What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

60 DE Nanolux 600 Coco DTW setup/grow

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ hey -- so I have just jumped back in the saddle after being out for a few years. I built my own LED lamps using Samsung LED boards, and I am starting to think that the intensity is just too high for my plants. They are at about 4 weeks from seed and they just are not as perky as I feel they should be.

I also did what 40Amps did in regards to prepping his coco. Ran super hot water through it until runoff was clear. I tried charging it myself with a low dose of nutes, but I am guessing I might have screwed up. I also was watering too much at the beginning in my solo cups, did not really give the seedlings time to spread their roots in search of water.

Seriously thanks to everyone posting in this thread. I have been getting a little discouraged and honestly coming back and checking in on everyone's comments on this one is giving me hope.

**edit - went to the local shop and ordered a bunch of the charged coco bags. I have always rehydrated cheap bricks of coco, which normally worked for me. Eric - do you do anything to treat the coco or just use it straight out of the bag?**

aod

He does nothing to his. This is why I am apt to blame the medium. I am following some advice I read in a post by absolem citing a essay detailing cation and why you would want to charge with different precharged nutes depending on variety and type of plant. In short cal and mg for mj. 100 cal nit and 60 mg. By filling cation sites with those it keeps things in balance where if you used full spectrum nutes it can release n p and k later in veg or flower causing issues and not enough mg initially. That is it in a nutshell from a very long published paper.

I am set on a lack of mg because of improperly buffed coco causing a little deficiency in veg. The raised leaf edges and yellowing or necrosis between green veins is just textbook in my memory for mg def. Also noting mg plays large roll in transportation of water it explains the droopy look of some plants. Just my reasoning and logic. We will see how it plays out though. One of us will figure this out.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Eric are you using the brown or green bags of mother earth coco =) ?

Also I bought canna coco bricks to try because I think roots organic coco block retain way too much water for vegging...huge difference and I don't think I will buy a different brand again. Way more airy. I used to use canna in the bag when my coco grows were off the chain.

Planting some test clones tomorrow morning in the canna coco precharged as I said will feed Ibechillins on half and megacrops new mix as soon as it arrives. I think megacrop will be the ticket for vegging right now if my theory turns out to be incorrect.

MG helped at 2.5 g per 5 gallons. I would only do 1.5 next time though like 30 ppms no more than 40. 60 gave the tiniest tip burn on some, but new growth is great.

eric2028

Veteran
Eric are you using the brown or green bags of mother earth coco =) ?

Also I bought canna coco bricks to try because I think roots organic coco block retain way too much water for vegging...huge difference and I don't think I will buy a different brand again. Way more airy. I used to use canna in the bag when my coco grows were off the chain.

Planting some test clones tomorrow morning in the canna coco precharged as I said will feed Ibechillins on half and megacrops new mix as soon as it arrives. I think megacrop will be the ticket for vegging right now if my theory turns out to be incorrect.

MG helped at 2.5 g per 5 gallons. I would only do 1.5 next time though like 30 ppms no more than 40. 60 gave the tiniest tip burn on some, but new growth is great.

I use the brown and white bags.
After getting some advice I started adding .25 gram/gallon of mkp in veg. I also turned the lights down for a couple days. Plants seem to be greening up nicely. I ll snap some pics this weekend.

madalasatori

Veteran
I run gavitas and cmh together and I get the yellow leaf thing if I give them too much light too soon.

I actually get better results in early veg with the lights a bit dimmer and further away the I slowly turn the gavitas up.

I think going under big lights requires an increase in feed particularly calmag

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the brown and white bags.
After getting some advice I started adding .25 gram/gallon of mkp in veg. I also turned the lights down for a couple days. Plants seem to be greening up nicely. I ll snap some pics this weekend.

Hmm interesting. Nothing else is working too well in veg so I try this out.

Curious what do you use to control fungus gnats? I like using beneficial but always looking for cheaper. I remember getting them real bad in a block of cocotek.

eric2028

Veteran

Curious what do you use to control fungus gnats? I like using beneficial but always looking for cheaper. I remember getting them real bad in a block of cocotek.
I use microbe lift which is liquid bti. I’ve been slacking alittle tho and found some gnats in bloom. It works better as a preventative in my experience. I’d like to also hear how others treat them.

Here’s a pic just before week 3 in bloom. Got this room dialed in a bit more. Although I ran 1400 ppm of co2 and plants got carried away. I may have to lower it to 900 next time during stretch or veg a week less

picture.php

Earlmarne

I use microbe lift which is liquid bti. I’ve been slacking alittle tho and found some gnats in bloom. It works better as a preventative in my experience. I’d like to also hear how others treat them.

Here’s a pic just before week 3 in bloom. Got this room dialed in a bit more. Although I ran 1400 ppm of co2 and plants got carried away. I may have to lower it to 900 next time during stretch or veg a week less

View Image

What ppms after stretch?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I use hydroguard at 1ml per gallon starting from day 1 and never have gnats just nice white roots. When I first started using it I was trying to make my tap water not smell lol. Stopped using it for a run and had gnats. Its expensive but it seems to solve the gnat problem in coco :tiphat:

Lookin awesome Eric. Kinda curious like the guy above how you run your co2 schedule. Also, do you have to do a lot of defoliation at certain times or have you found a sweet spot with your timing going into bloom? I’m trying to find that sweet spot, had to do way too much defol this last round due to overvegging because of room issues and not being able to flip when I thought I was going to be able to. Appreciate ya sharin!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Just wanted to let everyone know im still lurking/reading the thread haha. Been really busy lately and havent had free time for the forums, we have a good group of growers in this thread!

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eric2028 again."

Really rocking this one man. Checking in on this thread has been the first thing I do after getting the kiddo fed and in bed & finally have some me time. I am going to be transplanting about 45 10" plants from solo cups to 1 gallon containers with the pre-charged coco middle of next week, just waiting for them to come in at the hydro store. Really looking forward to seeing how jacks works out. It is so much easier just weighing this stuff out, a lot less messy as well.

Also hooked up an RO filter I bought about 8 years ago and never used haha. The municipal water has definitely changed in my area since the last time I was growing. That or I just really lost my touch a lot more than expected.

Keep it up brother man, things are looking amazing!

aod

watts

ohms
Veteran
Gnatrol WDG is a good option. They are usually sold in large packs but this guy sells smaller packs if you want to try it out: https://www.gnatrol.com/

These are my notes on it:
Gnatrol WDG (3-7 grams per gallon as a root drench depending how bad infestation is) Used to kill gnat larvae. Use 3 times per week (every 2 days), for one week, for a heavy infestation. Another method is to use 1 Tablespoon per gallon every 7 days for 3 weeks (3 total applications) for a heavy infestation. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon when watering in transplants. Use with non-chlorinated water.

Don't think it's good to use in a reservoir though, but i'm not completely sure on that, so keep that in mind.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just hooked up my ro hydrologic system. Same one E has; impressed. So quick and easy. Had to buy one fitting at Lowe's and put two screws in the wall. I doubt this will change much and question whether it is worth it or not since my city water is already 0 ppms, but we shall see. I am also happy to see the upgrades it has which are quite useful. I will definitely be grabbing the inline UV light.

Quick question about Ibechillins formula. The gypsum seems to settle on the bottom. This seems a little problematic when I hook up my reservoirs and blumats or manifold. Do I need to throw a pump in them to make the water circulate?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The gypsum is probably not ideal for reservoir tanks/mixing large batches. I did the math and using 1.2 grams of 10% calcium edta is the same.

Lyfespan

The gypsum is probably not ideal for reservoir tanks/mixing large batches. I did the math and using 1.2 grams of 10% calcium edta is the same.

no no no, either top dress with gypsum, or go chelated like you said. omg the nightmare mess i made with it in the rez FML:tiphat: look for chelated iron too it burns less.

eric2028

Veteran
What ppms after stretch?

Lookin awesome Eric. Kinda curious like the guy above how you run your co2 schedule. Also, do you have to do a lot of defoliation at certain times or have you found a sweet spot with your timing going into bloom? I’m trying to find that sweet spot, had to do way too much defol this last round due to overvegging because of room issues and not being able to flip when I thought I was going to be able to. Appreciate ya sharin!
Last run didn’t have my burner installed until week 3 of flower. I ran it around 1000 ppm for the last 6 weeks. The plants only double in size during stretch but had great buds and great yields.
This run it got 1300-1400 ppm from the start of bloom. Shits alittle outta control. And my room is getting alittle warmer then I’d like. I’m gonna rock with 900-1000 and see how that does from start to finish. Sorry I don’t have a definitive schedule guys.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eric2028 again."

Really rocking this one man. Checking in on this thread has been the first thing I do after getting the kiddo fed and in bed & finally have some me time. I am going to be transplanting about 45 10" plants from solo cups to 1 gallon containers with the pre-charged coco middle of next week, just waiting for them to come in at the hydro store. Really looking forward to seeing how jacks works out. It is so much easier just weighing this stuff out, a lot less messy as well.

Also hooked up an RO filter I bought about 8 years ago and never used haha. The municipal water has definitely changed in my area since the last time I was growing. That or I just really lost my touch a lot more than expected.

Keep it up brother man, things are looking amazing!

aod
Glad your liking the thread!!late summer/ early fall I ll be part of something far bigger and better with lots to share.

Just hooked up my ro hydrologic system. Same one E has; impressed. So quick and easy. Had to buy one fitting at Lowe's and put two screws in the wall. I doubt this will change much and question whether it is worth it or not since my city water is already 0 ppms, but we shall see. I am also happy to see the upgrades it has which are quite useful. I will definitely be grabbing the inline UV light.

Quick question about Ibechillins formula. The gypsum seems to settle on the bottom. This seems a little problematic when I hook up my reservoirs and blumats or manifold. Do I need to throw a pump in them to make the water circulate?
I’m loving mine too. At least with the ro you know for a fact it’s not your water. Sometimes you have to know what’s right for sure before you can figure out the problem.
For defoliation I’m nailing them around day 21 and again day 42. Pulling most large fans and anything blocking light or airflow.
Use caution until you know how your strain responds.
Thanks for all suggestions for gnats. I’m thinking about the gnatrol. I’ve used it occasionally in the past but not consistent enough. I won’t dare put that in my rez, I’ll get a barrel or tote with a pump and wand. I hate gnats!!!
A couple pics after busting out the trimmers. Flat topped em!!
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: