What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purchasing Clones vs Running Veg Room

Hey all. I'm here to get some pro's/con's from the educated minds out there.

I pose the question to you, is there strong value to keeping your own veg room, if all you intend to do is keep a mother or two, and lots of juvenile clones?

Here's my situation. I simply do not have the space to have a full sized veg room, large enough to match the size of my flower room. My flower room is 30'x15', and I have no where near that level of space within my space.

The best I could do is keep a couple good sized mothers, and take cuts as they grow. Best I could do as far as veg space would be a 7'x7'x3' space, in which I could add racks and T5's. Again, the plants would only get to the size of rack levels.

Now I live in a great state with lots of access. Very high quality clones are available directly through a collective (not dispensary) for $10 a piece. Rooted in rockwool, extremely healthy, growing fast, etc etc.

My question is whether it is worth investing the time and energy into a veg (basically just cloning) space in my situation, and whether the costs of developing those clones would be substantially lower or not than the cost of the high quality clones that would be coming from a reputable nursery.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Your own you know can be pest and disease free, the rest are a gamble...take a look at bosai mothers and how to do it, a veg space can be a few square feet for one or a few bosaied moms and have enough space to root in to....i dont adhere to the idea of a canopy on moms, it can be a small staulk that gets cut back regularly and just makes enough shoots as you need and cut the rest and let it regen every 3 weeks is what i find...think outside the box and its easy and small space to do it, the new shoots dont hold pests its the big moms with big canopys aging that attract bugs

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mom and rooting cuts take really little space, no gamble as AnotherMed said and taking them to ''bonsai'' it's pretty stupid.

From the grow box in the picture I can take 100 cuts at once, having 30 or more moms. Just more watering because the small pots, but hey…that's the work!

picture.php

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Mom and rooting cuts take really little space, no gamble as AnotherMed said and taking them to ''bonsai'' it's pretty stupid.

From the grow box in the picture I can take 100 cuts at once, having 30 or more moms. Just more watering because the small pots, but hey…that's the work!

View Image

yeah man carve out a 3x3 or 4x4 or something around 9 sqft and dont risk infecting yourself , grow your own mamas bro
you dont need much room or more than4-600 watts max

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Grow plants in veg, take cuttings from plants in veg, then send plants in veg to your flower room. No moms required--been doing it this way for about 10 years and I am perpetual (harvest every week or so) and each plant produces about 1/4 lb of beautiful manicured buds.

In my garden, snipping tops produces cuttings with thicker stems, snipping lower branches will produce cuttings with thinner stems--but stronger roots (older plant tissue is my guess as to why).

MrBungle

View Image

Thats awesome, but what about the intermediate plants that need a week or 2 of veg in their final pot before flower? or is that stage skipped completely and directly into flower??

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats awesome, but what about the intermediate plants that need a week or 2 of veg in their final pot before flower? or is that stage skipped completely and directly into flower??

I let them veg here under 220W fluo until flower room gets free and they're big enough

picture.php

However, that's not the OP case. He doesn't have space for vegging if I am correct and the point is on moms and cuttings…but maybe I'm too stoned and I miss something :biggrin: