What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scratching My Way To Harvest....Hopefully.

Former Guest

Sooo...lol like the title says, I want to harvest...hopefully. This has been quite the life lesson and other than saying that, let's just get into what's going on right now which is all that matters :laughing:
CLONES:
Pennywise: indica dominant medicinal strain
Durban Bubble: sativa dominant
Connie Chung: indica dominant

picture.php

here's my outdoor Pennywise that I started from seed and grew untrained, topped all natural into a Christmas tree where she ended up outside with all the other rejects from my garden to fight the fierce elements of the PNW unaided by tarp or light dep. She's growing crazy and nothing really phases her. she's supposed to be highly mildew resistant but I know that isn't true because indoors she was covered in PM. that's why she got the boot outside but now she's better. either way, she's growing bushier so I had to pull her away from the house for better air flow. plus I got to see how she would react to the training. She didn't want to bend far at first...
picture.php

but later I got her to lower another few feet. She can take it though because she's planted in the earth and she has a decent sized stalk.
picture.php

She has a 1:1 THC/CBD with an avg of 11-12% each but that is one of four phenos so I don't know what the outdoor one is and was told that the clones I bought were "the keeper". of course they are. :laughing:
I bought a clone of Pennywise and of Durban Bubble which I will talk a bit about later. After a week, I realized I would have to veg these bitches forever if I wanted to fill a 4x4 scrog and I'm impatient so I bought another 3 of each for a total of 4 of each strain. As the pennywise grew, I think she just wants to grow tall and not branch out as much so I became hesitant on how I should train her and would she be better suited for topping a couple times to help her bush out some and just not put her in a scrog. After some advice and thought, I came to the conclusion that I have two strains that will scrog easy for me and one that will be a chore. So I'm topping her into a bush while the others will go into the tent to share.

So the other gals....

Former Guest

Durban Bubble: sativa dominant cerebral stone that is good for pain relief while remaining focused. 9-10 wk flowering time with a bubble gum flavor and nice yield. cross of Durban Poison and BOGs Blue Moon Rocks. She really likes to eat and I was told to give her roots room. She REALLY likes to eat so I have been battling this since bringing her home.
picture.php

picture.php

here they both are right after transplant
picture.php

now they look like this
picture.php

picture.php

Former Guest

but then came Connie Chung. I still had another room available and once I took her home and she was very good to me...
picture.php

gave her some fish hydrolysate and guano company super tea with some mycos and she greens right up...a little too up but it's going to be ok :D

She has a thick coat of trichs on her from the collective where I got some of her flowers at. I remember her tasting good and making a mental note to pick her up again which doesn't happen often. I'm really excited for these ones. They're in the living room at my place right now before I take them over to moms place to go into the tent with the Durban to be scrogged. which most concerns me about this is the difference in growth rates I will be expecting and timing both of them to flip 12/12 at the same time will be interesting.

so lets see the rooms if ya haven't already... :smokeit: just a second here...

Former Guest

So the way I want to grow is big giant soil beds inspired by the outdoors thread but I want to bring nature indoors in the simplest way possible. I don't want to brew compost teas because I brew up some funky stuff sometimes and then I'm kinda screwed because the girls need a drink so I end up giving them some water and brewing some more tea and then they get over watered and it's just been a giant fiasco.

So what I've learned is to pick up the pots and feel how heavy they are before and after watering. stick you finger in the dirt and feel how deep down the moisture is. use a measuring cup to give water to visually see how much you're giving them. it doesn't matter how much I clean my airstones, they're nasty and only give me headaches but most everyone else is fine using them so I'm sure it's some sort of mistake I'm making. maybe they're not soaking in bleach, going through a dishwasher, soaking in copper sulfate, enough. even bought a commercial air pump and my first tea was disfuckgusting. so, I have concluded that I am cursed with water born microbiology and have searched for a way to have good living soil without all the brewing.

I have tossed around top mulching for a bit and have been told by a few that it's not going to cut it and compost teas are the only way to go but I see people like FatherEarth, and most recently Crazy Composer who have shown that a well tuned in environment and having a healthy soil can really go a long ways with the implement of microbes using different styles of organic gardening that have really inspired me. you should check out their threads for more info.

oh yeah, I was going to show ya the beds and tent/room...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bacon break....gotta get something in me before I put the plastic coated chicken wire fencing on the pallets. these beds were inspired by FatherEarth's beds in his big soil thread.
picture.php

picture.php

Former Guest

picture.php

before I read some of these threads, I already built my soil. in fact, I have two different soil recipes in the tent. I really like to make things easy on myself. :laughing: one is based off of bongaloid recipe which is just guano and kelp with some peat and EWC. I planted my old Dream Berry in it and she ate up the nutes for at least a month and a half before I had to give her some food because of yellowing leaves. its really going to be quite soilless in comparison to the other which is a mix of peat, ewc, oly fish compost, 40/20/20 with well more than the remaining in perlite, clay pellets and expanded shale...I got a little carried away after overwatering some stuff and didn't measure out the aeration. whoops. this has a premixed fertilizer that isn't time released but is a mix of amendments and mycos from a local garden store that sells bulk amendments and makes their own mixes. it has a 2-4-3 npk and all the essential stuff. heres the info:
Specially formulated for vibrant healthy Maritime NW Gardens and plants requiring lime. A complete blend of fish byproducts plus kelpmeal and natural rock minerals including limes especially suited for all soils in cool climate conditions.
Guaranteed analysis:

Total Nitrogen: 2%

Available Phosphoric Acid (P205): 4%

Soluble Potash (K20): 3%
Calcium (Ca): 13%
Magnesium (Mg): 2%
Sulfur (S): 2%
Derived From: fish bonemeal, fishmeal, rock phosphate, kelpmeal, lime, dolomite, langbeinite, and sulfate of potash. Other ingredients from glacial rock dust, Azomite, volcanic rock dust, lignite, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, and manganese sulfate.

I then used a recipe from someone else in real life and this is what they use along with compost teas but said I could water only in it if I wanted. well, it's not working so well so my plan and hence the title of the thread, is to scratch in amendments as needed into the soil by reading my plants.

I really like the way this idea works and I got it from Crazy Composer who has a soilless mix of promix, rock dusts, and EWC and then top mulches weekly the needed nutrition. you should check out his yields; it's crazy.

FatherEarth uses microbial innoculants, enzymes, and other goodies to boost his soil with the sometimes added plant extract tea but most his stuff is a water only type of style with recycled amended rich soil.

both of these fellas use nature's cues to increase the herd in the soil where I kinda think the belong IMHO.

I've been trying to feed them teas and such but long story short it hasn't been working so I scratched in some alfalfa meal, fish bone meal, and dry powdered mycos and applied each container depending on how much the plant needed. then I watered each one a little bit to get the surface wet and then went back around and gave them the actual waterings. Now that I think of it, I should of gave them some yucca and ful-power with the water to help break down the amendments but next time ladies; next time. :sasmokin:

Former Guest

Subbed, great thread mate!

Thanks Sticky, they always start off great but....

Today in the garden, I picked up some local EWC straight from the farm and worked them about a half inch deep into the top soil, then watered them. This happened to the Penny's and the Durbans' but Connie got a different treatment.

I noticed some flyers coming out of the bottom of the solo cups so they got a dose of SNS with some superthrive and yucca and were watered until quite a bit of run off was flowing out of the drain holes. didn't seem to phase them a bit. I am not convinced yet that they are not infested with spider mites. I got them from a dispensary that has spider mites. I've gone in there a few times and never bought them because the leaves all had damage, but I decided to take a looksee to see if they had rectified the issue. lol

The clones they had were all healthy and they were upfront about having the infestation a few months ago without even asking and assured me they had none now. They were spraying them with something (I asked but the guy said he doesn't work the day they spray?) that is concentrated and leaves a shine to the leaves. They gave it to a new employee and told them to spray it on the plants and didn't say to follow directions or whatever so the stupid stoner sprayed the concentrate on the clones. so some of them had leaf damage pretty bad but were growing still. the Jesus OG was one of them that got it good. you buy 5 and get a deal and they only had 4 Connies left so the budtender said what about this one and since all the clones looked either healthy or spray damaged and I had been looking at every single one, I didn't notice that he had put the Jesus OG in my box and all I did was count to 5 and was distract buy that lushish lady Connie. Well, I get home and I'm taking them out of the box and I realized what had happened. The Jesus OG was pretty burned up but it was going to make it so I just dunked it in Nuke Em with the others and put them back in the box and took them into my living room to stay put. well, the look to the plants kept bugging me and so I grabbed the scope and found a two spotted mite. it did not move around and was orangey yellow which I am assuming is it dried up from either the Nuke Em or the spray they did the day before. The Connie's are not showing any leaf damage of spidermites and the damage of the leaves on the Jesus OG hasn't gotten any worse but granted, there is not much new growth. Jesus has been banned outside with the rest of the rejects and now I'm just sitting here keeping the air dry and the temps up past 70 so I can try and create the perfect environment for spider mites to see if I can get any to hatch and show themselves now before bringing them into the room. Still not worried about it but irritated I'm not going to get to put them under a better light so they grow quicker. the joys of buying clones. those dirty dirty whores.

I should add that two garden spiders are feasting on whatever is on Jesus OG outside.

Former Guest

So it's been a week since I gave them top mulching to help address individual nute issues and I'm here to report IT WORKED AWESOME. everyone is happy and growing and there's nothing going on really with the leaves anymore except some minor ph marks on one or two plants but it hasn't increased and I plan on checking ph at transplant time which is going to be super freaking soon because I got my check for school and I'm in the money now finally!! paid off mom from borrowing the past two months, going to buy some smart pots in 1 and 3 gallon size at Costco or maybe horticulturesource online. crazy cheap beds on the last website and they have other brands besides Smart Pots and I really love GroPro fabric beds. such better quality and half the price so I'm going to get 1 gallon containers for $1.12!!! which also leads me to tell ya that I've decided to take out the big soil beds and instead do a stadium of plants so I don't have to harvest a giant scrog that 4x8 all at once. This was decided after a dab session talking with some farmers who've grown for a decade or two who helped me get my garden design set up for maximum efficiency. they were concerned with work load due to harvesting and training the scrog conflicting with my homework and school. They also didn't like the fact that I would have big harvest with not much in between so having a perpetual room is a really great way to help get more harvests that are less work. Using containers instead of beds will also help me with overwatering which is what most newbs such as myself have. They suggested I use bottled nutes and instructions which sounds to me like a great idea; except today I hauled out ten garbage cans filled with soil hehehe so since I have figured out how to top mulch plants to figure out their soil mix because each strain wanted something different, I plan on using that to reamend when the plants tell me they need it and if that fails later on, I can use the bottles possibly?? feedback?

I also was having some trouble brewing my teas. there are so many tea recipes out there and some have different stuff in them because there's different types of teas that are for flowering and veg, so I just added some veg type ingredients to my teas following the instructions on the amendment box. well, I'm not exactly sure what was going on because the reason I chose this method was because I am having trouble brewing teas without making them funky. So I asked and got a response to not add kelp and see if that helped. I did that and I haven't had any issues. not sure what the issue was.
So as of now, I went out got a large airstone that was clean and not the 8 in flat disk style I was using before and got a new round bucket. I added molasses (I pour this in honestly), 2 oz fish hydrolysate, EWC, 4 T of alfalfa meal, 2 T Maritime Mix 2-4-3 and let her bubble. the air pump made the 3 gallons (again, I'm guessing and yes I don't recommend doing this) of tea not only have a rolling bubble that went up about 4-5 inches above the surface but it also rocked it back and forth in the bucket! it looked like a freaking washing machine. needless to say, I used to get a funky smell before the 24 hour mark easy but now this tea brewed for over 48 hours and still smelled good! I am so happy! my plants are so happy! all is well!

ya know, if the ladies aren't happy, the gardener isn't happy.

Durban Bubble
picture.php

picture.php

Pennywise
picture.php

Both of the girls and Dream Berry bushed out revegging. I was going to take clones from her but decided I wanted her to start having some normal leaves first. she's having a hard time adjusting as it's been a few weeks. she'll get over it.
picture.php

Last edited:

Former Guest

Oh! I almost forgot about my favorite gal Connie Chung! She's grown like crazy and has passed inspection of two weeks and can now go into my grow room. the mites must have been dead upon arrival or the nuke em got em when I dunked them but no marks on the leaves and the microcope shows nothing so as soon as I get the fabric pots in the mail, they're going in the room. I really just love those fabric pots. cheap, easy to use, plants love them and you can wash them in the washing machine after each use. LOVE!

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's what I like to hear! Super happy for you. Plants do look great.

I think that yeah, you should recycle your soil and amend it again. And if that doesn't feed them you could always top dress.
What bottle nutes are we talking about? I'd say if that's what you understand or want to do, then do it.

Former Guest

it would mean buying new soilless dirt. i have an older thread saved where a commercial grower compared several different types of feed schedules comparing 6 different popular lines: advanced nutes, earthjuice, marine based organics, fox farms, dyna gro, GH and then he also compared several additives like bloom initiators, enzymes, cal mag supps, etc within each feed line comparison. the thread is REALLY long but it very detailed and just amazing. the end result was that Advanced won with .76 gpw with EJ on it's coat tails and .74 if i remember correctly. so i originally bought AN for the hydro system and then EJ for the soil plants. the grower judged on yield, bag appeal, smell, taste, bud girth, and many different qualities growers are looking for. he said that while AN won for yield, EJ and the marine products won for taste. the marine products did surprisingly poor i think due in part to them having a high nitrogen rate and he even did a marine veg with a different bloom to lower N and that seemed to help. i have to copy paste it since it's from another forum but that person also c/p from one lol so i really am not too sure who did the study. i will c/p in my disclaimer thread since it has nothing to do with my thread here really and it's long. when I'm done i'll edit with the link to it from icmag here.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=291087&page=32

Last edited:

Former Guest

thank you!! woofy can smell moles when she walks past a mole hill and thinks she can get em but obviously her face is too fat, hence the brown face. she really doesn't like the soil, but liked the neem meal?!?!

I'm going to use the EJ line I have at home already if that wasn't clear in my ramblings of why I chose it. put the bong down.....

Granger2

Veteran
luckyladybean,
Ledtester's Nute Study is what you're referring to. Great article. I use his EJ feed chart in coco/perlite with a little modification. Works really well for high quality bud, good yields. Good luck. -granger

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was very detailed, I admit I didn't read it all but i say go for it if its what you want.
Which feed style/line are you leaning towards?

Former Guest

picture.php

transplanted the Connie Chungs today and brought them into the grow room.
picture.php

They got 1 gallon smart pots, some aloe, fulvic, fish hydrolysate, EWC, guano super tea and sea crop. the roots were very well established but weren't circling yet after two weeks in solo cups. they have been a little limpy after transplant.

the tall ones on the right side in bigger pots are the pennywise with the durbans in the back looking bushy.
picture.php

transplanted the Pennywise into 3 gallons as well as gave them the same tea. they didn't seem to care at all.

all the ladies are back inside. the Durban Bubbles will get a transplant on Tuesday when there are more 3 gallons available as everyone in the damn county has purchased all but the last four I bought. seems 1, 3, and 5 gallon smarties are the way to go here.

picture.php

I also transplanted some aloe yesterday and put that in the room as well and brought in the comfrey plant as temps outdoors are quite low and I want her to grow year round for some plant extract teas.

picture.php

Everyone also got a fresh top mulch of EWC with the transplanted ones getting a dusting of mycos dry powder mixed in with the mulch as I forgot to dust the root ball before transplant.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Veeerry nice. Glad the tea is working out. If you haven't found it yet, microbeorganics.com. I find the percentages easy to work with, and he debunks a number of myths, veg and flower teas among them (though that may be on TLG).

Many people call me a tea nazi hehehe. I call them "clusterfuck tea makers", which, I like anyone am guilty of at one point. Now it's just compost/ewc and molasses, though sometimes add veeerry small amounts of oatmeal, alfalfa, kelp, etc. Nutrient teas are useful, but when I'm brewing microbes, I brew microbes.

Latest posts

Latest posts