What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Joe A. Grower said:
And back to the original topic of the thread . . .

Chronic, by Serious Seeds was my biggest dissapointment when I was growing commercially. I got it as a clone from a reputable clone dealer who claimed to have gone through a number of packs and picked out the best pheno. I was growing tree-style at the time (see my gallery for pics). The Chron was just never as vigorous as other plants in the garden, and none of them ever got more than 3 ft. tall, where most other strains were 5.5' to 6' tall by harvest. The Chron actually yeilded about 80% of what the other plants did, which is impressive considering they were half the size.

This Chronic yielded 1050 grams of dry mnicured bud.It was quite potent...we didn´t like the smoke very much tho... :D
The most dissappointing and expensive btw. was DP´s Blueberry

Last edited:

Syd

ICMag Donor
??? - Red Hair Skunk for unstability and potency
DP - Bluemoonshine for yield and potency
Albanian for potency

Last edited:

RoNdO

Sorry to hear about all these sad chronic stories we loved our chronic we grew it with juicy fruit and chronic was the clear winner. The JF we had was some rough commercial clone picked for weight and couchieness not flavour or quality as far as i could tell. The chronic was a clone from a pack of seeds we grew out maybe if i had stiffer competition I would have a different oppinion bah what am i saying the chronic was and still is great I must be lucky or somethin good long multi purpose buzz and flavour subtle as it was is clearly tasteable and delicious.

I'm lucky again too report that I have grown no worthless plants other than that JF clone i mentioned but still it had uses like if you needed to take a nap at 2 in the afternoon. Remus was good Silver Pearl good Kali Mist was great and Sour B too I got no beef with the chronic even durban poisonxsk#1 freebie was good not too good on the germ but the girls were all very decent and its a nice one for outside 5 popped outta 10 3 girls.

REZDOG

Veteran
3LD adores their ECSDv3....

5284100_4405.JPG

Link:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=18387&page=1&highlight=ecsdv3

More ECSDv3 Pics by 3LD:

5284100_4413.JPG

5284100_4550.JPG

5284100_2172.JPG

5284100_5477.JPG

15pits-1.jpg

M

Mr. Nevermind

Hey REZ

Hey REZ

I just talked to 3leg the other day. he has an all new grow and Sour D is a staple there. I am supposed to go down and take some pics of it to post up here.

Nevermind

I

indicalover

This is a good thread, but I think a lot of this comes down to personal preferance. My brother smokes a lot of my stuff and thinks that most of it does not get him high. I don't know what that fuck is wrong with him, every body else including me gets high as shit on most of what I have sampled. I also feel a lot has to do with the pheno types that you get, I had one pheno of Lifestar by BOG that did not even begin to get you high and two others that crush you.

I also have had three different females of DP blueberry that I liked very much. Potency was at 7.5-8.0, not much blue berry taste though. I thought that I would through that in because I see a lot of people did not really like DP BB.

The only strains that come to mind for lacking potency are BOG sweet cindy 99, potent for about 30 minutes. KC brains NL special was also lacking in my opinion.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i understand the motivation for this thread folks. i even think the aim of the thread is good and useful. but the problem is that it's not so easy to make a fair unbiassed judgment on a strain, until you really have grown it inside and out and to be really objective you need to go through three packs of seeds. because there are different phenos and you never know where the perfect representation of that strain might be hiding. most strains get you a keeper in one pack, but it's by no means certain.

then we have the fact that quite a few aspect are subjective and just depend on preference. i have grown NorthernLights that was a totally nice strain. average yielder, but great trich coverage and taste. at a later date i got more NL clones in, this time they grew totally different much bigger yield, but less trichomes and totally bland and tasteless with no real hit to speak of. same thing has happened with Skunk Haze, first time i got her, she was the best, real memorable. so i got her again and got the biggest disappointment ever, the stuff was hardly smokable it was so harsh.

so i guess i'm trying to say, to really know about something, you sometimes have to try it out yourself. all the things that have been said about the same strain looking different depending on how it was grown is also a part of it. once you find some thing special be sure to hold on to it, lol.

SourDieselv3, days from being cut. can't wait to try her and her sister phenos lol...

M

Mr. Nevermind

I finally remembered that shity strain i got from Wild irish seed co ( emerys catalog) it was sage x blue rhino ( blueberry x white rhino) it was garbage and smelled and taste like hay. i would barely call it weed.

nevermind

solrebl

Why should someone go through 3 packs of seeds just to get the traits representative of the strain? If that's the case, maybe the strain isn't as stable as others. Perhaps the breeder hasn't done a good job... All I'm saying if the breeder says you gonna get this when you buy these seeds, then the traits associated with the strain SHOULD appear homogenously with every seed I pop. I personally would stay away from those seed companie from which you buy 3 packs just to TRY and get the traits they're advertising.
Peace.

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

masterlow37 said:
lol, and emery said it was his favorite strain. he probably had access to a rare or recessive pheno

Indeed, that was one of the reasons i got it. But honestly it smelled and tasted like hay. I am growing sage and have grown many differnt blueberrys and i know there were none of those genes present in the beans i got. Waste of my time and money. i got better herb from a bagseed gorw i did 1 year prior to those beans

nevermind

Joe A. Grower

Raco wrote:
This Chronic yielded 1050 grams of dry mnicured bud.It was quite potent...we didn´t like the smoke very much tho... The most dissappointing and expensive btw. was DP´s Blueberry

The Chronic pheno I had was actually quite a yielder considering how small the plants were. Each plant had better than a dozen nice thick colas. Chronic is definitely a yielder in SOG or SCROG, and apparently outdoors as well (given your experience).

It was a dissapointment for me mostly because it didn't grow well tree-style, it didn't finish up in the 7-8 weeks one would expect from an indica-dominant strain, and it had all the flavor and bag appeal of lawn trimmings. Seriously, a bag of the Chron I grew smelled like something that came out of the grass catcher bag and tasted about the same. It would send you to the moon, but with such poor bag appeal, it was very hard to sell to those incredibly pot-picky Cali stoners.

The AK47, on the other hand . . . hell you didn't even have to open the bag. Just holding a closed bag of that shit next your nose would make you go, "WHOA, now that is some fucking POT!"

I'm not down on Chronic. Maybe it works for some people. The pheno I had just wasn't anything I could work with in my market.

G

guest123

ive really not had too many dissapointing grows ,, and i am always willing to give something a second shot ,, it always will depend on personal tastes which strains will appeal and which wont ..
some folks are different to others , as well as their expectations ...

if i were to have a grow of a strain that i didnt like ,, i think instead of saying ,, that strain is shit ,, it would be more accurate to say ,, its just not my cup of tea ...

Joe A. Grower

solrebl said:
Why should someone go through 3 packs of seeds just to get the traits representative of the strain?

Weeellll, cuz most of us aren't interested in a pheno that is "representative of the strain." What we want is a pheno that is a "superb specimen that expreses the ultimate potential of the strain." Finding an "average" 50th percentile girl is not tough. What we want is that better-than-90th-percentile girl that completely kicks an "average" plant's ass. (if plants had asses, that is)

Biological traits, like marijuana potentcy or human intelligence, tend to vary in a population of individuals with a "normal distribution," aka "the bell curve." In a pack of ten seeds, you really have very little chance of finding that 90th percentile female among the five girls you are likely to get. With three or four packs of seeds, you have a pretty good shot at it. Ten packs will almost always get you that superb keeper female. This is why commercial growers and clone producers will sometimes buy 10 or 20 packs of seeds to find one keeper if they can't get a top-quality clone for a reasonable price.

Believe me, spending $1,000 for seeds to get one keeper is often more affordable than what some price-gouging clone sellers want for their "elite" cuts. When you are growing commercially, even a 5% increase in yield will easily pay for the seeds in a single crop.

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my biggest dissapointment was a plant i found along the railroad. I dug it up and nurtured it into a huge flowering sativa. It was a pretty plant. It was seedless and big fat hairy buds. Obviously in hind site it was a hemp plant of some sort. Cause at harvest time there was hardly any resin on the plant after over 100 days flowering. Needless to say after a week of drying and getting alot of grass clipping smells. We toked a big fat harsh joint and didnt even get high. Other than that one plant and some males I really dig all the plants ive tried. Some are my cup of tea, others arent.

dwtc

wallyduck said:
ive really not had too many dissapointing grows ,, and i am always willing to give something a second shot ,, it always will depend on personal tastes which strains will appeal and which wont ..
some folks are different to others , as well as their expectations ...

if i were to have a grow of a strain that i didnt like ,, i think instead of saying ,, that strain is shit ,, it would be more accurate to say ,, its just not my cup of tea ...
^^what he said

i have smoked erb that other people got blasted off of but i felt like i wasn't at all high. i've smoked erb that i got blasted off of but other people said it was weak. point is that people react to things DIFFERENTLY. some people can take pain pills and be janked up like they were on coke,but i will pass out for 8 hours off of 1 loratab,i react differently to it than other people. everything about us is different so how can you expect to have the same results as somebody else,,,,,,,,,,dwtc

p.s. the above comment wasn't directed at any one person in this thread.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
After reading this thread, I figured a good word for Bogbubble was in order. I only had 3 beans grow out of a pack, and still consider it a good deal. Lovely, tasty, frosty, heavy nugs, just like the pictures, nice NL aftertaste. Results vary I reckon.
H