What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Botrytis, hashish, and me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll! I have 2 plants I moved outdoors that unfortunately seem to be slowly succumbing to botrytis. I have examined pictures online and I am pretty sure it's botrytis anyway, greying buds that go all mushy and moldy from the inside out. So my question is, are the non-greying buds safe to turn into hash? I plan on checking every bud by hand once they are cut off the plant and anything grey is being destroyed, but if there is no grey I was planning on hashing it, unless collectively ya'll think that's A Bad Idea™. I would be using dry ice and bubblebags if that makes any difference. I figure that if the buds are not grey, the only botrytis containment would possibly be spores, which might not be destroyed by the dry ice, but should definitely be destroyed at burning temperatures. What does everybody think? I'm just trying to salvage something at all from these before they turn into mush.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Frozen carbon dioxide, aka dry ice, in a bubble bag. It's basically a dry sift hash.
71nfHRj1%2B6L._SY355_.jpg

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Yeah, I know of someone doing that with medical concentrates for cancer patients, some with compromised immune systems.

Not a safe practice because some molds produce aflatoxins that are extracted along with the oleoresins.

A little aflatoxin/neurotoxin, can go a long way, up to and including death.

Just the spores and fillaments of even non toxic molds can induce Anaphylaxis in some brothers and sisters.

The aroma and flavor of even non toxic molds can also carry through, and in keeping with the immortal words of Crocodile Dundee, " It tastes like shit, but you can live on it."

Some non-toxic molded material is salvageable. Check:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/salvaging-moldy-material-2/

Please spread the word to the ignorant folks you know using moldy material indiscriminately.

Ignorance is no sin, but morality aside, I've come to believe that continuing to perform unsafe acts at the expense of others once enlightened, is knowingly disrupting the harmony of the universe, and inciting the elements of the universe to rise against you.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah I read that thread as well as https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=155623
Botrytis doesn't produce aflatoxin as far as I know though, and I am going to be specifically removing any bud that has even a hint of grey. I'm asking about the non visibly affected buds, which at this point are still the majority of the plant. This is also going to be for personal use only. Thank you for the response though, all are appreciated :)

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah anything that would look like that is getting disposed of. I'm specifically asking about the buds not visibly affected. And by visibly I mean cutting each bud off the stem and inspecting it by hand, any amount of grey is going to get it culled. Even if it's just sugar leaves that are starting to grey up. And sorry if I sound like an asshole. I am in fact an asshole and sometime it is hard to hide it.

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I had some buds on the same plant that were ok. They got a serious look over.

I didn't think so. Maybe it's a Massachusetts thing. I'm on the cape. 8)

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The other buds were okay, and you seem to be alive, so I will take that as a good sign. :biggrin: Thank you for the responses everybody! I'm out in western MA, it's all trees and old people here. I don't really know anybody else local to ask, but I do think the Mass Growers thread has tons of people with the same problem. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341883

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the spores will be all over the buds that look clean, making ice hash with those might help a bit, but you won't be getting it past the lab testing for sales in official outlets. but i have to admit i used to use the clean looking buds even if the top had to be chucked due to mold. nowadays i run strains that don't mold or pm on me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
No sales involved, all personal use. I wouldn't feel right pushing it on anybody else. Do you think I should go the water/ice route over dry ice? I have heard the water can wash the spores off and causes them to rise to the top, which wouldn't happen with dry ice. It's a pain in the ass to get dry ice around me in small quantities anyway, so if the water/ice route is safer I will end up doing that for sure, thanks! And for future I will definitely be prestopping/trying to find outdoor genetics. These 2 plants overgrew my tent and I had to do something with them.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes bubble hash process can help clean off some spores. as you said they will float to the top. so if you scoop some water off the top before pulling the bags you can get rid of some spores, you can also wash the trichomes before collecting them by rinsing the collected pile on the bag screen with cold water. i normally use a sprayer to center the trichomes and rinsing the bubbles away, but you could use a hose or a jug of cold water to slowly rinse the pile of hash on the screen, just need to find a bowl or pan the bag will fit over with the screen stretched flat.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah I used the salad bowl method and stretched the bags across, inside out. Was not a super big yield, maybe 2 grams total, but it did get me super stoned.