What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hemp Russet Mites!! Help?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^
so u think hemp russet mites? what tells u they are NOT broads??, thanks!!!!!

i got plenty of hair ill pull that out instead of eyeballs

thanks gnome!!! if they arent broads ill prolly tetrasan/floramite them

i saw ur other post @ broads thread, broads being more fat n round like MH bulbs, plus they look more white or clear than browny tan like "my mites"

RetroGrow

Veteran
i got sum thats about 1/50th of an inch....
:comfort::comfort:
look like the lil russets but im not sure yet, my microscope camera thing doesnt get close in enough for me to tell, maybe sum1 w more experience can lend a hand.
i definitely noticed a leaf claw similar to the sour bubba leaf shown in this thread, and last run had some lower buds getting "crispy & dry" like i heard broads will do to plants in late flowering...
ill prolly post these pic in the broad mite thread also, right here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228387&page=31

View ImageView Image

View Image

Definitely NOT broad mites. Look like Russett mites. Treatment is the same. Heat will kill these, along with the "traditional" poisons.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks third coast, i had not seen those pics, they are certainly a dead giveaway,
in my room that brown powdery look only happens on the very tips of my plants, not the tops, but growth tips of mid to lower branches look sprinkled w russet dust.... and the claw....
i got em, now to get rid of em

retrogrow:
what kind of heat we talkin?

also what products of liquid sulfur do u suggest, aside from safer?
also
anyone had good exp. w forbid on these guys?
or floramite?....
FML

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
thanks third coast, i had not seen those pics, they are certainly a dead giveaway,
in my room that brown powdery look only happens on the very tips of my plants, not the tops, but growth tips of mid to lower branches look sprinkled w russet dust.... and the claw....
i got em, now to get rid of em

And that my friends is the beauty.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^
thanks again, this pic is right on for my symptoms, leaf canoeing hard core and leaf claw in the same garden and same plants, i was like, wtf!?!?!

broadmites.jpg

Cabron

Veteran
for fuk sakes ....

I was hit by mites too small to see in a 20x jewelers loupe
same exact symptoms,,spread throughout my garden just like a few years ago...

My official conclusion is ..broad or cyclamen mites
No virus ..

I am going to officially ask to have the mosaic virus thread removed..

It's bloody mites....

look at the last page on the mosaic virsu sticky for a slew of new pics of mite damage

I found them last nite with a 30x loupe and avid sprayed a few days ago has already brought about noticable change ..

RetroGrow

Veteran
for fuk sakes ....

I was hit by mites too small to see in a 20x jewelers loupe
same exact symptoms,,spread throughout my garden just like a few years ago...

My official conclusion is ..broad or cyclamen mites
No virus ..

I am going to officially ask to have the mosaic virus thread removed..

It's bloody mites....

look at the last page on the mosaic virsu sticky for a slew of new pics of mite damage

I found them last nite with a 30x loupe and avid sprayed a few days ago has already brought about noticable change ..

Had these for 3 years before discovering what they were. Also thought "virus". These are a lot more common than people realize, and TMV in cannabis is rare/harmless.

Last edited:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Also thought "virus". These are a lot more common than people realize, and TMV in cannabis is rare/harmless.

Spot On. TMV is Hyped. Broad, Cyclamen, and Russet Mites all cause the same damage., and it looks like what is said about TMV.

I got the Buggers from either the Cherry Pie Clone or the Supposed GSC I picked up from someone else..

But, I may still have some. Culling in Veg room, and will spray the Hated AVID in a couple days. Best Place to spot these Buggers is at the base of all the leaf-fingers on vegging plants (look for a reddish Dust too in the same spot), and under the leaf curling that the mites cause. They are VERY good hiders.

They eat the Pistils, and cause the end to burn. Flowers continue to grow, but no where near optimum. The BMs eat the trichomes.

Their Saliva poisons the leaves in veg. They like New Leaf Growth. They are unaffected by moisture, and can thrive in outdoor climates as well as indoors.

Avinash, you absolutely DO have them. Tough to get rid of. The SAFER Sulphur (contact) helped the AVID (systemic) get rid of them. Silica Additive to toughen up leaves.

Good Luck...!

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Spot On. TMV is Hyped. Broad, Cyclamen, and Russet Mites all cause the same damage., and it looks like what is said about TMV.

I got the Buggers from either the Cherry Pie Clone or the Supposed GSC I picked up from someone else..

But, I may still have some. Culling in Veg room, and will spray the Hated AVID in a couple days. Best Place to spot these Buggers is at the base of all the leaf-fingers on vegging plants (look for a reddish Dust too in the same spot), and under the leaf curling that the mites cause. They are VERY good hiders.

They eat the Pistils, and cause the end to burn. Flowers continue to grow, but no where near optimum. The BMs eat the trichomes.

Their Saliva poisons the leaves in veg. They like New Leaf Growth. They are unaffected by moisture, and can thrive in outdoor climates as well as indoors.

Avinash, you absolutely DO have them. Tough to get rid of. The SAFER Sulphur (contact) helped the AVID (systemic) get rid of them. Silica Additive to toughen up leaves.

Good Luck...!

Even after"saving" my plants, I noticed that they had almost no odor, although potency was still there. They seem to effect the odor which hurts "bag appeal".

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks yall, im treating, used floramite, gona try to get my hands on avid and or forbid4f, will try hydrogen peroxide as well

stasis

Veteran
Unfortunately, Floramite is not effective on these Mites. As has been discovered on the BROAD MITES thread. An alternating spray of AVID and FORBID has been shown to do the trick. I used an alternating spray of AVID and Sulphur Spray as suggested by Storm Shadow above. And STILL I am paranoid.

The symptoms do not go away immediately, even if all the bugs are eradicated, so it is challenging to know for sure if One got them all. Not a bad idea to go back 5-10 days later with another spray to get any eggs that may have hatched since the last spray. Even though AVID is supposed to remain on the leaves for 60 days.

No AVID in Flower - not healthy at all for YOUR body. You have to get them in the veg stage.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
Unfortunately, Floramite is not effective on these Mites. As has been discovered on the BROAD MITES thread. An alternating spray of AVID and FORBID has been shown to do the trick. I used an alternating spray of AVID and Sulphur Spray as suggested by Storm Shadow above. And STILL I am paranoid.

The symptoms do not go away immediately, even if all the bugs are eradicated, so it is challenging to know for sure if One got them all. Not a bad idea to go back 5-10 days later with another spray to get any eggs that may have hatched since the last spray. Even though AVID is supposed to remain on the leaves for 60 days.

No AVID in Flower - not healthy at all for YOUR body. You have to get them in the veg stage.
direction on avid plainly state

spray plants once every 3 days for for total of 3 applications approx 72 hrs is the mites life cycle hence spray once every 3 days for 3 applications. after 9 days shouldnt have any mites

i found 10 drops from eye droper into 1 quart of water along with 1/4 tsp dish soap. 1/2tsp avid per gal water i had 44 drops in the 1/2tsp, hence my usen 10 drops per quart water.

stasis

Veteran
1ml/gallon - do not mess around with this stuff, it is nasty.. I'd never use it except it is the agent with which to get rid of the BMs.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
got safer concentrate "fungicide" but sulfur active ingredient so im gona try that, already floramited, and altho u say it doesnt work, im seeing alot less of them moving around on the leaves... maybe they are lazy lil mites today as i watch them on my leaves... not moving.

so far hit w :
azamax
spinosad
pest out (main ingredient: garlic oil)
floramite

next up:
safer
mighty wash

im not using avid on my plants as they are freshly flipped into flowering, and im just gonna avid/forbid the babies in veg, when i get my hands on one of those things... nasty things.

thanks for the advice all.
any other sulfur products to spray besides safer?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
closeup pic of these lil assholes on a fan leaf stem
picture.php

one lil seedling bit the dust from underwatering, and the hemp russets just went all for that one, so i finally see the tell tale brown powdery dust on stems...
untill now i had only seen leaf claw and canoeing not much visible mites, now as i let one lil one die, the lil f*#rs are showing up on the dead one hard core

still havent gotten my hands on avid, most plants in this garden are to far in flower to hit w avid anyhow, so im sticking w sulphur for now, (safer sulphur concentrate, 4 ozs per gal)
hope this makes a difference.
i hate these lil guys sooo much

RetroGrow

Veteran
For those that don't know, you can kill these things with heat. Not talking about hot water dunks, which can harm plants (tried it), but rather heating up your grow space. Leave lights on, turn off all AC and fans. You want to get the room to 120 degrees F. You my have to add a space heater. Once you have temperatures of 120 F, leave it like that for one hour. Plants will not be damaged at all, but mites (all kinds) will be dead. I have done this several times with no ill effects to the plants. Haven't really experimented with times, just left them for an hour, but you could probably leave them longer. Must repeat every 3 days to get newly hatched eggs, if any survive. This really works, as mites can't survive high temps. That's why green houses and commercial growers use hot water dips, but I found this to hurt some plants, while high room temps have no ill effects. Like to see someone else try this. Guaranteed not to hurt your plants.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dunno if i can even get it that hot in my room, like u said, need a space heater....
if i can ill give it a try, but u sure it doesn't hurt plants? even in flower?