What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ph down with citric acid??

jayjayfrank

Veteran
1/2 tsp of earth juice down(citric acid) takes my tap ph from 9.0 to 6.5(4 gallons). it is crystal but larger than a powder(that you would see at a store) lots of good info in this thread

I smell some negative reputation coming my way....That being said, If you plan on growing organically and you mix up a proper soil....you can throw your pH meter away.

Check out the Organic Soil Forum...lots of people over there with mucho experience will tell you the same thing....most notably B1 the moderator.
Good luck.

Moosiepoo

Im growing in an organic no till set up. But my tap water is like 9.0-9.1 so im looking for an organic alternative to ph dwn. im considering using citric acid but my water sits in a perlite SIP tray and am concerned about ph swinging back up...

Lyfespan

Im growing in an organic no till set up. But my tap water is like 9.0-9.1 so im looking for an organic alternative to ph dwn. im considering using citric acid but my water sits in a perlite SIP tray and am concerned about ph swinging back up...

EM-1

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
best things for PH down

1. EM-1
2. epsom
3. Braggs apple cider vinegar
4. citric acid

out of those 4 i'd only use citric,
em1 you have to add SO much to really effectively lower pH
i duno if epsom salts will lower pH at all...
if i were to use any kind of vinegar (acetic acid) i'd use horticultural 20 or 30%
citric is a good option

Moosiepoo

Em-1 is a microbial innoculant. dont think it will adjust ph? same with the epsom as far as ive read. or maybe im missing something?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Em-1 is a microbial innoculant. dont think it will adjust ph? same with the epsom as far as ive read. or maybe im missing something?

em1 is acidic, but it would be wasteful to use it to lower pH of your water

Lyfespan

the benefits of EM-1, considerably out way the cost especially when activating it.

as well as the others mentioned, think about what they bring to the table in side mechanisms, and synergistically

remember to account for true alkalinity of things

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lyfespan, how much are you lowering your pH? one point? 2 points? when i add an oz per gallon to my water it doesn't change the pH more than half a point if that even

em1 is extremely effective tool, just never heard of peeps using it to adjust pH - all the established farmers i've met use horticultural vinegar at 30%
many of these people use em1 as well

Lyfespan

lyfespan, how much are you lowering your pH? one point? 2 points? when i add an oz per gallon to my water it doesn't change the pH more than half a point if that even

em1 is extremely effective tool, just never heard of peeps using it to adjust pH - all the established farmers i've met use horticultural vinegar at 30%
many of these people use em1 as well

my waters ph after adding potassium silicate is around 9.2 in a 50 gallon rez, i dump in 1/2 liter of EM-1 and it drops my ph 6.9

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Hello all, I just tested my house well water. I'm looking at using citric acid for my greenhouse. ( free chlorine o%, Ph 8.4 max, Total alkalinity 240 max, Total hardness 0, Cyanuric 100 ). Max is the highest the test strips went to.
I don't understand how the Ph levels go back up in time using citric acid. I will be mixing in a 250 gallon tank. I don't have an injector for mixing. I will mix and test until Ph level is at 6.2 to 6.5 This level will go up when adding nutrients. I only use fish emulsions and Epsom salts for my plants. Nutrients are not added to main storage tank. They are mixed separately at time of feeding for various strain requirements. All breeder recommendations are followed. If someone can tell me why Ph levels go back up using citiric acid. I would like to know why? The only other thing in my soil mix is earthworms. Thanks for your time. Peace

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
R/O starts at 7.

The addition of a tiny bit of nearly any nutrient or emulsion will drop it quite easily. I personally use a touch of maxibloom as pH down. In between feedings.

Why give your plants the chance to absorb something they'll never turn into awesome product? I use potassium citrate for pH up and have had a quart of pH down for years, with over half left. R/O makes all the difference. :)