What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me setup my first grow room, thanks!

webwiller

Ladies & Gents: Start your engines!!!

Ladies & Gents: Start your engines!!!

Ok, ok, ok...you convinced me. It does make sense to start the "easy" way. I ended up with a 3x3x6 tent.

I decided to go with soil. A mix of peat, some guano, some worm castings and some liquid good bacterias, plus perlite and expanded clay with Canna fertilizers. I bought a half pint of rooting concentrate, 1/4 gallon of the Canna for Veg, the PK 13/14 and the bloom booster.

I Got:

• Tent: a Secret Jardin DR (Dark Room) tent 3x3x6 (90x90x185cm)
  • Lightning1: Cultilite 450w
  • 4x36w LED Bulbs with IR & UVB Leds too
  • Fan1: in-line fan 7770/2825 ft3/hr (220/280 m3/h)(capable of changing the whole cubic air of the tent in as little as 30 secs.
  • Fan2: Extractor 7770/2825 ft3/hr (220/280 m3/h)(Again, I went on the safe side with a fairly potent one)
  • Fan3: Ordinary oscillating fan
  • Filter: Carbon Filter "Can-Filters" 15009 ft3/hr (40% more potent than the extractor...don't remember where I read it works at its best this way)
  • 3 & 5 gal tissue-vases
  • PH, EC, TDS All-in-one portable meter with its liquids (useless for soil growth...newby for a reason WTF)
  • Termometer and hygrostat (for air...do I need to check soil temp too?!?!?!
  • Hygrostat & Timer Digital Sockets and a Digital Electricity Dimmer Socket
  • Peat Starter cubes
  • 5x White Rhino seeds
  • Last but not least....hired a farmer to do the job!!! LOOOL!!!:biggrin:

Oh hell, it's been a race against ignorance....but this is no time to judge yet, we'll see...

Listening to your advices I decided to go for soil-mix and standard growing of 1 strain only as ya said.

I received already loads of stuff but the tent...which is on its way hopefully! (to be honest I got so many orders in 3 days that I can't recall who's-what-when if I don't go through few tens of emails.

It'll come by tomorrow or so....(I hope...)

Now...I received seeds, I got the starter cubes, tomorrow or in 2 days max I'll receive the soils and root booster. Do you believe I could/should start germinating?

How long would the seedlings stay in the germ-cubes? I germinate 'em with 8hr deionized water immersion, followed by human-food-grade scottex paper roll (napkins alike) in the dark obv and as soon as seeds say hallo I moved them in the peat-cubes.

If I receive the tent late, is it ok to let the seedlings start up on my sunny balcony? Or inside, on top of a shelf? Surely I mind cleaning and sterilizing every place, thingy, whatever gets close to my seedlings.

What I'm asking is: Pros & Cons of starting up tomorrow or waiting to receive and setup everything and do it all inside their tent with all their kinky toys?? :laughing:

I also thought that having a slightly elevated kinda home made wheel-cart could be very useful to help me with keeping clean and tidy and rotating the plants easily and stress-free (for 'em 'n for me!), what you think of it?

If you're positive...I have to say I'm a total dumb math-wise so I ask you for a little help here. We have a square 3x3 feet. A 3x3 cart will never turn around on its wheels in that space, obvious, the diagonal is our real reference, correct? I can increase width/length rounding the 4 corners...but I really tried. No way, I can't come up with the best width/length and how much is better to cut and round the diagonals. I can't calculate the best rapport size:diagonal round cuts, considering that rounding the corners will inevitably forse me to sit the vases closer to each other, cause they don't have the corner to sustain them so they have to come more central.

If any of you is so so kind and capable to calculate the best compromise I'll THANK-YOU, indeed. I can build it, but I need the project. I tried the math and without considering rounding the corners I came up with a 2x2 platform, any bigger won't fit the diagonal. 2x2 sounds far too small, therefore rounding is necessary, but How much will be best is above my capabilities. If I had the saw at home I could buy a larger base and cut it bit by bit till best result, but I have to buy the wooden base already cutted so that I have only to put it on 4 wheels.

Co2

I know...it's my first time...I should go the easy way...but it seems to me I'm doing my best to create the very best environment for my ladies. I feel everything is taken care of: Lightning, ventilation, odour-control, PH, EC, TDS, RH, T, ... all but Co2.

This Co2 thing troubles me a bit. It'd be 120$ for the pro Co2-kit
IT'd be the 10% of what I already put in this project. All this considered...would it be good value for money in your opinion? With or without Co2, what difference could it make in terms of crop >%?
If it'd be 10% more I'm even. If <10% I better leave it and if it'd be >+10% it'd be worthy.

Strain & Plantation

White Rhino is not the smallest strain and said that I have no clue how many plants should I grow. 2? 3? 4?

When you thought the correct number (if there's one), how many seeds would you germinate to start with? I mean...1+ seed could not germinate, 1+ seedling could die or have big problems resulting in little to no crop. Considered I wanna avoid these and considered that in case everything runs just fine I have the possibility to move 1, 2 plants in an outdoor guerrilla...how many seeds would you put into germination?

I studied some...and I'm aware I'd have to do one/more FIMming and Bending, but I would stay put with LST. I will install a net as a timid approach to ScrOG...with the intent of flying low, but as a parachute if the girls start craving height. Your thoughts on this?

Clarified this all, next time we'll move onto pests & parasites...mhm...yummy!:yummy:

To conclude I'd say sorry for being a bit absent these days, I chose to study a bit first. I was so much in the dark that I didn't even know what to ask!!! Now I did too much I know...but this is how I am, if I have a goal I put 110% in it or the most I can anyway!

Thank y'all in advance only for reading till the end!!!
Let's touch wood! :wave:

peng

Just because you buy the best and most expensive football shoes and read 3 or 4 books about football, doesn't mean that you will 1) know how to actually play it in the field and 2) be good at it.

My approach would be to set-up the tent, make it run without plants, see if T°, H%, air flow, noise, everything is right. At the same time you could start to germinate the seeds.

Excel and paper writing/calculations can withstand almost anything... reality is another thing.
Best of luck :)

webwiller

Just because you buy the best and most expensive football shoes and read 3 or 4 books about football, doesn't mean that you will 1) know how to actually play it in the field and 2) be good at it.

My approach would be to set-up the tent, make it run without plants, see if T°, H%, air flow, noise, everything is right. At the same time you could start to germinate the seeds.

Excel and paper writing/calculations can withstand almost anything... reality is another thing.
Best of luck :)

Oh sure! You're damn right! I do have some general gardening skills but I'm still a 1st grade kid. Yeah, maybe I go to a private school with clean toilets (and toilet paper in 'em!) and I might have a fancy dress but hellyeahz, I remain a 1st grader.

Did I sound like showing off?! In this case I really did not mean to.:bow:

I take this opportunity to ask everyone an opinion. I thought I decided to go White Rhino. Well, not quiet.

I mean, I'm looking for a low-odour strain. I really want to check myself the odour control efficiency before going for the more skunky strains.

Searching and researching I found an article which mentioned a handful of low odour strains and White Rhino was amongst them. Ordered, received, chosen.

Neeee. Not so easy buddy. Before the start-up I dug up more on the chosen strain and...surprise! I find a different article badly warning for the greatly smelly White Rhino! The heck! Ok, everything is opinable. But with 100ks of strains there shouldn't be confusion between the 5 most smelly and the 5 least ones!

I know it's no perfect science but hey, from n.3 of the lowest, to n.2 of the highest the gap is more like the Amazon River than the canal down the block! (for info, Amazon River has an average width of only 16mi. Dow to 7 in the dry season and up to 29 miles! Width, yes...pretty impressive, right?!).

I wanna ask, I got Bluematic (Blue Mystic x Ruderalis) which is fast (at least I got max 4 weeks to worry about) and supposedly should be low odour.In your experience (if you know it), how smelly is it this Auto version of Blue Mystic?

Thanks for the good luck, I'll need as much as i can rake!!!

Ciao folks! :dance013:

peng

Oh sure! You're damn right! I do have some general gardening skills but I'm still a 1st grade kid. Yeah, maybe I go to a private school with clean toilets (and toilet paper in 'em!) and I might have a fancy dress but hellyeahz, I remain a 1st grader.

Did I sound like showing off?! In this case I really did not mean to.:bow:

I take this opportunity to ask everyone an opinion. I thought I decided to go White Rhino. Well, not quiet.

I mean, I'm looking for a low-odour strain. I really want to check myself the odour control efficiency before going for the more skunky strains.

Searching and researching I found an article which mentioned a handful of low odour strains and White Rhino was amongst them. Ordered, received, chosen.

Neeee. Not so easy buddy. Before the start-up I dug up more on the chosen strain and...surprise! I find a different article badly warning for the greatly smelly White Rhino! The heck! Ok, everything is opinable. But with 100ks of strains there shouldn't be confusion between the 5 most smelly and the 5 least ones!

I know it's no perfect science but hey, from n.3 of the lowest, to n.2 of the highest the gap is more like the Amazon River than the canal down the block! (for info, Amazon River has an average width of only 16mi. Dow to 7 in the dry season and up to 29 miles! Width, yes...pretty impressive, right?!).

I wanna ask, I got Bluematic (Blue Mystic x Ruderalis) which is fast (at least I got max 4 weeks to worry about) and supposedly should be low odour.In your experience (if you know it), how smelly is it this Auto version of Blue Mystic?

Thanks for the good luck, I'll need as much as i can rake!!!

Ciao folks! :dance013:

hello brother, i'm sorry if i sounded like a tool; i didn't mean to.

the only point i was trying to make is that things that do not show on paper or preparations are extremely important. And the only way to see them is by actually running the tent and doing the things. Preparation is good but flexibleness is better. (is that a word? i'm not english native). i wasn't reffering to anything money-related :)

Just as a sorry example, i have two exhaust fans and one timer without use because of overcalculation of my own situation. i'm also sitting with too many plants in my small tent, i will have to kill the smaller ones, meaning that seed and soil and time was wasted.
i could have used that for some rib dinner.

About the odour i have no clue on varieties, but surely you would like a carbon filter, and expect to have at least some kind of odour. I'm not sure if odour and potency/quality are closely related, maybe 20 years ago i would have said so. Now, i'm not so sure.

Best of luck! :)

Greenthumber

You’re going to have a tough time with smell regardless of the strain or set up it will always be lingering in the air atleast at a small level for sure! It’s a bit easier to key in on a mute most of the smell when running a completely sealed room but still hard even then. The what if questions will only be answered when that time comes during the cycle you’re running. You can have 3 different people with the same exact setups same exact strains and come out with 3 completely different outcomes

webwiller

Weak stems, seedlings struggling...

Weak stems, seedlings struggling...

Fantastic, thank y'all! I begin to understand that I have no clue about nothing. I'll try to go step-by-step and see how it goes, accepting that errors are budgeted for.

This is the situation now: :shucks:

Vjp7Fr4

These 2 girls have germinated on the 15/16th June. They germinated soaked in water for 8hrs, than when germ was visible moved into soil, then I left them inside the germination-box (a plastic box with see-through plastic top) till they wanted to grow taller. I moved the top to let some air in for 24hrs, than I removed it completely.

As per instructions I watered them with Plagron SeedBooster and water 1:1, keeping ph 6-6.5 andthe solution have 170ppm.

With these 2 everything was perfectly fine, they were growing nice and healthy until I woke up yesterday and the first and biggest lied down on its stem, as if it was too weak to hold the weight of the growing foliage.

These other 2:

fG8r27L

They were born 18/19 June and they were fine for the first days, growing tall quickly but yet even more visible, with thinner and weaker stems.

What could be the reasons and how can I approach this mess in the best way?

Also....how tall should they be that I know it's time to move them in bigger pots?

Thanks in advance for your help!

webwiller

Sorry...I did something wrong uploading the pics. here they are:

Royal-Blue-Matic-Lied-Down.png

And this was supposed to be the 2nd:

Quick-One-weak.png

Environment:

Temp: Around 84°-86°F
RH: Around 50%

I thought many things...light too far, too little fertilizer, too hot...but I have no clue which is the more likely to be...HELP! :thank you:

Attachments

• images (11)
    images (11)
    8.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Quick_One_weak.jpg
    Quick_One_weak.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 25
P

pongster

Also....how tall should they be that I know it's time to move them in bigger pots?

Thanks in advance for your help!

transplant now now now. bury the white stem and steadfast the plant with humid soil. that container is very short.

best regards, glad you are running finally!

webwiller

transplant now now now. bury the white stem and steadfast the plant with humid soil. that container is very short.

Ops! You gave me a Job to do today that I did not have planned but, hei, will do! Thanks a lot!

(Yep! Up 'n running!:woohoo:)

unnamedmike

I totally agree, transplant now, that container is short. And give them some kind of support. They need more light too. Maybe more air flow ?

Best of luck !

webwiller

Hi folks!

As you suggested yesterday I trasplanted the girls in their final pots (5gal pots).

Here's the new st-up:

IMG-20190626-214006.jpg

I watered with a very lightly fertilized mix, as I did not want to add more stress.

I also increased the light to 450w (real) and moved the light closer to the canopy, at about 20 inches.

Temp raised to 90° and RH >65/70% which is not ideal, I know...but I have no friendship with God so he send us whatever he feels like. In a couple of weeks maybe less I'd have the A/C installed, at that point I'll have my word on temp and RH too.

TODAY'S ISSUE:

Today I prepared the mix for watering, back to the indicated levels of fertilizers. But as I finished watering I noticed that my best girl is curling a bit one leaf...and to be better safe than sorry here am I, asking you guys what it means, if and how I have to take care of it and whatever else you'd suggest.

Here's a couple of pics of what I mean by "curling its leaf":

IMG-20190628-122921.jpg

Super Macro of the same plant:

IMG-20190628-122909.jpg

As you can see for the time being one leaf only is affected.

Hope to hear from you soooon! Ciao!

:thank you:

unnamedmike

Hi webwiller :tiphat: 90º is high, turn low your LED power for less heat and lower the lamp as much as possible for cover the canopy. When the temperature rises they are transpiring more because of the heat, they need less food. But she look near to perfect mate, dont worry about.

webwiller

Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi webwiller :tiphat: 90º is high, turn low your LED power for less heat and lower the lamp as much as possible for cover the canopy. When the temperature rises they are transpiring more because of the heat, they need less food. But she look near to perfect mate, dont worry about.

Thanks mate!

I watered them without fertilizers yesterday and today, I don't have a dimmer for the leds (and I'm curious if leds are fine if dimmed electrically or Electric variations could/would somehow riun 'em or shorten their life...).

In doubt I opted to go back to 35 inches above canopy and yesterday and today temp dropped round 86° and RH down to 47/50%. The leafs are still curled but the plants don't look like suffering.

I check Temp/RH both inside the grow tent and in the room as well as in the other rooms and temp/RH are exactly the same, therefore I believe LEDs aren't guilty of warming up the tent...not even a 0.5°. This made me choose for a couple of days of "weaker" sun light and light water (PH 5,8-6,2 and 200ppm).

Thanks for reassuring me anyway, most times is just right what I need! ;)

:tiphat:

webwiller

General question re: Autos = Growth path

General question re: Autos = Growth path

Hi all,

I decided to go with an Auto strain supposed to take 7-8 weeks from seed to harvest.

Thinking about this and considering that my girls germinated between the 15th and th 18th. It's nearly 2 weeks and these are still babies who eat from the bottle...

In general terms, how are autos strains supposed to grow?

I mean...in 10 days something more they grew 3 inches ...when would they begin vegetating "big"?

I read that between veg and bloom they grow 100% their actual size...but I have no clue about how should I expect 'em to behave between germ-seedling and veg. Without any reference I'm always doubting myself, thinking they stay small cause of something wrong I'm doin'...

:thank you:

webwiller

Thanks! But let's wait before partying.. I feel like walking on quicksand... LOL!

:tiphat: