What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1969 Mekong Delta strain

blastfrompast

Veteran
8 hours at -23'C....OKEY DOKEY then...

I would say keep smoking what your smoking, I wouldn't even bother posting here cause your gear is light years ahead of the best stuff on here I guess..

T

tazz11

we are more interested in how the plant got this way and what traits dose it have hidden ..I fully agree with you .that's why quarantine this strain ....I have other strains and to honest with you I have almost destroyed this strain twice so far because it has taken me a lot of hard work to get to this point . if one strain can destroy all that hard work I want to know more about it as soon as can .... but as you see soon it will be at 4 months in veg ..., here something we just found out . I had these plants in 12/12 for 2 weeks and they just started to show a little sign of sex . we put them back in veg and the sex vanished .. you ever see that before ...? I look these plants over with a magnifying glass for over a hours none of them show gender now ... I don't no where it went but its gone ...I am almost afraid to leave this strain in my grow ,male or female ...dude they don't need a heater like the other strains do ...they don't care ...when they showed gender there was 2 males and 4 females . if I check them again and they are different gender there dead right there .,...

Last edited:

t99

Veteran
Prove every one wrong, enter buds into the ICM 420 cup 2016. Your cut still won't be released, you'll get some data, and you'll change the world. Good luck!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
here are some pictures you ask me about ..

here are few more

if your going to ask a question get the details correct first . I left one out at 25 degrees and it came back after watering it . so I took one and put it out side for 8 hours at -10 below zero , a week latter it was still standing up so I water it and it started to make new sprouts at the nodes ...still is growing ...this strain can take cold temps ...we don't know why ...

whatever u are doing to this strain its super un-healthy right now..it looks like shit to be honest

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I agree they went threw 3 weeks of cold temps between 48 degree / 60 degrees . I am shock their still alive ..

ah ok that explains that then..in 2013 my delahaze went thur 2 nights of back to back hard frosts that come early oct. the plants was almost done so i left them to see how they reacted and it seemed like they produced more trichs after that for some odd reason..gl on the grow

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I agree they went threw 3 weeks of cold temps between 48 degree / 60 degrees . I am shock their still alive ..

I forget what you said previously.. did you leave it out there in the cold on purpose?

T

tazz11

ah ok that explains that then..in 2013 my delahaze went thur 2 nights of back to back hard frosts that come early oct. the plants was almost done so i left them to see how they reacted and it seemed like they produced more trichs after that for some odd reason..gl on the grow

yes that delahaze strain looks very close to the Abducted strain base its more sativa traits but very interesting ...and you gave me a good idea . the cold temps could be making the strain react this way .. I am going to force flowering ...in Scog and see what happens . I hope my Abducted strain turns out as nice as that delahaze dose ..Noreason's delahaze looks amazing...

T

tazz11

I forget what you said previously.. did you leave it out there in the cold on purpose?

all 6 were tested to cold temps . 1 got left out and the other I tested at -10 below zero to see if it could stay alive at those temps ...this strain is a real die hard .. if it turns out to be some reactions to cold I will be hoping it finishes in a lot less flowering ..lol

T

tazz11

thanks Kygiacomo

that is just what I was looking for .. the two strains are very close and if my Abducted strain is reacting to cold temps then maybe I can get this strain back in line ..

look like the delahaze strain base only comes in fem. my strain is reg . I can use that delahaze as a good cross for Abducted ...and others that want delahaze in both genders can get very close ....they don't tell you much about the parents of delahaze ...but looks like a good cross

I am sure you would end up with "Abducted haze" but it would be one hell of killer F1 ...

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
all 6 were tested to cold temps . 1 got left out and the other I tested at -10 below zero to see if it could stay alive at those temps ...this strain is a real die hard .. if it turns out to be some reactions to cold I will be hoping it finishes in a lot less flowering ..lol

if this strain is all that impressive and I'm not saying it isn't, why would you test it for cold resistance before trying to flower it? or was that only one of your tests? does it clone well?

eastcoastjoe

not trying to be rude bro but it would be a good idea to get a grasp on growing before you even think of breeding. how can you begin to observe traits from a plant that is just trashed?
pretty sure what you have there is just weed my friend. may seem special to you but its pot dude, not some crazy rare weed that only you have. one must learn to crawl before he can walk, take baby steps bro, you will still reach your destination

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Questions, what is the importance of cold resistance? You can't grow it out in sub freezing temperatures realistically. And how would a tropical low altitude plant develop cold resistant traits anyway? Do you believe that this plants ability to with stand freezing temps to change or improve the cannabinoid profile?

zarak

the cold temps didn't purple the leaves any? why would you not take clones and test on them if you have 4 females? if it were me i'd flower 2 keep 1 for a mother to experiment on and the other would be a target for cs for female beans. the males i would build an isolation chamber and collect the pollen and store it the most viable way to use at a later date.

i haven't grown or posted in a while but i'll have to dig up a photo or two of one of mine from a legal grow where the temps were 40's to 60's and it looked nothing like that. now keep in mind i didn't put mine out to freeze either. mine took longer to finish, turned purple and put on some nice trichs. how much do you smoke if leaf hits get you high for hours? i can see a leaf joint taking the edge off for one person but not for no 4 hours.

Doc D

Viet black smokes nothing like a PURE sativa and is stong as hell...

How many times have you flowered out this strain? Any pics late in flower? I can only see your veg pics. In my experience, any plant that grows 16 weeks+ has always had thin leaf traits.

T

tazz11

our environment is a short grow season and cold weather kills a lot of hybrids by many growers in this area ...testing for temps is a must here , with other strains I just don't have the room or time to work with something that is not stable ...or that unpredictable ...

I never stated I did not have more seed .......I am sorry I don't agree a male strain base is male dominated ,I am not in to cash crops ..if you have just female of a strain you have next to nothing ....more then a pipe full...cloning and fem seed are a waste of my time . I only get them when I want to breed that strain and already have a selected male ...

95% of all crosses you are hunting for a good male for your own female strain base .. why do you get F1 vigor because your adding male gender to a female strain base , your strain base is conditioned to your own environment...

it may look odd to you younger growers but I know just what I am doing ...,if the strain picks up and stables out great if not its seeds in a collection for a future grower ...

and yes I could isolate the males but they are what I want to work with ...defining a good breeding male strain is the best way to great a great strain base keeping a selected male and mother takes years ...often backcrosses fail to add male gender traits and you end up with part of what you were looking for ...

I have fem spray . I don't like using it ...if you can get F1 vigor from fem seeds let me know how ...lol

here let me ask you ... if you get f1 vigor and keep mixing the same males and females what do you get ...? more stable traits less F1 vigor , which would you want? more stabilization or more phenol types ..?

this is what I don't get about the modern breeding strains . if a strain is casting phenol types it is showing you what is locked in the past of those two strains or show what could be in your future breeding of those two strains . so the hell would throw away the male traits . they can cast in the female plants ...those phenol types can come from ether parent...do you see a male seed bank out there I don't ... lol

in fact the seed banks are making more fem then ever before . so you don't have males of those strains ...your paying more for 1/2 a strain base ....

i tip my hat to sensi for make great reg strains and giving the breeders and growers the choice ...

i share my genetics with growers and breeders in this area and the strains have to be able to take the cold or there done before they finish ...

T

tazz11

Questions, what is the importance of cold resistance? You can't grow it out in sub freezing temperatures realistically. And how would a tropical low altitude plant develop cold resistant traits anyway? Do you believe that this plants ability to with stand freezing temps to change or improve the cannabinoid profile?

we had this same conversation .. we don't know what it means other then its a odd trait of this strain . we test strains to 48 degrees all the time . never saw one at 25 degree so i tested it thinking it would kill it . its still alive after -10 so the trait is there how can it be used is still un answered
,.. if that's the case this plant could live in a igloo...and good question how can a strain from a rainforest have this trait ? from what Kygiacomo said about the delahaze strain base other straits close to this one could in fact have this trait ...i don t know how . but the theory is out there ..."Do you believe that this plants ability to with stand freezing temps to change or improve the cannabinoid profile?

good question i just don't know enough about the strain yet to have a solid answer yet . one thing that me and mike agree on is the strain has traits that are normally seen in one type or the other not both in one or all 3 in one .. we would have test to see how each are reflected in the traits .. one question we have is how dose a strain in the rainforest get indicia traits when there is no other indicia in that area ...? the idea it blew in on the wind is not out of the question but i find it unlikely , so this leaves two choices someone planted in the jungle or its been there longer then we 've been here ...lol

Buda monks have been threw out the area for hundreds of years its not imposable ...for that matter nether is the Tasmanian tiger theory ..a unknown strain could still be out there growing just like this one did .. if that's what it is .. we see this in other live form ... birds, plants, fish ,animals ... ?,

in fact, i saw ask ED , give the guy grow advise for the dalat strain . short light cycle 10 hours and force it to flower and stay short,..

isolate one of each gender and
then that's my next step ...

Last edited:

zarak

ok here you go grown with no heat in the middle of winter temps in the 40's lights off to 60's lights on. finished up in Jan. 2012.

3_zpspbkvb5lq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2_zpstpo9fpjn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1_zps8p57wmf8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

does that mean it's a super strain?? nope not at all and i also keep a few males from time when i do decide to grow.

StoneyK

Veteran
so no I am not falling for that sh** again I was ask for pics I posted some . I don't have to do anything other then live and die ...the strain is not being made public ....if this is where my work on this strain stops . so be it ....

I agree ....I will be back after harvest time .....

Seriously? you would let it die before letting anyone else have it but its that special?
I have no words to describe my disgust for irresponsible selfish bullshit like that.
If its special it should be preserved pure and simple as that, if you cant handle growing it an take it thru there are so many sativa guys that would love it an make sure it was preserved for everyone. Or even breeders like ace that specialize in preserving theethese lines.

Last edited:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
This is a strain from vietnam that was brought back by GI's.. i believe it to be the wide leaf sativa , also fits the description exactly that DJ Shot wrote about Vietnamese strains from 70's
picture.php

picture.php