What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

After planting germinated seed in soil, when do you add light?!

I like using "Free" sunshine when I can. I use a window sill with frosted glass a lot for seeds, clones, ect. I choose the North or East side of the house for 1/2 strength sunlight or the South or West side when they're big enough to take the harsh sun.

yh light from the word go,that light is fine as long as youkeep it far enough away, yh take that cling film off the pot and let it breath, once the shoot pops through the soil it wont take long for it to take off under that light, keep the soil quite moist till the second true set of leaves the let the soil dry then water till runnoff then keep repeating once soil is dryish, id say 2-3 weeks time it will need repotting, what size are you flowering in and how long are you gonna veg it for m8?

hb

ijim

A CFL one of those curly fluorescent bulbs for a few bucks. They don't give off much heat and once the seedling breaks the soil you can keep then a couple of inches away so that they don't reach for the light. This stretch makes them tall and too thin to support themselves and you find yourself transplanting too soon and doo deep.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
This is what your brand new baby seedling is looking for...

Your seedling blows it's nose on puny 20,000 watt lamps. What? You're talking CFLs? Well now they're just laughing at you, kicking sand in your face and making off with your girl.

This doesn't mean you must germ under your biggest lamp. Just that the biggest lamp you have is a penlight without batteries compared to what they want. Because you fibbed to them about what the sun was, they'll build themselves accordingly. Dumping them under a big lamp now will fry them. Hang lamp extra high, place seedlings under the big lamp at "noon" (so their first exposure is half a day followed by a good nights sleep) lower lamp slowly over the course of a week.

iceyigloo

Hey guys,

So the newly planted g13 ak sour has got it's first leaf poked above soil as far as I can tell and it has not yet been 24 hours!

Should I be removing the cling film at this point? I was planning on doing that once it pops up a bit more.

in response to half baked, I don't know what size i will be re-potting in, i'm thinking 5 gallon bucket. I do not know how long I am going to keep this plant in vegetative state, I am still reading up on that . to @freezerboy i am keeping the light on 24/7 until I reach the flower stage.

Everyone THank YOU! :)

It has been under 600 w MH light about 5 ft under. I am going to post a follow up with pictures of my progress.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Hey Icey,
The vids ok, bit rough around the edges, but thats basically one method. stay away from tin foil mate(bin/black bags are fine for keeping dark) & add more drainage holes than was shown(i use a sandwitch tub for paper towel method btw). using HIDs is ok, like FB said just set it high, might mess ya RH about a bit though(untill you get some foliage in there anyway), one reason why i use CFL's at the start(you should be fine with AC hoods). once their up theres no need for the cover wrap really, as long as ya RH isnt silly low, around 60% you'll need, but they can cope with lower or higher, as long as its not too much out.
Sounds like your on the right path. youve got a hygrometer i presume?? G'Luck with ya grow mate!

Last edited:

iceyigloo

Hey Scrogeran, ... cool, going to remove the saran wrap now.
Thanks for looking at the video.

(I think I killed my previous seed which this post was originally about b/c did not surface and is presumed dead b/c I think I didn't let it sprout long enough tail and may have over watered.)

I know you had asked twice, sorry for not answering. I don't have a hygrometer, so now I will have to buy one.

Can you help me understand... I don't know... what does RH stand for?
Also, FB said to give them 12 hours on off now... ? From reading that would put it into flowering I though... I am going to keep MH on 24/7 until flowering. It's actually about 4 1/2 ft from the light

The soil is still moist, I'm also wondering if I should give it a lil' misting or watering around the edges?

I am doing much research on all of this! I appreciate your time!
Here are pictures IMG00022-20110919-0441.jpg

IMG00023-20110919-0442.jpg

IMG00024-20110919-0446.jpg

FreezerBoy

Veteran
RH is relative humidity. It's what a hygrometer measures.

Get the plant in open air as soon as it sprouts. High RH can be useful in certain cloning situations but even then it can be dangerous. A rooted plant is better off without it.

A good nights sleep doesn't have to be 12 hours. I give mine a 6 hour night. At the risk of setting off a flamewar, I find 18/6 far outgrows 24/0. Being cheaper is just gravy.

iceyigloo

FB, hey! :)

When you say , "I find 18/6 far outgrows 24/0. Being cheaper is just gravy." You mean this in a litteral sense... bigger yields when doing 18/6 cycle ? And yes, obviously cheaper the better!

I am going through your links now, very kewl and imformative... reading.... reading...

and yes, thank you for your time as well!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
After domes for clones and LEDs in general, 24/0 vs 18/6 may be the most contentious issue on the forum.

I started 24/0 thinking more was better. Everyday I'd open the cab after waking and think, "aren't they cute." Then I switched to 18/6 and would think, "The underpants gnomes stole my plant and replaced it with a bigger one." Everyday, I'd be shocked by new growth, something that never happened under 24/0.

I'm sure there are many who will disagree with the above so please, do it nicely. We don't want to scare the new guy.

Scrogerman

Veteran
yeah if your growing indoor, your gonna wanna have a RH readout, so a hygrometer is an essential piece of kit really, their not expensive either, so get yaself one asap.
Good advice from FB. Personally i run 20/4 for veg.
G'Luck!

iceyigloo

Hey guys, my success so far.

I got the first ak sour seed growing,
Its about 2 inches above soil. Just now developing the little side leaves. The top big first leaves are stuck together it looks like. You can see in picture.
There is some sort of brown spot on top of leaf, and under one leaf it looks a little scarred. I wonder if I had under 600 MH too close before.

There is also a lil' yellow spot on the end of one of the leaves coming in. I wonder if IT IS STILL too close to the MH?

It is now under MH 4 ft. It seems to soak up water quickly

2 other seeds working there way above soil. I am thinking of getting some nutrients for them after they have had 2 or 3 weeks in the Ocean Forest Fox Farm. Any feedback? :) IMG00025-20110923-0331.jpg

IMG00026-20110923-0332.jpg

I suspect the top two leaves will open themselves up
The soil is actually staying pretty moist when i poked to the bottom with a chopstick

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
i use root riots to germinate seeds....i have about a 99% success rate

I don’t believe germinating seeds before planting is advantageous because the root sprout micro-hairs break off when you remove the seedling from the paper. Likewise the seedling is not oriented properly relative to gravity until it gets planted and it reorients itself. No need to cover the cup. Too much moisture (over watering) is more frequently a problem for beginners then under watering, so don’t forget plenty of drain holes. Leave the stuck cotyledon (preleaf) alone as they will separate on their own and any intervention will certainly stunt growth. I turn on the light cycling when the seed is planted. Keep up your good work. You will succeed if you don’t give up.

PPp