What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

mingmen

Trust me when I tell you your friends $20 pen is not on the same level as a device like this. You cannot even get the parts from china wholesale for $20 with something like this. The genuine batteries alone are going to run you that much. You can probably get all of the stuff I listed above shipped for under $100.

As has been mentioned before, there are room for both types of devices to co-exist, but what we are talking about here is a real battery powered nail. Those other pens are good for certain circumstances, but can't replace a true dab to the head.

When you have a device like this, there are no "safety" electronics involved at all. When you push the button, you are basically making contact directly with the battery to heat up your coils. The only limitations on your power output are the type of coil you twist and the type of battery you use which is why it works well for our purposes.

I need to make one of these for around the house. Are you saying youtube videos will show me everything to do it or is there a tutorial somewhere you have seen?
Any other tools or supplies other than the main 4 parts mentioned? Special solder or the like?
tia

flatslabs

You need the 4 main parts, which make up the vape itself, as well as the wick and wire, so 6 items total. And I highly recommend getting one of those ohm testers, they are only about 12 bucks

The only tools you will need are just basic things like clippers to cut the wire and something to wind your coil around. The Patriot RDA i bought came with a screwdriver which is exactly 2mm diameter, perfect for wrapping coils around.

The dudes videos are annoying, but I would tell you to look on youtube for a guy named Rip Trippers who does all kind of coil builds for e-cig people. The video most applicable to our purposes is the one titled "The Macro Coil", just ignore the part about the cotton which we dont use

Plush1

I am so far (after 2 days) very happy with the Micro G. My one option is Qwiso and it works fantastic. Of course in 6 months I'll probably be nitpicking it but for now I love it. Be warned once you figure it out you'll be blowing out huge clouds that stick around for a few minutes (nothing like weed). Dude walked into the bar bathroom tonight and announced that it smells like cocaine in here :biggrin:

mingmen

Just wanted to show my latest coil before I give it a good test.
2 strands of 24 AWG Kanthal braided with 5 wraps for each coil around stainless mesh... with some girl scout cookies

so that is 2 pieces of mesh - both wrapped - but with shatter on only one?
just trying to picture it
could that eco-wool that was mentioned work there?
I am getting stoked I think I see the benefits here

flatslabs

so that is 2 pieces of mesh - both wrapped - but with shatter on only one?
just trying to picture it
could that eco-wool that was mentioned work there?
I am getting stoked I think I see the benefits here

That picture was of a braided coil, two pieces of coil wire braided together before wrapping into a coil, it ended up being too hot for my liking and I went back to the standard single wraps.

But yes, there are two coils, only one was dabbed up in the photo so I could show off the other one in focus.

You can see the stainless mesh is the stuff inserted like a tube in the middle of the coils. You roll it up kind of like a poster and stuff it in there.

I am sure you can use Ekowool if you want, but keep in mind concentrates don't wick like e-juice does, so you cant use the same techniques the e-juice vapers use necessarily. I have been told the stainless steel mesh or ceramic wicks are the best for concentrates.

RonSmooth

Veteran
Thanks flatslabsfor that detailed parts list.

I wish I had read this thread a couple weeks earlier. I honestly thought there was more to these things than a battery and a short circut.

flatslabs

No problem. Honestly a lot of the e-cig / vape terms can be confusing for newcomers, especially for our needs where things don't directly translate over and for someone like myself who isn't a nicotine / ejuice user.

Who chose some of the terms: What the hell is a mechanical mod, I dunno? Its a battery tube with a button on it.

Some of my relatives own a pretty large e-cig / vape store and import tons of the equipment over so I get to check it all out. I have tested pretty much every cartridge / coil / atomizer out there that is made for concentrates, and nothing does it like one of these.

And again, there are a million different parts you can choose to make one. You don't need the Nemesis and the Patriot, I just listed the above parts because I have used a bunch of them and I like these the best for one reason or another, which I can elaborate on if you guys want.

RonSmooth

Veteran
Thanks again.

So the Nemisis "clones" are copies of the "Nemesis" brand? All I see are clones. I have no problem buying a copy, just dont want to buy a cheap knockoff.

Should they cost around $20?

And I havent seen any mention of a magnet switch upgrade. Is this something that isnt advertised?

Youre right about the confusing terminology. The kid at the store was calling the pen I bought a "vape pen" when it doesnt "vape" anything. You're just causing a wire to get red hot with a battery and a simple circuit. Add a switch so you can interrupt the circuit (turn it on and off) and viola.

I cant believe I was such a sucker. I was on vacation and desperate. I couldnt bring my torch/nail and nothing else cuts it anymore. Dabs off of a nail are on another level and the cheap plastic mini pens are not even close to a substitute.

Not to mention I paid way too much for something so simple. I see them on ebay for a fraction of what I paid. And I haggled!!

flatslabs

Yeah, pretty much everything you are going to buy is going to be a clone. The authentic parts are like hundreds of dollars a piece for some reason and the 1:1 clones are the same pretty much.

The Nemesis clone I have is made by Ehpro for instance, tons of Chinese companies copy them. They are going to cost anywhere from $20 - $40, I think I paid a little more because the black ones are in higher demand or something.

For the switch upgrade, just search ebay for like "nemesis 3 magnet switch upgrade" its gonna be 3 little round magnets for like 6 bucks. It replaces the spring in your switch for a better feel.

And I also recommend getting the "nemesis hybrid adapter" which is gonna be like another 10 bucks, it lets you make the device a little smaller and I am all for that. Again, confusing terminology but its basically a replacement end cap that eliminates air holes that are for a different type of atomizer than we are using.

Don't worry about getting ripped off man, those devices work in a pinch, its just the reason they exist is because Chinese companies are trying to shoehorn existing technology to work for concentrates, and it really just doesn't.

mingmen

That picture was of a braided coil, two pieces of coil wire braided together before wrapping into a coil, it ended up being too hot for my liking and I went back to the standard single wraps.

But yes, there are two coils, only one was dabbed up in the photo so I could show off the other one in focus.

You can see the stainless mesh is the stuff inserted like a tube in the middle of the coils. You roll it up kind of like a poster and stuff it in there.

I am sure you can use Ekowool if you want, but keep in mind concentrates don't wick like e-juice does, so you cant use the same techniques the e-juice vapers use necessarily. I have been told the stainless steel mesh or ceramic wicks are the best for concentrates.

I just want to make sure I am understanding the terms - your coil is made of wire mesh braided by wire - and it should probably just be single (instead of double braided)?
It looks like there would be some run off/drip. Is that an issue? I thought others were building like a little moat around it to give it a chance to get it all vaped?
Not like e juice though, just so it doesn't melt away from the coils

RonSmooth

Veteran
Thanks again.

You managed to make it absolutely clear in 2 posts.

I thought people were rebuilding transmissions or making particle accelerators withthe sound of these parts>

Im going to order the stuff over the next few days.

I am suprised this hasnt been bagged and tagged yet. Probably running into trouble with the DEA. Someone is raking in cash by overcharging for those mini pens. They cost around $100!

I see ones that look exactly like mine for $10 on ebay. That sounds closer to what I would expect to pay considering the parts, design and "technology" involved.

Oh well. Next time Ill research first.

Still good to have around too.

mingmen

Well now that I am looking at the used photos - it just spreads out over that surface and simmers?
Better keep that straight up and down looks like

RonSmooth

Veteran
Well now that I am looking at the used photos - it just spreads out over that surface and simmers?
Better keep that straight up and down looks like

Yeah.

I wouldnt call it simmering though. More like quickly sizzling, completely melting and disappearing into your brain. All in a few seconds.

You could pack a good amount into mine. More than I'd ever use at once. Not into taking little hits all day of burnt oil. Shouldnt need more than one hit. A single dab off a nail is devastating and lasts for hours. Thats why I love it. The whole ritual of heating the nail, prepping the dab, etc. Then you touch the tiny glob of oil to the glowing nail and in about 5 seconds you are the highest you have ever been.

I love watching people do one for the first time. The wide eyes followed by the coughing fit. Then a few seconds of silence before the afflicted can muster only -

"woah"

Anyway, the mini pen I have has no cap on the dish/coil and should be held upright to avoid spills. Wax/oil/shatter gets viscous relatively quickly after heating. I can put mine in my pocket with no worries shortly after using it.

Not sure about these mods though. Looks liek they get much hotter and much faster. The housing may get hot and keep the oil runny for longer.

I know I wouldnt want to put my titanium nail in my pocket after a hit.

flatslabs

I just want to make sure I am understanding the terms - your coil is made of wire mesh braided by wire - and it should probably just be single (instead of double braided)?
It looks like there would be some run off/drip. Is that an issue? I thought others were building like a little moat around it to give it a chance to get it all vaped?
Not like e juice though, just so it doesn't melt away from the coils

I will post some photos later that explains all this stuff. Don't worry about the braiding and all of that.

The best example of coil building is on youtube Rip Trippers The Macro Coil. Everything is the same except we are using rolled up stainless steel mesh instead of the cotton.

There isn't much run off / drip if you do your wicking right. Again, this is more like a nail, you smear a dab on and your getting 1 - 2 hits max, don't treat this like a cartridge. It's not like the funnel design in the e-cig concentrate cartridges works in the first place, thats why they come with dab tools because you constantly have to mess with it to get a good hit.

flatslabs

I am so far (after 2 days) very happy with the Micro G. My one option is Qwiso and it works fantastic. Of course in 6 months I'll probably be nitpicking it but for now I love it. Be warned once you figure it out you'll be blowing out huge clouds that stick around for a few minutes (nothing like weed). Dude walked into the bar bathroom tonight and announced that it smells like cocaine in here :biggrin:

I am honestly not trying to knock your micro G, but for your own health, make sure you aren't using some of the cheaper knock off coils and get yourself a good ceramic one.

That "cocaine" smell in the bathroom was probably some Chinese chemicals getting burnt off of your atomizer.

mingmen

I will post some photos later that explains all this stuff. Don't worry about the braiding and all of that.

The best example of coil building is on youtube Rip Trippers The Macro Coil. Everything is the same except we are using rolled up stainless steel mesh instead of the cotton.

There isn't much run off / drip if you do your wicking right. Again, this is more like a nail, you smear a dab on and your getting 1 - 2 hits max, don't treat this like a cartridge. It's not like the funnel design in the e-cig concentrate cartridges works in the first place, thats why they come with dab tools because you constantly have to mess with it to get a good hit.

I like the concept. Thanks for the help.

flatslabs

Ok i hope these inline pictures work, this forum is kinda weird for pics. (Apparently I can only use 5 inline pictures in a post, so I have attached one at the bottom that is not inline)

1) These are two vapes next to each other. The one on the left is a Tree of Life Mod w/ Omega RDA. The one on the right is what is discussed in my posts previously which is a Nemesis Mod w/ Patriot RDA.

2) Here are your materials to build a coil. You've got coil wire and stainless steel mesh that I cut down into little strips. I ran the mesh through the flame of a torch to oxidize it so it is not conductive.

(Check attachments, too many inline images)

3) I made 2 coils and installed them into the patriot. I used 8 turns for each coil around a 2mm screwdriver (which came with the patriot). I then rolled up the stainless mesh into little tubes and inserted into the middle of the coils

4) I cut the excess mesh off and tucked it down and adjusted it however I wanted.

5) I test fire the coil to continue to oxidize any of the mesh I missed with the torch and make sure there are no hot spots and my coils burn evenly and from the middle out.

6) Since everything is good...

Attachments

• materials.jpg
    materials.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 22

Gry

Between your explanation and the videos it is starting to make a little sense. Thank you very much.

flatslabs

Yeah the mesh is just our wick material instead of cotton, or ekowool or silica or whatever the ejuice guys use. Concentrates dont wick up cotton like the ejuice does so it doesn't work well.

The stainless mesh kind of absorbs whatever melts off of your coil and stops any excess that is left from collecting in the bottom cup, but there are people out there building all kinds of crazy coils without wicks and stovetop designs, etc. What I posted here is just a pretty basic coil design that gets me ripped on a regular basis.