What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Matanuska Thunderfuck lineage

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Great thread guys, thanks for the read!

I smoked MVTF back in 2005 in the Bay area. HOLY SHIT! Dark nugs, sweet yet putrid smell. Real creeper high. Wish I could find her again...

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone know of strains created from MVTF that are well known? I crossed grape krush to the mvtf and done a number of germ tests with all plants showing wide kushy leaves, i'd say at least 20 of them. Well, I finally got one that looks different. It has the thin super serrated leaves of the mvtf cut. There is no hint of gk in the scent at all. It is like the mvtf scent but with other smells.
I smell scents akin to trainwreck and even the skunkieness that the chemD has in it. These scents are sparking my curiosity!
RM

S

Señor Chang

So having grown up in the surrounding areas, and having smoked all sorts of weed since the mid-70's I feel I am entitled to an Alaskan opinion.
Alaska has some great pot!
When I was growing up it was unheard of to get shitty pot.
You may get a lite or wet bag, but the pot was alway the best.
I don't think there was a particular strain called Matanuska Thunderfuck.
I think it is just a sampling hybrids that were brought north with the oil construction boom.
-That meshed with the virgin terroir : )
I'm familiar with 'Matanuska Thunderfuck'.
The addition of the word 'valley' to the strain or strains being traded/sold these days kinda hints at a shakiness of the legend.
So to summarize how I see it:
It is just a term to relate the consistent high quality possibly outdoor grown weed that comes from the areas surrounding the Matanuska Valley.
I also believe that there are valley growers that want to perpetuate the "clone only elite" status of what they are growing, for profitability.
Marketing

spazspaz

True MVTF came from the Matunuska Valley in Alaska. Like the famous Chem's, it was the bagseed of some exceptional, Sat dom pot. It's true lineage is unknown. It was shared in certain circles, in the PNW (Cali, Oregon, Washington). The original mom, selfed after being kept a little long, and some beans did hit the streets. Mostly it's a clone only, and alot of the beans floating about are crosses. I got beans from a selfed female, in Oregon back in 1983. The high is electric, very Sat dom, and sneaky to say the least. It's easy to over toke, and if done, the end results, after a vibrating / soaring high, is a hard crash (couchlocked like a moFo). I run it every few years, and have made beans of the offspring, it shows only two phenos. One with flowing buddage (Sat dom), the other with more popcorn style flowing buddage. Both pack similar highs, but the one with popcornish type buds, is a bit more of a Indy, mixed high. Still very up, but less sneaky. The smell is not of vomit. It smells of candy, a sweet mix of floral and sweet tarts. The taste is pleasant, and it will tear you up. I have had buddies puke after toking on it like Snoop Dog, but they never turned it down afterwards. They just treated it with respect, and toked lightly.

Wow. Highly informative report. I had a 1/4 oz souvenir of some show stealing blueish, sweet smelling outrageous candy blissful comfort that went by the name Matanuska Thunderfuck in Humboldt, 2002. However, I heard refutation of the lineage claim of the stuff I had, so I can’t be sure what it was.

Last edited:

SMF

. So my understanding is why it's a clone only is it was gifted to the hells angles in Alaska and only smoked and sold from them. As it was told to me is that it was brought over from veitnam during the war and has been in hibernation somewhere in alaska since the 80s because of the drug war. but everyone claims that their cut is the true matanuska. I've heard that even the cuts that's on the west coast are a fake but ill see after I aquire the seeds and phylos some plant tissue.

G

Vietnam sativas growing in Alaska? Outdoor and greenhouse is impossible. And in the 70's and 80's the growers by and large would not have had the know how to grow pure sativas with any success.

M

moose eater

Really??!! Not true, Outcold!!

I quit posting here months ago, but can't let this slide, so I'll breech my silence this time.

I'm smoking some killer, outdoor-grown, quality crosses from the Alaska Range these days.

If you know how to do it, (and it's easy, though labor intensive sometimes) there's been outdoor grown weed in Alaska since at least the 70s. Seen it and done it.

Often started indoors in the spring time (later winter even), whether on 115 AC, or generator fueled in the bush, and darkness is provided in a variety of ways, then moved outdoors in later May or early June, depending on the year's weather; from black plastic over crude or formal greenhouses (telltale sign 40+ years ago here; a checkerboard of blacked-out greenhouses). Now'days, horticultural cloth that looks like white canvas but lets little to no light through. Or... as I've known -many- to do over the years, under the open sky in larger pots, or even 1/3 of a cleaned 55-gallon oil drum, taken into sheds at night for the 12 hrs. of darkness using hand trucks. Or similar method, using casters on larger plywood trays, into windowless, darkened sheds with wooden tracks or similar guides.

Some of these methods were even motorized with garage door openers.

Can't be done? Only for those who lack sufficient imagination, innovation, and willingness.

Smoking a Lemon Haze Terpenado cross this evening.. grown outdoors in the chilly mountains.

Cheers!!

G

I'll admit I never tried. But with close to 30 years indoor growing experience I have a hard time understanding how a Vietnamese (or any sativa) could be successfully grown outside /greenhouse even with the effort you laid out in your post.

Bardo Eagle

Vietnam have a mountain range in the north,hempy strain possible due to neighborhod china or laos??hybridilized via pollen with thc sativa but inbreeding with 50/50 hempy cbd/thc.
Good phenotype with one digit thc,and early ripness is possible.. A vietnam strain with this features to me in some place in alaska (like juneau) could flower,but not resembles Matanuska Thunderfuck

In the late '70s and early '80s here in Alaska, we called any good, seedless pot "Matanuska Thunderfuck," because it was probably grown in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. It's grown under lights or in greenhouses (or similar shelters) only.

There are no native (indigenous) strains, not even a ruderalis, in Alaska.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
. So my understanding is why it's a clone only is it was gifted to the hells angles in Alaska and only smoked and sold from them. As it was told to me is that it was brought over from veitnam during the war and has been in hibernation somewhere in alaska since the 80s because of the drug war. but everyone claims that their cut is the true matanuska. I've heard that even the cuts that's on the west coast are a fake but ill see after I aquire the seeds and phylos some plant tissue.

Let me help. Your understanding is completely, 100% incorrect.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the late '70s and early '80s here in Alaska, we called any good, seedless pot "Matanuska Thunderfuck," because it was probably grown in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. It's grown under lights or in greenhouses (or similar shelters) only.

There are no native (indigenous) strains, not even a ruderalis, in Alaska.

I've been telling people this for years. YEARS. And I have made exactly ZERO headway. It's been remarkable to witness. The power of the canna-myth is virtually unstoppable. People DO NOT want to know the actual story from actual people, who were actually there.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vietnam sativas growing in Alaska? Outdoor and greenhouse is impossible. And in the 70's and 80's the growers by and large would not have had the know how to grow pure sativas with any success.

Uhhhh......what?

Happy Times

Any of y’all grow the Bros. Grimm ATF? I found a few nice ladies in a pack, a couple more skunky, and one with a fruit punch flavor to it. One of the skunky ones was great bud but I could never get clones to root so I lost her. The fruity one was one that I and friends ran for a while. A bit lanky with hard buds, good stuff and one we wish we still had around.

Lineage? Hmmm it seemed like sativa/indica hybrid, I’d venture a guess along the lines of skunk but it didn’t have the tangy flavor of the Skunk #1 I’ve seen.

MD84

I grew some Wild Cherry from Seeds Of Compassion which is still one of my top 5 all time favourites. The genetics are Trainwreck X Cherry Thunderfuck. seed finder has MTF as Cherry Thunderfuck. Did it also go by that name too? The above cross was like cherry sherbert

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
Any of y’all grow the Bros. Grimm ATF? I found a few nice ladies in a pack, a couple more skunky, and one with a fruit punch flavor to it. One of the skunky ones was great bud but I could never get clones to root so I lost her. The fruity one was one that I and friends ran for a while. A bit lanky with hard buds, good stuff and one we wish we still had around.

Lineage? Hmmm it seemed like sativa/indica hybrid, I’d venture a guess along the lines of skunk but it didn’t have the tangy flavor of the Skunk #1 I’ve seen.

I spoke with Mr. Soul about the ATF as he still had a bunch of seed. He said that it was a strain that Sly pulled out of his ass and that he wouldn't be reworking it.

Latest posts

Latest posts