What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider miles in week 4 of flower in 9 week strain

Safe Gardener

Hello ICMAG,

I'm usually pretty good about finding my answers with a few Google searches, but am kind of in a corner here and hoping for some help.

As the title says im right at 4 weeks of flower and have found spider mites. Has anyone used Ortho Bug B Gon to with success to kill these fuckers? Do I have any options other than chopping, dumping all my soil and starting from scratch? Thanks for any suggestions.

Safe Gardener

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I never use any kind of pesticide, organic or not.

I use predator mites and they work great without any adverse effects to my pot. It's not the cheapest way to go but it does work and it's 100% clean.

If you do go with preds there are a number of things to consider. If you go that way, let me know. Things like humidity and light cycle affect pred mites big time.

S

sourpuss

Predator mites after a pyrethum spray or bomb schedule should fuck those fuckers up. Is what i would do.

will you just dust it with food grade DE, they will stop eating then mope around a few hours and die.
do that 3 times in a week to make sure you get the eggs that hatch keep an eye on things reapply when/if you see them make damage
wash off bud at end of flower and you saved your work.

de should be in every planter from the get go and in every home growers cupboard

Last edited:

Safe Gardener

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll pass on the Ortho and try a few DE dustings. Is dusting the DE at this point in flower a better idea than making g a solution and spraying the whole plant? I'll hit my Agway later today to pickup a bag and hopefully save my harvest.

SG

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
DE is a lung irritant. Nasty stuff. Srew spraying, that's for unhealthy commercial crap. Never done predators, I chop and scrub.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Definitely wear a mask when using DE.

Oh, and turn off the fans while you apply. LMAO I found that out the hard way the first time I used DE.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll pass on the Ortho and try a few DE dustings. Is dusting the DE at this point in flower a better idea than making g a solution and spraying the whole plant? I'll hit my Agway later today to pickup a bag and hopefully save my harvest.

SG

I don't like to spray liquid anything on my flowers so just try the dusting
I am not sure how much spoon feeding you need but wear a mask {f.g de its a dust don't let big chem guys scare you off } dust before lights out.top to bottom under leaves and the container soil and floor.
sure its a fine power and gets around but a fine coating does the trick..

if you are just personal growing (which I base my recommendations on) you will have no problem keeping them at bay for the next month or so
afterwards you do a total clean out but that's not good enough just remember if you see them or not neem oil and de through veg next time
sure you can try pred mites and such NEXT time but it cuts the de out if you do
but remember a 1 cup of de for every gallon of soil that's the greatest trick for soil inserts or larva

or just chop everything down and lose all your time and money plus your bud

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
When the DE sticks to the buds and you end up smoking it, does it hurt your lungs? I know breathing it can kill you. I wonder how smoking it affects you.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
This one is my favorite video of HOW TO GET RID OF BUGS ON MEDICINE!

GO TO 6:35 IN VID
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSj4LnssJg

These guys must be Trailer Park Boys fans. Unfortunately, once it gets to the point of infestation (webs, major leaf damage, spread around everywhere) - You're all done. If you even suspect there is a risk of having SMs, you'd better watch them carefully and hit them immediately.

stim

I personally have never seen de work for anything except a very minute silica source. Also it should not be in smoked product at all ever. Pyrethrum will effect your smoke and generally it just pisses the mites off. If you bomb your plants you will see them move to the tops away from the bomb in large packs. I'm sorry like previous poster said cut that crop down and clean your room. Mites suck always quarantine new clones and clean your room well. You will need something to kill the eggs I know organocide works carefully spraying veg plants with it if you must it will nuke them but cure them.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Why does no one believe in predators?

I never used them until last year. It is definitely more expensive than poison but, to me, there's no choice. I would NEVER smoke shit that was sprayed with ANYTHING.

Don't get me wrong, I would do it and sell it to you. LMAO I would just never smoke it myself. LOL I'm sure that's the way most commercial growers feel.

Nothing works on spider mites except a hard core cleaning after harvest. But, preds saved 2 crops of mine so I will swear by them from now on. They kept the Spider mites at complete bay until after harvest.

If you do use preds, read up first. Persimilis (the most common predator mite) does not do well in 12/12 or below 50% RH. There are other species that do better in flower mode.

I agree with you ringo
ipm thuo not like that guy in the video and his lazy dirty grow.
I use nematodes and some other pred mites but that's not something to reach for when an issue arises that must be incorporated before any issues ay least for me cus I cant source them local it might be 5 days or more down time.
it washed off for me on sticky buds but was only a small personal grow in week three it did not effect taste make me cough or anything burned the same as every other year just a rinse is all it took.

oh and foodgrade de or any most de these days is much much much safer then the past.
de will give you a good knock down just gotta wait for eggs to hatch as I said in a week its a done deal pretty much mites are rather easy then some others .
see there is a big difference between I don't spray anything on my plants at all and
I am too fucking lazy to do proper basics and I don't spray either lol

I used it for over 30 years it works if it did not for you ya used it wrong

https://youtu.be/CANlNcYBq6c

I think the op was knowing what he should do but only he would know how bad or w/e its worth saving that or just kill by hand and let them eat till then a ice bath at harvest

Safe Gardener

Slap,

You may be giving me to much credit, as far as knowing what to do (aside from asking here). The mites haven't created any webs yet and are just now showing up across the whole plant. BTW, yes this is a personal grow. My assumption was that with some sort of treatment I could get through the next month and then do a total clean shop. I'm just hoping to get this through flower because up until now it's been doing so well.

So for this round I'll give the DE dusting a go and then a heavy washing at harvest. Then the cab(s) (double decker) will be cleaned before anything goes back in.

Thanks everyone for their input, it is much appreciated! The community of growers here is just amazing from the guy with a few runs under his belt to the never before grown to the all out big time guys.

SG

Last edited:
bro you going to be fine just be on top of it like you seem to be.
they are part of the family I know they are your babies you want to try and that's cool in this case.

dont try soaps or oils ever in mid flower maybe 1st week or hardly any flower yet.
you wont taste the de at all and if you try anything else you will

good luck man

If you're in flower, G. pyri or N. fallacis should be established prior to infestation. P. persimilis is the only predator mite that can get on top of an infestation, but will go into diapause under 12/12.

Stethorus species maybe be used in flower, but care should be taken when considering temperature and humidity.

Also an IPM strategy that uses predators needs cover crops that can either host a nonpest prey source for predators or pollen.

In this case I would daily spray an IPM of geranium, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus oil and twice a week of B. bassiana

Safe Gardener

How much flour to a gallon? Will all purpose be fine or bread flour? This sounds even less evasive than the DE? Have you used this technique with good result?