What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Makeshift Greenhouse Problems

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Up your lights to 16 hrs/day. Bigger pots will help to insulate your young, tender roots from the low night temps too.

brown_thumb

Up your lights to 16 hrs/day. Bigger pots will help to insulate your young, tender roots from the low night temps too.

I can increase lighted hours but I'm increasing my risk... I live in south Texas. I guess I have no choice until my privacy fence is installed.

I hadn't considered the added insulation of soil protecting the roots but it doesn't get that cold here. In fact, the temperature has only dropped below 32F one night this year and I run a heater set to 45F. It may approach freezing for the next three nights but I'll be running the heater. I have a line-level thermostat placed at the plants to ensure temperature accuracy. I never let the plants experience temps below 45F.

Levitationofme

Personally I think using the condensate from a window air conditioner is not a good idea.

Would you fill a glass with it and be happy drinking it. NO.

It was not designed with that in mind. Who knows what treatment it has been subjected to.

Im just saying

brown_thumb

Personally I think using the condensate from a window air conditioner is not a good idea.

Would you fill a glass with it and be happy drinking it. NO.

It was not designed with that in mind. Who knows what treatment it has been subjected to.

Im just saying

The condensate is distilled water with some algae growth in it. I treat each gallon with 3 ounces of 3 percent H2O2 for at least an hour before adding nutrients and adjusting PH. Isn't that sufficient to kill any unwanted algae and fungus in the water? At any rate, I've switched to tap water for now because I'm thinking there's a chloride deficiency.

Last edited:

brown_thumb

As of tonight, I've increased lit hours to 16. Last night, I moved the lights closer to the leaves. It will probably freeze tonight so I'll be using a space heater set to 45F (7C) placed 3 feet (1000mm) under the plants with a remote line-level thermostat set in the midst of the plants. I've decided to water them less frequently... waiting for the leaves to start drooping.

P

Pinnate

At any rate, I've switched to tap water for now because I'm thinking there's a chloride deficiency.
I switched from tapwater to rainwater years ago because, over time, I found that salt build-up was affecting growth!

When rainwater isn't available I simply distill tapwater!

brown_thumb

This morning I turned the thermostat up to 70F (21C). The small space heater is about 30 inches (75cm) below the small pots so the heat will spread and rise. If the thermostat is slow it might get to 75F but no warmer unless the outside temperature increases. The temperature at the pots could easily drop to 60F but I'm hoping the little heater can keep up. It will help when I can block the big holes in the greenhouse but that won't happen for a few days and it will probably freeze two or three nights next week. I'm hoping the warmth from the heater will help to dry out the pots a little.

The green house also leaks water and it's been raining. I think some rainwater sneaked it's way onto the plants because I see water droplets around them and the soil feels damper than it should. Maybe it's just the cold temperature. I looked yesterday evening while it was raining and didn't see any water getting to them but maybe the wind changed during the night. I'm trying to keep from overwatering the plants.

PINNATE, I have three 5 gallon buckets full of rainwater now. That will last me a long time with these small plants.

WILDGROW, When the weather clears a bit so I can mix the soil I'll move the larger plants to 5 gallon buckets.

Last edited:

Levitationofme

Testing your water is a good idea, to be sure.
You controll what goes in.
The condensate from AC can be used if you
Are sure its bacteria free. That would be the main concern.

It's probably a small chance that it could get
To be an issue. I still would not drink it.

brown_thumb

From now on I'll treat condensate with chlorine bleach two days before I use it. I don't drink condensate nor rainwater.

P

Pinnate

I'd advise strongly against using bleach due to its very high pH?

Dilute hydrogen peroxide should always be the preferred oxidiser when needed!

I have a large plastic tank collecting rainwater in my back-garden ─ I avoid runoff water from roofs because it will be contaminated by contact with tiles and lead flashing, etc..

Distilled water, of course, is the ideal solution but doing it is a pita...

Last edited:

EastCoast710

From now on I'll treat condensate with chlorine bleach two days before I use it. I don't drink condensate nor rainwater.

not trying to be a dick. but it seems like EVERY SHORTCUT your trying to take is setting you back..

chlorine bleach is not a good idea.. how about just use tap water? lol.

umm maybe I missed something.. but iuno just seems like your running around chasing problems instead of growing buds

Levitationofme

Really is not a huge deal with the condensate, but you had mentioned that you trying to grow medical for some of your friends. I dont know what their story is, but I would be careful as you have been with treatment of water. Compromised immune systems and all.

I have commented on other grows for meds and been toasted by people who, as I learned, need to be much more careful then I.

I'm only growing for 1.

My first grow ended up in the compost bin.
Only then did the remnants of my grow thrive.

Big lesson there somewhere.

Dblbogey

Big dittoes on those damns.......

overdid the 1:10 bleach solution to control spider mites and may have killed all the leaves on a half dozen vegging plants on clones three months old and others like 1 malawi gold, Strawberry blue, and longs peak blue.

Never again. Not a good idea is an understatement.

Levitationofme

As far as watering goes, I recommend the simplest version of the Blumat.
Its cheaper then the full deal, really ment for vacationing. I use them in smaller pots to keep the soil moist. Then ocassionally pour some nutrients directly into soil.

They come in 3 packs.

This way, once the plants get going the soil is always how you want it.

The "carrots " may gum up if you put nutrients
Thru them.

I use 6.4 ph rainwater or R/O.
Cal/mag can be given this way if needed.
Check carrots for muck build up.

brown_thumb

My smallest plants are NOT happy...:frown:

The pots were dry again. I guess the humidity is far too low with the space heater under the plants. I lowered the temperature of the heater to 55F which is plenty to keep the plants well above freezing even with significant temperature fluctuations.

After seeing this, I fed again with the addition of 10ml of CaMg+ per gallon, as I did last time. It didn't seem to help but it still looks like Cal-Mag deficiency to me. But I don't know...:dunno:

DSCN0426_zpszeclsi4b.jpg

DSCN0429_zpsbmpobmvy.jpg

al70

Veteran
Thank you. I tried only 6 lights placed 300mm (12 inches) from the leaves but it seemed it wasn't enough (too much stretching/bending). FWIW, I see no fading/bleaching/burning of the leaves with the lights as they are now.

Here are two pics of light placement...

View Image

View Image

it looks like these pots have accumulated a lot of salt, are the sides of your pots still white like the pics ?

brown_thumb

it looks like these pots have accumulated a lot of salt, are the sides of your pots still white like the pics ?

Yes but I thought it was mold. Does it look like salt to you? I don't know. BTW, I always let the water flush through the pots even when I feed. So salt accumulation would surprise me though I suppose it is possible.

al70

Veteran
if you're getting runoff with your feeds you should be ok regarding build up, they don't have long left, if they were mine i'd transplant them into a slightly bigger container, 6.5 litre if you can get em, just slightly dampen the topup soil, when you remove them from the salt catchers gently loosen the rootball before you transplant, get some air in em,goodluck, hope it works out.

brown_thumb

if you're getting runoff with your feeds you should be ok regarding build up, they don't have long left, if they were mine i'd transplant them into a slightly bigger container, 6.5 litre if you can get em, just slightly dampen the topup soil, when you remove them from the salt catchers gently loosen the rootball before you transplant, get some air in em,goodluck, hope it works out.

I water/feed until significant runoff every time. I have 5 gallon buckets I can transplant to but I didn't think the plants are large enough yet. The tallest one is only 6-7 inches high.

al70

Veteran
i don't think they'll survive much longer the way they are, try one of em in the 5 gallon drum put lots of stone in the bottom just fill to a third or so with new damp soil, if it recovers, do em all the same, you can always transplant a third time if they recover,, remove and fill the 5 gallon drum,, I think it's worth a try, goodluck.

Latest posts

Latest posts