What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get bushy and awesome mother plants?

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I have this problem where my plants in veg don't get bushy or create clone material unless I top them. What method do you use, what light do you use, what training method do you use. Please explain what you do in detail. I have my plants under a 250 mh, and I use the rezipe.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
under a 250 you really dont have the light to get big and bushy

You really need more light and grow it big, the side branches will eventually catch up

so you are stuck with topping, to achieve more growth

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
under a 250 you really dont have the light to get big and bushy

You really need more light and grow it big, the side branches will eventually catch up

so you are stuck with topping, to achieve more growth

Great post dog, I agree!!

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
no your 250 has better light penetration

Your better off getting a bigger area to get the bigger moms, or you can start tying it down, lst will get you some more growth on less light

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Does this qualify as bushy? 1 plant 250W HPS
What method do you use, what light do you use, what training method do you use. Please explain what you do in detail
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=145512
Old pics in gallery. 14g solid state wire, washers and...
11258ak51119_03.jpg

View image in gallery
11258ak51119_02.jpg

View image in gallery
11258AK3_0925_02.jpg

View image in gallery
11258wieghts01.jpg

View image in gallery
2.5lb weights:joint:

The best bushes are created by removing 3 outta 4 inner-bush nodes, giving the left over plenty of room to grow buds.

L

Lord Humungus

I have this problem where my plants in veg don't get bushy or create clone material unless I top them.

i'd suggest topping and then toppping and retopping. or lest and mroe lst hehe

dr dog is right more power will help you build a beefier momma, no doubt. one thing you can do (temps bearing of course) is bring the light closer to the plant to encourage them to grow faster.

some times genetics plays a role too (my valley og doesnt get anywhere near as bushy as my bubba kush or sour dubble).

good luck i hope you get some beefy moms.

*mistress*

Veteran
8-10 wks...
22/2 cycle.
very close to light (5-15cm) away.
transplant to bigger containers every 2 wks. or, when roots come out of bottom 2l, then 8l, then 15l... maybe...

no real need to top... but need to thin, train, prune...
thin to strongest limb from strongest cut. eliminate all other, maybe...

HOZ

I've always used LST for my mommas, right now i have "da purps" uder a single 150cfl, 6 inches tall and 15+ more clones ready to be taken.. If you take your cuttings properly (leaving at least one replacement node on the same branch) along with LST you can have a pancake-bush ha ha.

PistilPete

Enjoying the ride
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Re-vegged plants make some great bushy moms.
For example..... At the moment, I have a less than 6 inch Laughing Buddha x Super Skunk (Swan Song Seeds) re-vegging mom that has more shoots than i can count and she's not even fully back into veg yet. By the time she's ready I'll be able to take dozens of clones at a time from her and she'll be under 12 inches tall.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Get some small pliers. A scrap of cloth.

If you dont get any branching then get down low on the plant, say a few inches up from the base, and crush the stem. First cover the pliers with the cloth as to not FK up the "skin" of the stem and stop all nute movement within the plant itself.

The whole plant will then be on it's side, make sure you support it somehow if it's real tall when you do this. In a few days the tip will start to point up again, all the nodes will too, and the crushed part will heal and get fat.

But if you have time, just top it now and do it the old fashion way: Top, train, Top, train... Re-pot and burry an inch or so of stem... etc.

PS 250s are the shit.

I

Iron_Lion

I have this problem where my plants in veg don't get bushy or create clone material unless I top them. What method do you use, what light do you use, what training method do you use. Please explain what you do in detail. I have my plants under a 250 mh, and I use the rezipe.

I use a 250 HPS/MH with AC hood, i keep the light as close as possible, I root restrict, root prune, FIM and supercrop continuously works well for creating nice shrubby plants.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Since I am on a time table, I guess I will take as many clones as I can get right now, put the plants in veg in to the flowering tent....and start fresh with the newly rooted clones. My light is like 2 feet away, my containers are too large, and the only training I did was topping them.

Try fimming as opposed to topping, lower success rates but better results, nothing to lose.
A missed fimm will still result in a split of two growth points.
Fim all growth points and hope for a 4 way split.
Also use lst... keep tying the highest points back and you will soon have a bush with more clones than you need

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Toking you do realize your answering a question that was last posted on in 2010 ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I feel this thread should have had more traffic than it enjoyed.

Kiwiboy pointed out one of the best ways for keeping productive mothers, regardless of the size plant you're keeping. I've used OT1's bonsai mum method for over a decade and love it. 12 Mums under a 2-lamp 4' shoplight? 50-100 cuttings a month for each? What's not to like?? :tiphat:

IMO, a significant amount of resources are wasted on giant 'Mum' plants. I prefer medium sized bonsai, in hydro, under 2' across and 2' high. The root trimming sucks, but it's an amazingly productive method. :)Save

Latest posts

Latest posts