What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn. Finally really happened. I'm old.

X

xavier7995

I actually yelled at kids to get off my lawn the other day. Laughed my ass off after.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EXACTLY my experience: some days, I’m full of energy and work hard the whole day through......other days, I make it through coffee, and go back to bed.
Oh so true to my reality. Nice thing though, growing and enjoying the plant....the other stuff is like...don't sweat the small stuff. ;o)

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
The indicator to me is that I really don't get the popularity of the most popular entertainment. I think Game of Thrones sucks bad and Avengers:Endgame is just stupid and silly. And I really dislike "reality" TV. It's not.

For movies I prefer actual acting. Stories about life.

One of the biggest arguments against recreational drug use was their use for escapism and not dealing with reality. Well isn't the popularity of fantasy more like that?

While I'm on my bitching soapbox, I have never understood energy drinks. SO hypocritical. How can they malign weed, a beneficial plant, while approving legalized speed that has definite health problems?

Yup, I'm finally that old fuck I used to laugh at.

With all due respect, sir.. I disagree with not getting or disliking popular stuff being an indicator that you're getting old. For me a good indicator of getting old is something like dislocating a shoulder when you're just trying to get out of bed, or when you start losing hair on your head and at the same time start growing hair on your back, ears, nose and pretty much everywhere you're not supposed to.. Well, at least not according to modern day standards on looks and thing. Or when you need a magnifying glass to read the fine print on a box of cereal and stuff like that.

You can be old and not like or get popular stuff, but you don't have to. I was something like 12 years old when I heard hair metal for the first time in the 80's, didn't get it, didn't like it, but it was popular. Some might say a 12 year old is too young to get stuff like Mötley Crue.. And yea, ok, I can see that happening in some cases. Like blue cheese, didn't like it when I was a kid, these days I'm cool with blue cheese. But 25-30 years later Mötley Crue still sounds like someone is taking a shit in my ear.

In the 90's as a young man I didn't get the popularity of Spice Girls, fanny packs, Riverdance, big fake bowling ball looking silicone tits and stuff like that.

Around the year 2000 Will Smith and Jennifer Lopez were popular as shit, both are attractive people. Will Smith is a charismatic dude and Jennifer has a big round butt as an added bonus, and they're both decent actors from what I've seen. But they were hugely popular and everywhere when it comes to entertainment. Will Smith made his happy rap stuff and danced in his videos. Jennifer Lopez did mediocre dance pop stuff and danced wackish in her music vids, both sucked ass, but people loved that crap. I didn't see the appeal those things supposedly had.

So you don't like Game of Thrones, fine, it's not for everyone.
Haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, but I know they are superhero action flicks based on comic books, so if you go see a movie like that and expect it to be like 'Casablanca' or sumtin..
Yea, most likely you're in for a disappointment.

Then there's stuff like reality TV, which is absolute crap. Lowest form of entertainment if you ask me. I used to think stuff like Jerry Springer with episodes like "My 12 year old daughter is outta control, pregnant, running with gangs and doing drugs" was the lowest you can go. But this reality tv shit makes Jerry look pretty good.

Which bring me to my final point in not getting stuff or disliking popular whatever. Sometimes the majority of people are the ones who don't get it and the few dudes who think they don't get it actually do.. Because sometimes shit is just shit, and there's nothing else to it. So yea, you might be getting old. Or maybe some stuff is just crap.... Maybe a bit of both. :tiphat:

M

moose eater

When you lecture the telephone scammers, asking them if their mother knows what they do for a living.

And the first 75-120 steps each day are stiff-legged, 'cause the knees simply won't bend without making noises that wake the dogs.

And you master the phrase, "Hey, can you get that for me?"

Or carrying a quarter of the load once carried results in relatively extreme fatigue.

Or cutting coupons is considered a responsible use of time.

And 21-year old chicks look like 8th-graders, thus forfeiting their sex-appeal.

And yes, reality television sucks big time, and is probably solid evidence that we've finally completed our swim upstream as a species.

ronbo51

Veteran
Go to a clinic that specializes in hormone replacement therapy. Pay 100$ or so to get your blood drawn and get a followup a week later to review your results. Listen to the doctor explain how hormones run your organs, your brain, and how lack of hormonal balance ruins your life. Get your levels up to a healthy 25 year old and your life will immediately change for the better in every way. Guaranteed.
Bonus tip: If you have a wife or partner get them to go also.

Emotional maturity, it really changes a person with age if they develop properly that is.. Some people through an through will never grow up..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like GOT but the rest is right on mostly. Having two petite girls/women kill the main monsters in last episode was kinda iffy but this is 2919 so you gotta expect stuff like that from the 'woke' writers.

Was gonna get the 'old man yells at clouds' pic but that is covered.

When I smoke C99 or similar I sure do not feel so old.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I'm late 50's, best shape of my life from walking 15+ miles a day (barring the almost imperceptible Parkinson's) & have a calmness and perspective I'd never have appreciated as a angry young man. My psych problems almost under control, family good. Life as an older man gets better for me.

dddaver

Veteran
I want thank everybody for all the karma and responses. I thought that yelling at kids one was hilarious. But you must understand. Pretty much everything I say or do is tongue in cheek. I am a terrible cynic. My pain is the real indicator to me my bod is getting old. Screw that other shit.

The only other thing I wanted to add is about a post a while back where a guy said his balls wouldn't droop because he always wears tighty whiteys. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

We used to have this Jack Russel who was a real bitch. Would never listen, shit anywhere and whenever she wanted. Always did things she knew was wrong, but did them anyway. One morning, I get up in the dark and go in the kitchen to make coffee. I always have liked getting up way early. Even as a kid. So that morning I step in the kitchen barefoot into a pile of dogshit, and slide, falling on my ass. Later, I was relaying that story to my Dad saying, "You just haven't lived until you step in a pile of dogshit, barefoot, first thing in the morning, slide and fall on your ass. His response was, "No, you just haven't lived until you sit on the toilet and your balls dip in the water.". Thing here is, my Dad wore tighty whiteys his whole life.

So, that's a true story. But again, tongue in cheek. Your mileage may vary.

F

Fermented

Go to a clinic that specializes in hormone replacement therapy. Pay 100$ or so to get your blood drawn and get a followup a week later to review your results. Listen to the doctor explain how hormones run your organs, your brain, and how lack of hormonal balance ruins your life. Get your levels up to a healthy 25 year old and your life will immediately change for the better in every way. Guaranteed.

Go to a clinic that specializes in hormone replacement therapy and of course they will recommend testosterone for you....it's a business and that's how they pay the rent, advertising and their Porsche payments.

The alternative to a "magic" pill or needle is daily light exercise, fresh unprocessed food, sunshine, keeping slim, exercising your brain, lowering stress etc etc and slowly but surely life will be a good as it can be.

here's some facts from doctors who are not pushing testosterone
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/testosterone-replacement-a-cautionary-tale

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...th/in-depth/testosterone-therapy/art-20045728

https://www.webmd.com/men/news/20080618/hormone-replacement-for-men-pros-cons#3

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It is impossible to eat healthy today. Forget processed and packaged foods. I'm talking fresh fruits and vegetables. Garbage. Poison. It's too bad but, our bodies adapt over eons.

Look up Fludioxonil (might be spelled incorrectly). It is what they soak our fresh fruits and veggies in to ship them around the world. Many apples on your grocers shelves were picked as long as 4 months ago. Many commercial farmers don't rotate crops any more. They plant what makes money. Some years, corn. Other years it's soy. If soy is more profitable for 5 years in a row, that's what he grows. The result? Minerals are depleted from the soil and our spinach and broccoli are missing many of the important trace minerals that they should have developed, and didn't. Trace minerals are very important because they assist in the processing of the more prominent vitamins.

Milk??? OMG!!! I call it 'cow water'. If you think your body is making use of the bullshit artificial vitamins the put in the milk, you are sorely mistaken. Sure, it's getting some. And, your mileage may vary from the guy next to you.

Fruit? I typically eat 4 or 5 pieces of fruit per day. Maybe my taste buds are changing as I get old but most of the fresh fruit tastes like a penny candy. Everything is so sweet. I had a Granny Smith apple last night that was so dry. And, it tasted like a Sweet Tart candy. Horrible.

I buy fresh wheat and grind my own wheat to make my own flour to make my own bread. And, it's still garbage, GMO wheat, I'm sure. Even though it carries the "USDA Organic" seal. What a bunch of horse shit.

Don't get me wrong. I work out and eat really well but that comes after a lifetime of alcoholism and eating pizza and sub sandwiches at 3:00 AM after the bars close.... for most of my life. So, I do it more as a hobby than something that's really helping my health. It's too late for me. Still, it's fun.

Sadly, it's a global market today and as that works awesome for electronics and cars, it's not so great for food.

Apples are not apples any more. At least, not like I remember them in the woods when I was a kid. Apples were 'in season' like everything else fresh that we ate. Like I said, many apples on your grocer's shelves are many months old. They were fed enzymes and magic dust all their lives. The poisons are designed to be undetectable at the times of inspection.

It's sad.

However, the other side of the coin is that if we didn't do all this shit, there probably wouldn't be enough food to go around. Yin and Yang, I suppose.

If I could give one single piece of advice to young people regarding health...... drink water. Good water.

Many of my problems today come from dehydration after a lifetime of alcoholism and tobacco abuse. Dried out all my stuff inside. At the gym, my muscles can still lift pretty heavy weights but my tendons have all snapped from dehydration. And, all the discs are gone in my back. And, the meniscus and other cartilage in my knees is all dried up and broken (or gone). Those things are now my limiting factors for fitness. It sucks.

So, drink plenty of water every day.

Peace.

dddaver

Veteran
AND ANOTHER THING!!!! (picture an old man bent over his cane shaking his fist :biggrin:). It's like some foods. If I like it, it gets canceled. Life in Pieces, The Kids Are Alright, Murphy Brown, Madam Sectary, and sometimes Separating Together (or whatever it's called). Drat and confound it all, (SHAKING FIST)

M

moose eater

When I was a kid, we ate cold, day-old oatmeal, with dead flies in it, in place of raisins. No sugar!! Only rusty discarded nails and mud puddle water added, to give texture and moisten it a bit!!! And we LIKED it!!!

;^>)

ronbo51

Veteran

Go to a clinic that specializes in hormone replacement therapy and of course they will recommend testosterone for you....it's a business and that's how they pay the rent, advertising and their Porsche payments.

The alternative to a "magic" pill or needle is daily light exercise, fresh unprocessed food, sunshine, keeping slim, exercising your brain, lowering stress etc etc and slowly but surely life will be a good as it can be.

here's some facts from doctors who are not pushing testosterone
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/testosterone-replacement-a-cautionary-tale

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...th/in-depth/testosterone-therapy/art-20045728

https://www.webmd.com/men/news/20080618/hormone-replacement-for-men-pros-cons#3

I read your links and the first thing I saw was that men who did not take HRT died younger. There are no down side effects observable. Maybe they will discover some downside but none now. Compare that to even simple over the counter medications with pages of side effects. Just read about it.

My personal experience is nothing but positive. I have lost 25 pounds doing nothing special other than cutting all sugar and hfcs from my diet. My body fat has been cut by 1/3. I have more energy and have been on a productive tear. I have my psa and other blood work done every 6 weeks to monitor my levels. Folks have NO FUCKING IDEA how important hormones are to the daily function of their brain and organs and how much more effective your body works when your hormones are in balance.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
realized a few years back that time had caught up with me. was headed fishing with big brother, cruising a back road burning one when two stupid kids passed us on a blind curve fucking flying! looked at him and said "remember those slow old bastards that wouldn't go on, and wouldn't pull over? that's US...":biggrin:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There was me sitting in some sound booth at the ear/nose and throat clinic in Kingston Hospital - with a switch I could operate with my thumb in my hand - and like some eager suicide bomber I pressed the button every time I heard a strange sound thru the headphones Mr Kamal the ear doctor was conjuring up on the other side of the soundproof room - thru a little window - Anyway to cut a long story short - I'm part deaf - and they recommended a HEARING AID!

*makes me think of old/deaf guys in years gone past with 'earhorns' - but I was assured that modern hearing aids are no-where near as obtrusive.

- must be getting old.