What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for Feedback on Grow Idea

manjawithdaganj

Hello Everyone,

I have an idea for my 3rd grow which is similar to a SOG. I am comfortable using the coco medium so I will stick with it. I hope to use 1 gallon smart pots hooked up to a drip feed timer. I have a 250w hps and a 60x60 text.

I want to use around 6 of these 1 gallon pots and have 6 different strains in them. I hope to grow them for a couple weeks veg then flower them and train to just 1 or two colas.

The reason i'm doing this is that I am too impatient to wait 4 months to try one strain. There are so many out there, I want to try so many and explore their effects.

Question: Has anyone done this before? Do you have any tips for what I plan to do? I guess its similar to a SOG but I have never done that. I want to stick to one tent as I don't have much space. I'm currently running a SCROG with Pineapple Chunk at the moment. :thank you:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Keep an even canopy, and deal with nutrient requirements of the hungry/light feeders. Sounds good, when i had a cab i did the same.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Most plants are fine with similar nutrient requirements. Sativa's generally feed less than indicas. Just watch the leaves for signs of spotting or yellowing. Keep that pH in check as well.

Definitely run a few different strains, variety is a beautiful thing to have on hand!

Are you planning to start from seed or clone?

manjawithdaganj

I'm going for seed as I'll have about 26 free seeds from the 4/20 sale from Seedsman, plus others that I have lying around from other purchases.

I was thinking of going straight into 12/12, but I read that the plants will veg as normal for around 2 weeks anyway.

Easy7

Veteran
SOG hydro is best mono-cropped. That means cuttings from one mother plant. This evens the canopy and gives consistent results.

You can run multiple seeds but there are a lot of issues. Different growing structures/canopy, different nutrient requirements, and different harvest windows.

You can harvest 5 times a year vegging for cuttings in another area/tent or whatever set up. Putting the same clones into flower and they can be rooted and ready to 12/12 right away. Then it's just on 12/12 all the time, drying in another area.

That's five different strains you can run a year. What's the point of having an ounce of great bud, when you could have a half pound five times a year. I understand finding that mother for clones is a search. Do research and limit the guessing in the search.

djimb

Veteran
could you elaborate a bit on that for me please?

Strains from equatorial regions will basically flower when they're good and ready. At the equator, day length is just about 12 hours year round.

As an example, I once tried to grow a plant from bagseed on a balcony in Quito, Ecuador, just a few miles south of the equator. I had it for something like 4 months and it never even showed sex. Ultimately it got so big it was seen, so I had to chop it.

Some folks have a good deal of success flowering equatorial strains at 11/13 or 10/14. I've seen one person around here significantly shorten flowering time by running something like 9/15.

That being said, as long as you're running hybrids, you should be fine. It's pure landraces from Colombia, Thailand, India, etc that might cause you trouble.

Last edited: