What's new

Best system for a hobbyist to grow 8 different strains?

What is the easiest/lowest maintenance growing method for the personal grower to grow 8 different strains? If their fert needs are all different I can imagine that things could get out of control fast.

full time daddy
Veteran
what scale ..... ? just 8 plants or 10 of each?
i would build a small ebb n flow or drip system for each strain something like this but a rez for each row

crzygirl

DWC with no res, in 5gal buckets. Basically just a bucket, with an airstone in it, a hole in the lid and a netpot with hydroponic medium in it. Fill the the bucket with solution just under the netpot. Baddabing Baddaboom

Y

yamaha_1fan

I have never used either but the hempy buckets or DWC buckets sounds like good ideas.

kaljukajakas

Run-to-waste ebb and flow? If you have the space for a really big reservoir then there would be practically no maintenance. Fill the reservoir with some proven generic nutrient mix like Lucas formula after the seedlings show roots and they should be good to go - you could be gone for weeks or more if you hang the light high enough.

SweetNightmare

Hand watered coco, hempy, or dwc buckets... I'd recommend one of the first two... no pumps to worry about failing and dumping water everywhere... just gotta water :) and you won't need a chiller or to change out frozen bottles every couple of hours :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. So should I not worry too much about the fert needs of each different strain? BTW, it's going to be 8 different strains/plants under a 400w.

NoFx

Coco flood bed.
Gh nutes with calmag+.
Feed on the lower side.
Foiler feed the hungry ones.

But that's just what I wanna see. :rasta:

NOFX

FarmerTed

I would recommend HempyBuckets w/ General Hydroponics 3 part Floro nutes.
I just started using this set-up following the directions on the bottles. If you find your plants need different nute strengths you can adjust the amounts of each that you use. I havent seen any special requirements among the few strains im growing so far, same nutes for all. Great growth, about an inch per day in 12/12 (i'm also using a 400w). There simple to set up no pipes, pumps, tubing etc... makes them cheaper starting out to. Downside, some say they need to be watered daily or every other but that hasnt been my experiance so far. I've let them go 3-4 days w/o any problems. You'll need to deal with the run off coming out the side of your container when you water. Hope this helps, good luck.