What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coating to waterproof inside of flood & drain table?

_Dude

I'm using tarps right now, but I'd like to have something I could coat the tub with so I could seal around the fittings better.

I was just reading in another thread about Plasti-Dip (AKA Plasti-Kote). Anyone used this stuff? How much coverage could I get out of a gallon?

Other coatings welcome.

Beanfish

I think many use pond liners for their tables. You can get them @ HD and Lowes in the garden section. I've seen people use aquarium or food grade silicone around the fittings. Personally, I like Plumbers Goop. Although some say they wouldn't use it, I've used it for years with no problems at all.

_Dude

Yeah I know about pond liner but I'm looking for a coating. I thought about using some kind of sealant where the tarp meets the fitting, but I don't want to take that step just yet. Might get messy later on.

Beanfish

What about o rings or rubber fender washers for the fittings? Assuming they are a bulkhead type. Guaranteed to never get messy in the future.

stoner.hr

i was thinking about black PVC foil for garden pools it has a special glue that comes with it . what do u think of that ?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I made my first NFT table with plywood and waterproofed it by painting it with fibreglass resin, it works great and lasts for years.

If you want a sealant, iirc Araldite works safely, possibly Silicone but I cant remember for sure.

_Dude

Yeah the fittings are bulkhead type but they already have rubber washers on either side. I think the problem is the material (tarp, plastic) gets bunched up and this makes for tiny leaks.

Don't know what to think of PVC foil stoner but it sounds like it wouldn't do me any better than what I have now.

Chaos my tub is made of 2x6es and plywood. I thought about fiberglass but I couldn't find much reading on the net. How much would it cost and what/how much would I need?

_Dude

It just occurred to me that what I really need is something to supplement the tarp/liner where it meets the fitting. Like a sock with two open ends and a flat part at the top that lays flat that I could glue to the tarp. That would make a nice product for DIYers, to go with a fitting. Might be able to make it myself.

There are special paints you can use called "potable water paint". They aren't cheap and are usually available at a local paint shop, preferably one that deals in car paints, not house paint.

they contain poly plastics, so when the paint dries it basically turns into a plastic. Making it 100% water tight and safe for drinking water.

I've looked into it myself because I didn't want to use pond liner, its ugly, never fits right and can leak if not perfectly glued in.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
This may be of some interest to you.

http://www.amesresearch.com/wall_coatings.htm

"Ames' Block & Wall is an elastomeric waterproofing sealant for exterior, above-grade walls. Block & Wall dries to form a waterproof seal to keep water and moisture out. This product expands and contracts up to 700%, is highly resistant to cracking and peeling, and remains flexible at -35°F. Block & Wall is ideal for block walls, basement walls, stucco and many other surfaces. It is heavy duty, yet easily applied by brush, roller or sprayer. Block & Wall was developed for cold and wet weather, and it is formulated to resist fungus, mold and mildew. This product is potable water compliant. Block & Wall cleans up easily with water."

Checkout the cardboard boat video on the page linked above. This stuff is tough.

Last edited:

_Dude

I looked at potable paint too but it seemed kinda spensive.

Thanks for all the ideas fellas.

That block and wall sure looks interesting. thirty bucks for a gallon and they say it covers 100 sq. ft.

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
petemoss said:
There was a thread a couple of months ago about building your own E&F tray. Someone gave a link for constructing a fiberglass and epoxy aquarium. Seems that would work.

here's the link I was thinking of:
http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_diy/tankbuilding2006/index.html

That is pretty much what I got up to, except I did not use any fibreglass. From that it sounds like it would be a good idea, to make it as strong as possible.

I got my ideas from Molyneux's book "A Practical guide to NFT" .. the best book ever for building homemade Hydro systems of all types IMO .... and some good advice from the guy in the Fibreglass shop.

Y

yamaha_1fan

For sealing the tarp to the ebb and flo, I also suggest Plumbers Goop. It can be removed later, trust me.

The block and wall seems like a good idea but if you read closely, plywood needs to be pretreated. It also suggests 3-5 coats for a good waterproof coating, thats 5 gallons per 100sq feet.

I think tarp, pond liner etc are the best ways to go.

Someone said pond liner never lays right and leaks. I have 4 tables running pond liner and I have no issues. Just cut the liner, lay it in, and staple around the outside edges. I dont glue it in or anything.

Figure out the cost and time of applying those coatings. You'll need rollers, trays etc that will probably be no good afterwards. Plus all the time to roll, then do multiple coats.

_Dude

I might just try the plumber's goop.

But the idea of painting on a plastic coat has appeal. If there's a leak, I paint over it. I can remove the fittings at will and have them back in action in no time.

Maybe there's something cheaper to pretreat the wood with, something that block and wall will stick to well. That way, if their figures are right, 1 gallon would put 3 full coats on 2 4x4 tables and leave enough for touch up. At 15 bucks plus whatever to pretreat - killz?) a table that ain't bad.

Last edited:

kaljukajakas

You can try dissolving a bunch polystyrene (cups, insulation, whatever you can get cheaply or for free) in a solvent (gasoline will do) until you have nice thick paste. Then paint several coats of it on the walls.

That'll give you a true plastic coating. Good ventilation is a must. And don't smoke while you're at it.

Bozo

I line my homead tables with plas-tec water proof wall covering You will find it with the frp @ home depot you use frp adhessive to glue it to the bottom and sides antifungal quick dry bathroom caulk (the good shit) add some fill and drain fittings and in 1 hr i can build any size table 100% leak proof .Not the coating you wanted Btw best coating i found before i came up with this was fiber glass epoxy I never did use it cause wasnt sure how long I would have to let it cure/ gas off so i kept lookin and thinkin and the plastic wall coating seemed easyer cleaner less toxic
I live where you cant buy a tray and shipping is expensive I use Brute 44 gall trash can for rez built my own tables and manifolds Home depot is my hydro store .Wish they would carry Nutes lol

Latest posts

Latest posts