What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell of skunk (weed and animal)

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Hey everybody,
Is the original smell of the skunk cannabis strain the same as
a fresh opened bottle Heineken beer and does the animal skunk even smell the same, like this article suggests?

https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/lightstruck/

I am looking for a strain with that typical '90s weed beer smell.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam the Skunkman bred the skunk line away from the putrid smells and towards the sweeter/sugary/fruity smells. So Skunk #1 doesn't have the skunky (animal) phenotypes you are looking for.

I've always hated Heineken because it was such a skunky smelling beer. BUT - no. That is not how RKS would smell. Road Kill, ran over skunk, is a way different, way heavier, way more putrid smell. It literally penetrates fabric to the point it will not wash out. Car upholstery - good luck.

Unless you've ever been near a skunk when hit or when it has sprayed - or a dog that has been sprayed - then it's really a hard smell to pinpoint and find in other substances. Nothing else smells like that. No mistaking it.

I'd love for herb to legitimately smell that way. I've had a few strains with hints of it - but never anything with a 100% pure RKS terp profile.

There are some super long threads that dive deep into the history of Skunk and where the RKS may be found.

dank.Frank

FireIn.TheSky

Heineken that's past its prime smells slightly skunky.

The animal however is 100x more stinky than heineken.

You can literally smell a skunk deadl in the road from a mile away.
It permeates your car even when windows are rolled up.
Skunk weed smelled like the animal.

It's a fairy tale that skunk #1 ever smelled like a real deal dead skunk.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In norcal if we find a dead skunk on the road we bring it home and throw it in the road in front of our house :) wink*

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Heineken that's past its prime smells slightly skunky.

The animal however is 100x more stinky than heineken.

You can literally smell a skunk deadl in the road from a mile away.
It permeates your car even when windows are rolled up.
Skunk weed smelled like the animal.

It's a fairy tale that skunk #1 ever smelled like a real deal dead skunk.

You claim that like it is fact. I personally grew skunk 1 and it reeked like a skunk. As did MadJag, Sam, and literally 100's of other people. The only fairy tale in the one you keep repeating. Please stop speculating.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Ok i would be great with a strain that has the beer smell. Must not be full on dead animal. The recent Sensi Seeds strains (Super skunk, Sensi skunk, Skunk #1) don't exhibit it like expected. It's a little different from what I knew from the coffeeshops in the '90s.

FireIn.TheSky

You claim that like it is fact. I personally grew skunk 1 and it reeked like a skunk. As did MadJag, Sam, and literally 100's of other people. The only fairy tale in the one you keep repeating. Please stop speculating.

In today's day and age it is a fairy tale.

We're talking like 40 years ago, it might as well be big foot or the aliens from roswel.

It was never a skunky strain when it was sold in original seed catalogs, in sacred seeds and the sssc catalog it was listed as sweet smelling.

Another point I'd like to raise is how do you so easily breed out such heavy stink.

It's like if I was to breed og kush, that smell permeates for generations. How would you so quickly turn a horribly stinky strain into a sweet one.

J-Icky

Skunk smells like freshly molded still hot rubber, with hints of putrid rotting organic matter and freshly decaying flesh. Thats the best way i can describe it from smelling it at least once a week for years. The only times I don't get the pleasure of smelling it is during the depths of winter when they hibernate.

SO to answer your question, no skunky beer does not come close to the true smell of a skunk. I've only once ever had herb that had that rank, permeating smell and that was in my early days. It was only my 3rd time ever smoking when I got those golf ball buds and it absolutely blew me away. That quarter lasted me over 2 months worth of occasional pinners. I had to keep it n the garage and my mom swore we had a skunk living in there. Never saw that herb again and still all these years later have never gotten anything that smelled the same or even anything that had such a powerful odor.

FireIn.TheSky

My dead skunk clone smells so rank like a skunks ass it gives me sneezing fits when I try to smell it. Tonight I sneezed for 20 min straight after a few whiffs.

It is by far the smelliest plant I have ever encountered.

Sulfur smells like farts not skunk.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I still would be glad about ideas for strains that still have the exact beer/hops aroma. They were very common in the 90s.

idiit

Veteran
rks smells like rks even from a long distance. grew one outdoors back in the early '80's. no beans saved like lots of great strains back in da day.

RB56

Veteran
I started growing with bag seeds - never knew what came from where. I can't smell skunk (the animal), but I sent some buds from one plant to my brother who can smell skunk and lives where they are plentiful. He put some of the weed in a pill bottle and left it in his car while he went into work. When he next got into his car: "I thought somebody had put a dead skunk in my car". Thought this was funny because apparently some weed does smell like skunk but more because he thought it was possible that somebody had put a dead skunk in his car.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Heiny, moosehead, molson all the green bottled beer can have a slight skank to them .......but it ain't even close to the rank skank of the true roadkill mid/late 70's......Corralitos,CA.....spongy lime green golf balls that would stick to anything and make one break out in a sweat while leaving mouth/tongue coated in skunks ass juice......skanky skunk smell from sprout through cure......unfrikkenmistakable.........not like all the damn wannabe's of today that think they have it when they ain't even clooooose........

ganj on....................

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sulfur smells like farts not skunk.

No. Farts smell like methane and a bit of hydrogen sulfide.

Are you people without a proper olfactory system??

My years as a child touching and smelling everything have been of benefit apparently.:laughing:

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts