What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mychorrizae

G

Gr33nSanta

No, the reason IG is such a hit is that it gives loud stupid people a box to stand on, with hordes of much less intelligent folk to follow their wisdom.

While immensely popular, much of the stupidity and broscience driven from (some/parts of) the forums has found voice on IG. Look at any grower account with 10k+ followers and likely you will see pseudoscience and outright bullshit by the tonne.

How many of ya'll that believe in a flat earth is mindboggling, let alone the dozens of other affronts to modern civilization (all who are given a voice thanks to technological developements founded on the science they question to the core re: gravity, for example)..

And all this ignoring that mycorrhizal associations are dependent on a scarcity of phosphorous and water rarely seen in any but the most negligent of grows.

Adapt or die? When this free for all grow all is over, and personal growing is restricted as is tobacco and alcohol production, power concentrated in the hands of the few, all you clowns whose daily existence relies on social media will be the first up against the wall, so to speak. I hope you noodle armed catamites enjoy cockmeat sandwich, because that's all they serve where you're headed.

TLDR: IG is popular as it empowers weak minded fucks like you, but time will serve it's course.

off topic , who's your avatar?

truck

Myco is great for cloning i think. and early in veg when you aren't really using nutes. This is where that low P environment exists and keeps the roots strong and healthy on a minimal diet. Myco use is definitely better suited to the cheap grower who refuses to use a lot of nutrients and isn't looking for mega yields. But can still be useful to commercial people to minimize nutrient costs and makes growing easier in veg with organic soil that is already fully loaded.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Actually, myco can resolve a genetic issue. I have this wonderful cultivar that is 100% freak. The first few rounds with her, all the plants showed nutrition deficiency and with roots on the economic side of life. So I doubled the amount of mycos I normally use (Promix PUR) and her root production also doubled.

The cloning time also reduced. Number of days it takes to go from "snip" to "cup transplant" also reduced from 20 to 15 days...my normal time is 10-12 days, with some ready to go after 8 days.

What changed? Using Promix PUR at twice the rate of my diy "root cubes" (moistened Promix BX in net cups)..and let's just say, there is no nutrient deficiency in my grow medium.

On Edit:

Oh yeah, I ordered online another bag 5.3 lb bag of PUR and received a bag that expired 10/2016. Contacted the vendor and Hydrofarm (their shipper) will be sending me a replacement that will no expire within the next 18 months. It seems Hydrofarm has a batch of expired Promix PUR they are shipping to customers (this is the 2nd time this happened to me with the same vendor). Why am I writing this? Because the vendor and Hydrofarm both said do not return the expired product and asked that I dispose of it accordingly.

Moral of the story: Verify product expiration dates and complain when they are expired. AND, when you get lemons, try making lemon chiffon cake (fuck lemonade). I figure the "expired" fungi still has life---at least 50% of the 150 spores/gram on the label, so...if I double my normal rate, then I should be OK. Besides, it is "free" and probably still more potent than many of the other myco products being sold today. Funny way of getting a BOGO.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ehh.. Ignoring the first claim, how did the control with clay and diatomaceous earth go? Which method did you use to quantify inocculation?

Rodehazrd

:tiphat:Hey Guys
I am currently using a product called Orca Its cheap and seems to do as good as some of the more expensive options. I get more foam and slime layer on my teas quicker.
for late veg and flower I have just started a new thing to me called Mammoth P for fixing P. with microbes. Made in Ft Collins.
I have begun to make my own worm castings from my organic garden and local forest dirt. Currently in day 12 of flowering in my first run using EWC tea with local microbes. As I have continued to feed the microherd and add rock powders with each reuse of the media my harvest has gotten better. More smell and weight.I expect the addition of EWC from my own farm to be a boost over the stuff from the grow store but don't have empirical evidence.
:smokeit:

DocTim420

Another BOGO for the Doc!

I bought another 5.3 lb bag of Promix Pur Powder mycos, and the bag I received last week had already expired (May 2016). I called the vendor and was promptly sent a replacement (expiration date November 2019) and told to discard the expired bag. (Groundhog Day movie???).

So I am thinking...the expired bag is not dead, just probably 50% effective; which means if use twice the amount I normally do--I should be OK, (more or less).

So, like last time, I will use the "expired" mycos for mixing my biochar + Malibu Compost concoction and for inoculating the grow medium when mixing...but I will reserve the "fresh" batch for use on transplants.

For the record, this is 2nd "expired" free bag I received--yep, four for the price of two. Crazy!

If you want to know who the vendor is PM me. You see, the orders are fulfilled by Hydrofarm not the vendor...so the vendor is out nothing and is happy to help me. But since Hydrofarm does not want the "expired bags"...I guess they are the ones on the short end of the stick. Ahhh too bad, their loss is my gain!

Rodehazrd

Another BOGO for the Doc!

I bought another 5.3 lb bag of Promix Pur Powder mycos, and the bag I received last week had already expired (May 2016). I called the vendor and was promptly sent a replacement (expiration date November 2019) and told to discard the expired bag. (Groundhog Day movie???).

So I am thinking...the expired bag is not dead, just probably 50% effective; which means if use twice the amount I normally do--I should be OK, (more or less).

So, like last time, I will use the "expired" mycos for mixing my biochar + Malibu Compost concoction and for inoculating the grow medium when mixing...but I will reserve the "fresh" batch for use on transplants.

For the record, this is 2nd "expired" free bag I received--yep, four for the price of two. Crazy!

If you want to know who the vendor is PM me. You see, the orders are fulfilled by Hydrofarm not the vendor...so the vendor is out nothing and is happy to help me. But since Hydrofarm does not want the "expired bags"...I guess they are the ones on the short end of the stick. Ahhh too bad, their loss is my gain!
:tiphat:Hey doc
Would you tell me about biochar? I have been trying out some bonechar by Fertrell that's not the same is it?

DocTim420

Sure, after some research and last year's screaming failure in my outdoor veggie garden, I decided to mix 10% Biochar with 90% Malibu Compost (Biodynamic), and amend it with Rock Dust, Promix Pur Myco, with a liquid mix of unpasteurized skim milk, Sea90 and water.

Something like this--

Mix following:
Biochar (10%) 5 scoops (38 oz scooper)
Rock Dust 93 grams
PUR Mycorrhizae 93 grams

Then add liquid mix--
Water 43 oz
Sea90 28 grams
Raw Skim Milk 10 ml

Mix by hand and let sit for a day...or mix well with a cement mixer for 10 minutes or so.

Finally add the Malibu Compost (90%) 2 cuft bags, mix well (10-15 minutes in cement mixer) and then allow final product it to cure for 10-14 days (longer the better).

I store mine in 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans with 3" a pair of perforated drain pipes positioned vertically to allow air circulation.

Where I once used "compost" I know use this 10/90 blend instead. Super happy with results!

Hope this helps!

Rodehazrd

Sure, after some research and last year's screaming failure in my outdoor veggie garden, I decided to mix 10% Biochar with 90% Malibu Compost (Biodynamic), and amend it with Rock Dust, Promix Pur Myco, with a liquid mix of unpasteurized skim milk, Sea90 and water.

Something like this--

Mix following:
Biochar (10%) 5 scoops (38 oz scooper)
Rock Dust 93 grams
PUR Mycorrhizae 93 grams

Then add liquid mix--
Water 43 oz
Sea90 28 grams
Raw Skim Milk 10 ml

Mix by hand and let sit for a day...or mix well with a cement mixer for 10 minutes or so.

Finally add the Malibu Compost (90%) 2 cuft bags, mix well (10-15 minutes in cement mixer) and then allow final product it to cure for 10-14 days (longer the better).

I store mine in 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans with 3" a pair of perforated drain pipes positioned vertically to allow air circulation.

Where I once used "compost" I know use this 10/90 blend instead. Super happy with results!

Hope this helps!
Thanks Doc
on the malibu are you using the potting soil or the compost they also had a lawn mix. I see I can get it at walley world.
I use a lot of peat promix bx with 25% Happy Frog and a rock powder mix, soak it down with my Orca myco enhanced tea and store in 30 gal tubs 4-6 weeks. Later I add perlite till it feels fluffy enough 30%? I guess you could have too much but the more I use the better they seem to like it. It does dry out quicker. I recycle the mix adding rock powders and peat. but not more compost. I am in my forth use of the same media and it just gets better. I do feed a lot of fish hydro during the whole grow every other watering they get 6 oz per gal.
One more question The Milk? what does the LAB do? I read it would remove the fish smell somewhat but anything else?
:tiphat:

DocTim420

I don't buy bagged potting soil--I make my own.

The idea of using Malibu Compost to charge the Biochar and let it cure--instead of mixing it directly in the grow medium was an idea I thought of after seeing what happened to my veggie garden last year. Raw Biochar basically sucked up all the nutrition out of the soil and what did grow--did not grow very well (signs of nutrient lockup).

Investigate "raw milk". It contains amino acids, bacteria (from both cow and pasture), micro elements, carbs, etc...basically an excellent food source for the microherd residing within the crevices of Biochar particles in my custom grow medium.

Latest posts

Latest posts