What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Generic Terpenators Operating Manual

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I modified the original post 4 of this thread, to include that information. Look at the last part of that post.

Chonkski

I modified the original post to incorporate the answer, except the volume needed for a Mk III. I like to run with 10# in a 50# tank for best performance. Maybe less with a 30# tank, but probably not much.

It will run as low as 6 or 8 lbs, just slower. Same with a smaller tank with less surface area to condense the vapors.

Out of curiosity, what about the 100# tank?

I have been trying to stay around 22lbs.

How much and how often are you guys typically refilling?

I've been filling about 4-6lbs every week or so, myself..

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Out of curiosity, what about the 100# tank?

I have been trying to stay around 22lbs.

How much and how often are you guys typically refilling?

I've been filling about 4-6lbs every week or so, myself..

I've only run the 100# tanks on Mk IV and V's. We run around 40#.

Carla has no doubt run a Mk III on a 100# tank, so you might check with her.

Chonkski

I've only run the 100# tanks on Mk IV and V's. We run around 40#.

Carla has no doubt run a Mk III on a 100# tank, so you might check with her.

Thanks, I use both.

I will starting filling up to about 35-40lbs and refill at 20lbs.

Thanks for the insight!

Z

z-ro

While I greatly appreciate the effort and knowledge, all of this is very hard to comprehend when it's just a giant pile of text. Without pictures or more complete explanations(a video would be awesome and make you money on YouTube) it's next to impossible for a newb to figure out what is going on here. It really is more complex than just putting material in the machine and running it, which is kinda how I felt when I just bought an mk4 from terpp and got absolutely no explaination of how this thing is to be operated safely.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
While I greatly appreciate the effort and knowledge, all of this is very hard to comprehend when it's just a giant pile of text. Without pictures or more complete explanations(a video would be awesome and make you money on YouTube) it's next to impossible for a newb to figure out what is going on here. It really is more complex than just putting material in the machine and running it, which is kinda how I felt when I just bought an mk4 from terpp and got absolutely no explaination of how this thing is to be operated safely.

I clicked on the banner at the top of the ICMAG Forums Cannabis Concentrates page and found these two little ditties...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0398/0021/files/MK_3_Assembly_Guide.pdf?708

http://terppextractors.com/pages/mk-iii-terpenator-operating-instructions-scale-method

This thread is just an overview with the latest updates and explanations to try and limit the amount of rehashing of the same questions over and over.

I agree there should be better YouTube videos, check out Best Value Vacs' passive CLS videos, they're almost hitting the mark imo.

Pangea

Veteran
I'm not seeing when one is suppose to close the refrigerant recovery tank valves(liquid and vapor) in the process?

flatslabs

I close the liquid valve directly after closing the liquid ball valve the last time I am using it for that run. Once final recovery comes down to -22 I open the liquid ball valve for a second to purge the line of any solvent left in there.

I let my recovery pump run for about 10 seconds after closing the recovery ball valve on the terp, close the vapor valve on the tank, then immediately shut off the pump.

Pangea

Veteran
Thanks, thats basically what I did, I opened the liquid ball valve after I closed the tank liquid valve to let it purge as it went down, but could see it being better wait till neg pressures.

I also left the recovery pump running for a minute after shutting the recovery ball valve hoping to purge my cooling coil, but it didnt work well. I then closed the tank vapor valve and then shut the pump down. Is gravity pretty much the best/only way to purge a cold after cooling coil to ensure its empty?

When you switch to the vac pump for the -22 to -30 its suppose to exhaust/smell of butane/oil slightly, obviously, right? Does this pose a risk with the vac pump not being explosion proof?

When swapping columns, one takes the whole system down to -10, then isolates the column, then you recovery pump down the column on its own to -22, then do you switch to the vacuum pump to take the column down to -30, just like a regular finishing procedure?

To recover the column separate from the recovery spool do you stop recovering from the spool and leave it at -10 and valve the r.pump to only be recovering the column? When the column is at -22 would you then switch back to recovering from the recovery spool? If so, swapping a column quickly so as to not take the system down not much past -10 would be good? Or do you or can you shut the r.pump down if the system is -10 and the column is being swapped and there is no butane sitting anywhere to build pressure.

On the MKIV design I dont understand where or how one would place compound gauge to determine the columns pressure when it is isolated for swapping, any tips?

Thanks!!!:tiphat:

Dab Strudel

I wait til the entire system hits -10 (with dump valve and over flow valve open), close both of those valves as to isolate the column from any action, then quickly take off the clamps so the column is still under vacuum and wait til the cap easily pulls off. You have to make sure you take off the clamps quickly or else a big ole pop and trimfeti goes everywhere, in my case my eyes... both times. Not fun. If you do things the wrong way make sure your doing right.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, thats basically what I did, I opened the liquid ball valve after I closed the tank liquid valve to let it purge as it went down, but could see it being better wait till neg pressures.

I also left the recovery pump running for a minute after shutting the recovery ball valve hoping to purge my cooling coil, but it didnt work well. I then closed the tank vapor valve and then shut the pump down. Is gravity pretty much the best/only way to purge a cold after cooling coil to ensure its empty?

When you switch to the vac pump for the -22 to -30 its suppose to exhaust/smell of butane/oil slightly, obviously, right? Does this pose a risk with the vac pump not being explosion proof?

When swapping columns, one takes the whole system down to -10, then isolates the column, then you recovery pump down the column on its own to -22, then do you switch to the vacuum pump to take the column down to -30, just like a regular finishing procedure?

To recover the column separate from the recovery spool do you stop recovering from the spool and leave it at -10 and valve the r.pump to only be recovering the column? When the column is at -22 would you then switch back to recovering from the recovery spool? If so, swapping a column quickly so as to not take the system down not much past -10 would be good? Or do you or can you shut the r.pump down if the system is -10 and the column is being swapped and there is no butane sitting anywhere to build pressure.

On the MKIV design I dont understand where or how one would place compound gauge to determine the columns pressure when it is isolated for swapping, any tips?

After the last injection, I close the tank liquid valve and leave the ball valves open to scavenge the line.

The high vacuum pump will be venting straight butane from -22" Hg to -29.92" Hg and it does smell. The high vacuum pump is also not explosion proof.

We do two things on commercial units. The first is to inject nitrogen when we reach -22, and then pull down to -29.9" Hg with a nitrogen/butane mix.

The second is to replace the CPS VP6S breather cap with a 3/4" MNPT X 3/4" garden hose fitting, using the existing o-ring, and attached a garden hose to it, so as to vent it outside.

I tried to find a good picture of the second gauge installation, but alas I don't seem to have one. It goes into the cross over manifold for column evacuation, where the two column lines tie to the pump. I'll shoot a photo of one of them in assembly, when one reaches that stage, ostensibly in the next couple of weeks.

One thing to note, is that despite being calibrated, the two gauges will never read the same, because of the system losses being greater on one, than the other.

Attachments

• Hose on vacuum pump.jpg
    Hose on vacuum pump.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Nitrogen injection-1-1.jpg
    Nitrogen injection-1-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I will type something up and post a column swap procedure.

Watch this space:

Chonkski

After the last injection, I close the tank liquid valve and leave the ball valves open to scavenge the line.

The high vacuum pump will be venting straight butane from -22" Hg to -29.92" Hg and it does smell. The high vacuum pump is also not explosion proof.

We do two things on commercial units. The first is to inject nitrogen when we reach -22, and then pull down to -29.9" Hg with a nitrogen/butane mix.

The second is to replace the CPS VP6S breather cap with a 3/4" MNPT X 3/4" garden hose fitting, using the existing o-ring, and attached a garden hose to it, so as to vent it outside.

I tried to find a good picture of the second gauge installation, but alas I don't seem to have one. It goes into the cross over manifold for column evacuation, where the two column lines tie to the pump. I'll shoot a photo of one of them in assembly, when one reaches that stage, ostensibly in the next couple of weeks.

One thing to note, is that despite being calibrated, the two gauges will never read the same, because of the system losses being greater on one, than the other.

Beautiful.

Permacultuure

Veteran

Heres what we do....

Recover to about -10, open flood line valve with liquid valve on tank closed, as GW said, this evacuates all gas from your liquid line so as not to introduce warm solvent the next run.

Close off dump valve and overflow valve, isolating the top from the bottom

We immediately equalize the pressure by opening a vacuum port on a cross at the injection port. This is also where our column gauges were placed, when we did use them.

Connect vacuum line and pull a hard vac on the column and liquid line, waiting for gauge to read -30, or now we just let it run and bog out...... I've become pretty familiar with the sounds a pump makes at full vac.

Now we open the liquid valve on the tank and the overflow valve on the lid, in that order.....and the flood has begun

We repeat this 3-4 columns before harvesting. Any more than that and your recovery times begin to crawl.

Putting a cross on your flood port with a gauge on one side and vacuum port on the other works fine.....

pharmco

Best way to measure torque on a NPT fitting when tightening it? I know of using a torque wrench on bolts, but how would one do that with a fitting?