What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need a good 1000W bulb

Y

yamaha_1fan

I need some new bulbs for my setup. 9000watt SOG.

I did a search and I couldnt find much discussion on bulbs. I must have looked wrong.

I dont need gold plated bulbs but I am not trying to skimp. I want the best producing bulb I can get. I did see something that indicated the Hortiluxes were good.

Current bulbs are from HGT and local. Agromax, Growbright, and some plain old non grow Phillips

I am using 1000W HPS magnetic ballast kits, no digis.

Need to order soon, my bulbs are old and need to be replaced

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
yamaha_1fan said:
I need some new bulbs for my setup. 9000watt SOG.

I did a search and I couldnt find much discussion on bulbs. I must have looked wrong.

I dont need gold plated bulbs but I am not trying to skimp. I want the best producing bulb I can get. I did see something that indicated the Hortiluxes were good.

Current bulbs are from HGT and local. Agromax, Growbright, and some plain old non grow Phillips

I am using 1000W HPS magnetic ballast kits, no digis.

Need to order soon, my bulbs are old and need to be replaced

When I was looking at getting a horticultural bulbs, I ended up going with the Agro from HTG. I just didn't see enough of a difference to pay the extra bucks for the Hortilux.

If it was me, I'd stick with what I know works in a setup like you're running :joint:

B

badugi

Hortilux Super HPS @ $62 a pop. I heard some cats can get 'em for $40.

Disco Dan @ TCC swears that running vanilla MH bulbs in modern HPS-only (magnetic) ballasts is perfectly safe... so I'll try that with a $20 bulb today.

Last edited:
B

Blunted22

yam ill tell you what a man once told me... Theres things to skimp on and things not too... Ive found bulbs is not something to skimp on i know it sucks to pay 120 a bulb but i look at it like this if each bulb got you an extra 6 grams which isnt shit (and it probably not even measurable lol) the bulbs done repayed for them selfs on the first grow... i know it sucks i buy new bulbs every 3 grows... and i have to buy 12 just for flower.....

However ive only ran with eye hortilux cause i was always "TOLD" they are the best... but if you trying to save a dollar go with the agro's or mix and match to see if you see a different... in any words i hope it goes good as i always a follower of your grows...

and for night tiger youve always been a big help and i follow you too lol so please dont look at anything i said as disrespetful lol good luck to you both...

Last edited:

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive read on a couple different forums ,that some people using hortilux bulbs newly installed on a digital ballast are having them burn out on them .I went with a cheap bulb this time on mine.Next time i think im gonna try the ushio growlux..but $100 for a bulb? I don't know....

SpoCannabis

With bulbs, you get what you pay for. I always use Hortilux and have NEVER had a problem with them burning out prematurely.

Y

yamaha_1fan

OK I picked up some hortilux bulbs today, Price wasnt too bad from the local store. Not as bad as I thought.

Now when you guys say hortilux are you talking about their $100 Super HPS or the new BLue spectrum HPS which lists at like $219? I picked up the cheaper ones (SUper HPS) to handle one table that has like 3 weeks till harvest. I want them girls to get full light before harvest.

I'll find out tonight or tomorrow about getting more at wholesale prices to swap the rest of the room.

Blunted I COMPLETELY AGREE. A 20,30, or 40 difference is so minor in the scale of things here, I need the best bulb I can get. If I get even a 1% increase, it pays for itself.

Has anyone used those Blue HPS bulbs?

Anyone need some slightly used bulbs? J/K J/K dont ban me :D

SpoCannabis

I was referring to the Super HPS. I don't think the blue is the right color spectrum for optimum cannabis flowering. I believe its profile is similar to that of a MH, but with high lumen output. And you are right, 20,40,80-whatever it is, it is minor in the grand scheme. ;-)

FarmerTed

It is my understanding (based on what i've read on this site) flowering under mh yields buds that are slightly smaller but denser giving more weight overall & slightly more trich coverage.
Wouldnt this make mh preferable then when growing commercial?
Are there any cannabis studies anyone knows of that can backup claims of hps over mh or this brand over that brand? or are we just paying for hype?
I've used the Eye Hortilux Blue MH w/ digi ballast for flower because i read it was the best and i was happy with it all around. However, the price went up about $20-30 so i'm now trying the Son Agro 430w hps, at 1/2 the price, we'll see if i can see a differance, other than the ugly yellow light coming from my grow room... lol
yamaha_1fan, you said you used grow and non-grow bulbs, notice any differance between the two yieldwise? Someone else here posted in a thread saying they noticed no differance in flower between the two.

Y

yamaha_1fan

FarmerTed, I started off with growbright bulbs from HTG. But I had a problem blowing bulbs all the time. After several replacements, they started sending me agromax bulbs. Keep in mind I run 9 lights. Some times I couldnt wait so I picked up bulbs locally. Eventually I learned the bulb failures was caused by ignitors that were too far away. I moved the ignitors to the hoods, and havent had a failure since.

So I have a whole mix of bulbs. One or two of the bulbs are straight Phillips commercial, non grow bulbs.

TO be honest, I dont know which hood they are in, but I cant say I noticed any significant differences except the issues I am having now with lack of stretch. And all those bulbs turned out to be hortilux bulbs that were less than 6 months old. I replaced 3 of them last night

Latest posts

Latest posts