What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leave on stems?

dddaver

Veteran
I have always cured using big old pickle jars. Washed of course. I have a few. Then I just take maybe half ounce out at a time and put it in a smaller jar for smoking. But I have always left the buds on the stalks for curing in the larger jars after trimming off excessive fan leaf. Should I cure just the buds and cut them off the stems before curing?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I do! Why add more moisture than you need in your jars?

Some dry the whole plant at a time. I do not like this method as some branches will dry (be ready) out before others. I hang my buds my individual branches. When done I place individual buds in jars along with a hygrometer and a 62% boveda pack

RB56

Veteran
I leave some stem on in the jars for handling and to hold some empty space in the jars so air can move around the buds.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I gave up on bottles and use cardboard boxes.
I used to use bottles, (1/2 gallon) but only filled 3/4 full which was about 1oz.
1oz X 1 harvest = too many bottles..

Full bottles tended to mold if not burped very regularly and they make too much noise clanking against each other.

RB56

Veteran
I gave up on bottles and use cardboard boxes.
I used to use bottles, (1/2 gallon) but only filled 3/4 full which was about 1oz.
1oz X 1 harvest = too many bottles..

Full bottles tended to mold if not burped very regularly and they make too much noise clanking against each other.
Quantity is definitely a factor. I never harvest more than a pound at a time and process most of that for edibles. Means 3-4 ounces of bud gets cured at a time, easy enough in 1/2 gallon Ball Jars. More than that would be work ;)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Quantity is definitely a factor. I never harvest more than a pound at a time and process most of that for edibles. Means 3-4 ounces of bud gets cured at a time, easy enough in 1/2 gallon Ball Jars. More than that would be work ;)
I've gone the edible route but when I do eat (my)edibles, I do not require hourly updates of THC (vapes) for hours.. I like the 'head high' of the vapes more than the 'body high' of the edibles though.. and here in Florida, many have never even eaten dispensary 'edibles', let alone the stuff I make. I've gifted some to a few and like me a couple times before, have friends ready to get them to a hospital. At a party where I over ate, a partying ICU nurse, just knew I was having a heart attack. The high, the first time is very different, as you must know. We (Florida MMJ) only have crap oil and dry but it isnt anywhere near 15% THC maybe 10%. I can take a couple droppers full of their 1:9 ratio THC oil at night and still have to take NyQuil to sleep. Their ratio is 9parts THC infused oil and 1 part infused CBD oil but no idea how much cut that makes it liquid enough to vape. The oil is very vaguely described.and yes if one hits the 'pen' enough, you'll catcha buzz Its more (for me anyway) like a body high and I still go for my own grown floravapa:biggrin:.

Sorry, 1st vaping today:biggrin::tiphat:.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I can fit a lot more flower in the jars without stems. ;)

Mold is a sign your moisture is too high. Dry longer before jarring and you can pack it away for years without mold.

Latest posts

Latest posts