What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is this root bug and how do I kill it? Hydro

mcnasty

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have these root bugs in my flow and grow buckets for about two-3 weeks now that I know of. My plants are dying from them. Leaves basically look like I have major deficiencies.

My ph is fine, everything is identical to my other runs going right now without bugs. I run megacrop with ogbiowar and mammoth P.

Heres pics of the bugs under a 30x loupe: https://imgur.com/a/cogK7

When I google springtails,(specifically fungus eating springtail) I get the most similiar pictures, the difference being my bugs seem more clear than white, and I can see black eyes.

So far I've dried dutchmaster zone, and very strong h202 to kill them, no luck. The plants are very close to harvest. I can just cut them all down, but I still need to know what they are and how to kill them in case they show up in other systems. I'm fine with using pesticides if it's the best option.

I reuse my hydroton in these systems. I simply go through too much to make buying new every run realistic. Currently I pretreat by soaking them in the tub with bleach water before every run, after screening out as much old root matter as possible. Is there a product anyone would suggest I use to pretreat that has better bug killing properties?

thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

buzzmobile

Veteran
Springtails come in a variety of shapes and colors. Your pictures are showing springtails. Springtails are not normally a problem. Soapy water will kill them.