weeks into flower, same strain from clone, and I noticed balls today,
I have try to pluck them all out. about 3 male flowers per plants on 4 plants (out of 9)

I am almost sure it is due to light leak.
I tried to seal everything good, especially where I am thinking light is penetrating and entering in the small room where the tent is set. as the tent was cheap one, definitely not light proof.

anyway, what would you do? chop down and start fresh?
or hoping there is no more light leaks and they won't be seeded (male flowers wasn't opened).

thanks!

igrowone

Veteran
hermie genetics are interesting
but 4 plants from a small light leak?
maybe, my guess is no, it's the genetics

mrma

hermie genetics are interesting
but 4 plants from a small light leak?
maybe, my guess is no, it's the genetics

I think it was lots of light entering and I let the vent open of the tent.

I have run this strain 4 times. really love it.
first grow in this space...

igrowone

Veteran
I think it was lots of light entering and I let the vent open of the tent.

I have run this strain 4 times. really love it.
first grow in this space...

did the plants that hermied seem to be the ones that were in the light leak area?
that could make sense, some plants don't like that extra light
a light meter placed inside would let you test for light leak intensity
i know it's a chore but the consequences do make it worth it

mrma

did the plants that hermied seem to be the ones that were in the light leak area?

yes totally. the lemonOGs are in this area.
I think the genetic is very sensitive too.
the SFvOg's in the same tent don't have any sign of balls.
good idea on the light meter, it worth it, but at the moment too expensive.:dunno:

mrma

all the girls at the back, close to the vent showed balls. such a novice mistake in dialing a new place.

same strain in flush process..

igrowone

Veteran
ok, seems there's an argument for a light leak problem
i don't know if fixing the leak will roll back the plant's affected to 'not hermies'
expensive lesson i guess, but growing does have its ups and downs

You could try to mitigate the pollen for now and hope to still harvest some bud. I've heard of people spraying Dutch master penetrate on hermies plants and that it supposedly kills the male flowers. Think there was something else too but can't remember what it is. Good luck

heatherlonglee

If growing in a cheap tent you'll need to cover the outside with something. I use blankets on all my tents. One for the front door no matter what especially if it has those stupid velcro windows; cool but guaranteed light leakers. Whatever direction the light in the room is coming from, tent will need to be covered on that side. Doesn't need to cover the bottom 1/3 of the tent but top should be covered. Black I believe is the best choice for blankets that cover. But your tent into a corner to protect a few sides from light. I have the expensive Gorilla Grow tent and I still use blankets to cover all sides; though my tent room is always lit up very bright.

Great advice Heather too many people don't realize how much of a difference it makes to have fully light proof tents or grow cabs. I built my own cabs after seeing people say even the expensive tents have light leaks. Got 2 6ft tall 4x2ft metal shelving units and wrapped them with 7mil panda film and a layer of contractor bags on the outside for more protection. Then i taped alternating flaps made from contractor bags over the door secured by Velcro tape on all 4 sides of the door. They fold over the door in 3 layers and in the end I have a 99% maybe even 100% light proof grow cab.

Fyi a easy way to check for light leaks is to stick a strong light inside at night, seal it up then turn off the other lights in the room and look for any light escaping. If there's none getting out there's none getting in.

mrma

If growing in a cheap tent you'll need to cover the outside with something. I use blankets on all my tents. One for the front door no matter what especially if it has those stupid velcro windows; cool but guaranteed light leakers. Whatever direction the light in the room is coming from, tent will need to be covered on that side. Doesn't need to cover the bottom 1/3 of the tent but top should be covered. Black I believe is the best choice for blankets that cover. But your tent into a corner to protect a few sides from light. I have the expensive Gorilla Grow tent and I still use blankets to cover all sides; though my tent room is always lit up very bright.

great advice, totally agree,
my other tent is covered with blankets as this one receive day light and never seen any hermies..
second run using tent ever (growing since a long time)...
I was hoping the darkness in the room of the second tent was enough, definitely not.

Latest posts

Latest posts