What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Basic Cannabis Library: Recommendations?

White Beard

<Mods: this may not be the best sub for the thread, so feel free to relocate it>

Given all that’s happened in the world of cannabis, and growing cannabis in particular, it seems to me we’ve outgrown our ancient copies of early works by Frank, Rosenthal, Cervantes; these books may have been fine 40-50 years ago, but IMO they no longer serve the purpose of up-to-date references on technology, cultivation methods, diseases....

Amazon has tons of books on the topic, some of them updates of ancient texts and others that delve into specific topics. I’d like to know what books active growers are finding valuable, which books they recommend, which ones they *will not* loan out anymore, which books they’re adding to their research shelves.

If you have favorites, or *a* favorite, tell us about it, tell us why it or they are valuable to you - and while you’re at it, tell us what book(s) you think are crap, and why.

IC is a terrific set of resources, but if we can put together a basic shelf of books for aspiring growers and breeders to study and digest, we, and Our Favorite Plant, will be the better for it.

I’ll start off with RC Clarke’s Marijuana Botany. I don’t know of another book that addresses the topic at all, I consider it indispensable...though it’ll take more readings for me to get all the meat.

:tiphat:

thailer

theres another forum that has a library of books and pdfs for download. it has Clarke's book, plus too much more to list. most of it is the main books for organic growers that are always talked about like one straw revolution, teaming with microbes and nutrients, the aloe book, the neem book.....and theres pdfs, articles and all sorts organized by topic with like 200 links. theres been a couple times i've wanted to link to it here where i mainly talk. i'm not sure how to share a pdf file from my computer tho.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ill PM you both a link in a few minutes with a bunch of books I found to read/download free, and a list of the ones Ive downloaded.

theres another forum that has a library of books and pdfs for download. it has Clarke's book, plus too much more to list. most of it is the main books for organic growers that are always talked about like one straw revolution, teaming with microbes and nutrients, the aloe book, the neem book.....and theres pdfs, articles and all sorts organized by topic with like 200 links. theres been a couple times i've wanted to link to it here where i mainly talk. i'm not sure how to share a pdf file from my computer tho.

Ill PM you both a link in a few minutes with a bunch of books I found to read/download free, and a list of the ones Ive downloaded.

If possible, please send me a link too.
I got lack of reading material on the herb

White Beard

The books I have are vastly out-of-date: photocopies of Frank and Rosenthal, and The Cultivators’ Guide to Marijuana - all from the 70s.

I also have the latest from Cervantes, who gets big bashing from our bros here.

Those are the only books on cultivation I have; my historical research library disappeared over the decades (so I don’t even show *anyone* what I have left (mostly volumes on psychedelics)).

Looking forward to receiving the PM!

redlaser

Veteran
For the growing aspect I would look outside of cannabis specific books, a lot more available and comprehensive material for environment, soils, nutrition, pests, diseases.

White Beard

Most of what I’ve gleaned so far has not addressed cannabis at all...one of the reasons I asked about cannabis-specific books. The general knowledge is valuable and glad to have it, but there are still plenty of misunderstands about cannabis that had their origins back in the hippie days.

I’m currently working my way through The Cannabis Grow Bible, and so far, it’s extremely specific about details and it’s very well laid out, conceptually - at least for me. I wish it were better illustrated: for example, I wold *LOVE* to see the ripening and release of pollen documented visually, with the actual timeline (that may be a project I set for myself) - the same way one learns to cook by observing the transitional states and what they mean.

I’m sure I’ll have other comments as I go along, but so far glad to find this.

Fukuoka’s One-Straw is a classic, should be read by everyone with any interest in growing things.

Cannabis: Evolution and Ethnobotany by Clarke & Merlin

This is currently one of my favs.
Very detailed, with interesting research.

Not so much a 'how to grow' book, which some people may be looking for.
But this is deffo coffee table material.:tiphat:

White Beard

I have a lot of respect for Clarke’s work, but what I’ve seen of his “evolutionary” efforts remind me of 100-year-old attempts to conjure up a scientific rationale for racism.... I appreciate the recommendation, but it’ll be a while before I have brain cells available for that one.

I’ve been finding some of the links I’ve received to be unfriendly to my iDevices. Don’t know why, but many links show only the first page, numbered “1 of 1”. I’ll come back after I’ve tried it on the desktop.

White Beard

Okay, the desktop access works dependably, so iDevisors can collect on their computers and add the PDFs to Books (or whatever) via the cloud & have mobile access, persistent bookmarks, etc.

Go, team!

PS: click where it says “View”; it will put up a strip at the top that says ‘click here to downlod’....

chesirebonez

1605353531 :isbn

Plant Physiology and Development 6th edition

This is not cannabis specific, however, I think it has a lot of valuable information that can be applied to many situations and plants. There is also interesting peer-reviewed literature coming out left and right that might be more up to date and valuable currently, but the lack of information synthesis might make it more challenging to digest the results and discussion. I really am not sure on a specific cannabis related book that has come out in the last five years, but I have not been looking extra hard either.

I completely agree that it is time to update the meat and potatoes of our reference library. I will try to get back to you all with links to some cool papers that have come out the last couple years.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Marijuana Cultivation Reconsidered By Read Speares

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Disclaimer
Prologue and Dedication
Thanks and Acknowledgements
Introduction to the Second Edition: How to Use This Book

SECTION 1: BASIC PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
Cannabis Taxonomy
The Three Species of Psychoactive Marijuana
Let’s Relax: Pot Terminology
Anatomy of Flowers
Dioecy
Cannabis Inflorescences: Bract, Calyx, Stipule—What’s Going on Here?
Tissues of Plants
Roots and Plant Hydraulics
Photosynthesis
Auxin and the Tropisms
Cannabis Phyllotaxy
Trichomes
Light Response

SECTION 2: LET’S DO THIS ALREADY [SSBY]
The Grow Space
Equipment Lists for the Systems in this Book
Which Lamp?
CO₂ Sniffers
Soil Selection
Nutrient Selection
The Environmental Variables
Setting up the Grow Room
Hydroponics: Deep Water Culture Bucket System
Geoponics: Potting Your Plant in Soil
Introducing Duoponics
Other Techniques
Growing and Training
Sweeteners, Lore and Other Ideas
Plant Selection and Performance
Developing Protocols
Troubleshooting: What the Hell Just Happened?

SECTION 3: MORE DETAIL THAN YOU NEED
Basics of Mendelian Genetics
Practical Hobby Breeding
Soil Structure and Chemistry
Compost Teas: What We Know
Effectiveness of CO₂
Measuring Light
Quick Start Guide to Vegetative Propagation (Cloning)
More Troubleshooting: Nutrient Detail (includes nutrient toxicity flow chart)
Getting Into (or Staying Out of) the Business

Appendix I – Further Reading
Appendix II – Glossary
Appendix III – Useful Information
Appendix IV – Plant Processes
Appendix V – Quiz and Answers: Test Your Understanding of Marijuana Husbandry
Appendix VI – Cited Works

Started reading this one last night, expansion to the book Small Spaces, Big Yields.

White Beard

1605353531 :isbn

Plant Physiology and Development 6th edition

This is not cannabis specific, however, I think it has a lot of valuable information that can be applied to many situations and plants. There is also interesting peer-reviewed literature coming out left and right that might be more up to date and valuable currently, but the lack of information synthesis might make it more challenging to digest the results and discussion. I really am not sure on a specific cannabis related book that has come out in the last five years, but I have not been looking extra hard either.

I completely agree that it is time to update the meat and potatoes of our reference library. I will try to get back to you all with links to some cool papers that have come out the last couple years.
Definitely one to add to the shelf! Thank you!

Marijuana Cultivation Reconsidered By Read Speares

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Disclaimer
Prologue and Dedication
Thanks and Acknowledgements
Introduction to the Second Edition: How to Use This Book

SECTION 1: BASIC PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
Cannabis Taxonomy
The Three Species of Psychoactive Marijuana
Let’s Relax: Pot Terminology
Anatomy of Flowers
Dioecy
Cannabis Inflorescences: Bract, Calyx, Stipule—What’s Going on Here?
Tissues of Plants
Roots and Plant Hydraulics
Photosynthesis
Auxin and the Tropisms
Cannabis Phyllotaxy
Trichomes
Light Response

SECTION 2: LET’S DO THIS ALREADY [SSBY]
The Grow Space
Equipment Lists for the Systems in this Book
Which Lamp?
CO₂ Sniffers
Soil Selection
Nutrient Selection
The Environmental Variables
Setting up the Grow Room
Hydroponics: Deep Water Culture Bucket System
Geoponics: Potting Your Plant in Soil
Introducing Duoponics
Other Techniques
Growing and Training
Sweeteners, Lore and Other Ideas
Plant Selection and Performance
Developing Protocols
Troubleshooting: What the Hell Just Happened?

SECTION 3: MORE DETAIL THAN YOU NEED
Basics of Mendelian Genetics
Practical Hobby Breeding
Soil Structure and Chemistry
Compost Teas: What We Know
Effectiveness of CO₂
Measuring Light
Quick Start Guide to Vegetative Propagation (Cloning)
More Troubleshooting: Nutrient Detail (includes nutrient toxicity flow chart)
Getting Into (or Staying Out of) the Business

Appendix I – Further Reading
Appendix II – Glossary
Appendix III – Useful Information
Appendix IV – Plant Processes
Appendix V – Quiz and Answers: Test Your Understanding of Marijuana Husbandry
Appendix VI – Cited Works

Started reading this one last night, expansion to the book Small Spaces, Big Yields. This and the book Growing Elite Marijuana are some of the ones ive found recently and really liked.
NICE! Love the nod to Dr. Grinspoon in the title... Amazon has Growing Elite Marijuana, I’ll see if this new one is on tap there.

Appreciate the additions :tiphat:

UPDATE: Amazon *does* have MCR, but only in Kindle format; also, it turns out that Small Spaces, Big Yields is included in its entirety, so that’s nice, too.... thanks once again, IBeChillin!

UPDATE REDUX: I’ve seen reference to the Riley book...I confess, I was put off by the price and the self-centered boosterism of the ads I’ve seen. You are the king of quality links, so - if you can find the time - I hope you can give us a bit about why it’s so good, what holes it fills, and why it’s worth so much money: I’m not afraid to spend, but I can’t afford to do it blindly. Really would like your input on it! TIA! :wave:

G

A long time ago in a non-legal place I remember the day i walked into the hydro store and asked the guy for some guide or instructions, he looked at me lke an asshole then turned round and grabbed a copy of Ed Rosenthal Closet Cultivator. Fuck yes. Between that the forums and common sense not much else is needed for the basics. Genereal gardening aka non cannabis related aka growing your own plants and vegetables will teach you alot.

Miasa Mura

Hey White Beard!

Marijuana Botany is great, but definitely needs to be updated or revised to include more information that is now available.

The following titles are what I would imagine I would require students to get for the imaginary Cannabis course.

•Cannabis:Evolution & Ethnobotany (I know you mentioned reluctance to Robert C. Clarkes work, but I feel it is too quintessential to be passed over- you can always just pretend it was all written soley by the Co-author Mark Merlin:) )

•American Herbal Pharmacopoeia-Cannabis Inflorescence QC (Standards+science)((Updated Medical monograph in process))

•Cannabis Revealed - Bonni Goldstein,M.D.
(Medical cannabis therapies for ailments)

•Cannabis Encyclopedia - Jorge Cervantes
(Basic Cultivation and maintenance of cannabis gardens)

As far as recent research, both R.C.Clarke and J.M.McPartland on research gate have studies as recent as January & December of 2018. I found the ‘Cannabis Taxonomy: the “Sativa” vs “Indica” debate’ to be really insightful. I’ll provide a link to both of their profiles at research gate below.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Clarke12

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/John_Mcpartland

Best of luck on your quest for knowledge!

Last edited: