What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st time grow! LED + CFL

gsmoked

uh thanks man the cfl i have is red only added that last week it seems to be pushing them on since ive had the 6 23 watt cfl on there , there a week into flowering with 2 of them around 3 foot high and the other 2 quite smaller one being around 16 inches but the other is around 2 foot tall, but these two are way ahead i will update some pics soon , i was maybe thinking adding a 90 watt led light in the mix or maybe my next grow as i have some fast bud seeds :D ah im english can i buy that here in the uk lol :)

D

DuhBlec

uh thanks man the cfl i have is red only added that last week it seems to be pushing them on since ive had the 6 23 watt cfl on there , there a week into flowering with 2 of them around 3 foot high and the other 2 quite smaller one being around 16 inches but the other is around 2 foot tall, but these two are way ahead i will update some pics soon , i was maybe thinking adding a 90 watt led light in the mix or maybe my next grow as i have some fast bud seeds :D ah im english can i buy that here in the uk lol :)

Yo Gsmoked- You can definitely order stuff online.. what kind of budget are you on and I might be able to give you some recommendations

gwenwon

@evrchaning nice! thanks for joining my grow dude!

@gwenwon You could spend a lot of time reading about the pros and cons of LED's... bottom line for me is my electricity is extremely expensive...so the low wattage DOES have an impact on my monthly savings, that and they don't generate heat. This being my first grow I have nothing for comparison but I'm very happy with my setup so far.. There's a LOT of threads on LED's on icmag... search around and you'll find some invaluable info!

Thanks a lot!:thank you:
In fact I have the same concern. I need to lower the budget, however there are people keep telling me that LEDs don't even save money at all. I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes. After all, I still don't have other ways out.

jjs

Nice pics Duh , btw what kind of camera are you using is it one of those slr whizz bang cameras? There some pretty awesome close up shots , ive taken a few with the iphone hehe peace champ!

:gday:

Attachments

• photo 31.jpg
    photo 31.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 11
  • photo 32.jpg
    photo 32.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo 33.jpg
    photo 33.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo 34.jpg
    photo 34.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
D

DuhBlec

Nice pics Duh , btw what kind of camera are you using is it one of those slr whizz bang cameras? There some pretty awesome close up shots , ive taken a few with the iphone hehe peace champ!:

thanks dude! Yours is looking nice as well! Really love how bushy that thing is :D I'm using a Canon pocket camera.. but its a 12.1 megapixel and has a decent macro lens built in, along with some cropping to make them appear "closer". Hope everyone has a kick ass day! Later on!

~Duhblec

C

CFL_Grow

Nice progress man getting some buds now. I love how those UFO's look im thinking about getting one over a HID bulb. Few great advantages to them, for me the biggest is the heat ! And the cool red glo :)

D

DuhBlec

Nice progress man getting some buds now. I love how those UFO's look im thinking about getting one over a HID bulb. Few great advantages to them, for me the biggest is the heat ! And the cool red glo :)

Thanks man! Yeah they do make the plants look very alien-esque :) I had to take out that little table I was using, plants are getting tall! I've got plenty of room for them to grow now and I like it better like this anyway.. I can't stop taking pictures so here's some more;

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
i threw a couple of jackXherijuana ladies in there yesterday bro i popped the seeds on 420 in memory of jack wish i had the straight jack but this was what i had in the stash vegged for about 9wks topped/fimmed her at 5wks veg bout 2.5ft tall atm i have a slh ready to go in there to but i fucked up and let her get to talls shes over 3ft so she will be going under a 1000w somewhere where she can get 8ft tall lol but i have a a collection of cuts rootin atm that i can toss in there with the jack i was gifted a very old nl thats i may through into the mix. supposedly from 87 or mabe a cherry ak will be tossed in the mix so many choices. but whatever i choose it has to be finished fast at the same time as the jack and bothe of those are fast flowerers and ready and waitin im leanin more toward the nl cause i never got to smoke the real old nl i had many other varietys of nl which were nice but this is supposed to be the nl of nls from the 80s next run is gonna be all elite kushes once the cuts i got root and veg long enough to take cuts and root em if i scheduled it right it will be poppin off in about 70days right when the jack is wrappin up your grows comin out nice im sure u mentioned it somewhere in this thread but what strains are u runnin? looks like its gonna get sugary in there soon
peace stone

D

DuhBlec

@stoney that sounds awesome man! I'm not sure on the strains of these.. decided to use bagseed for my 1st run. All I know is 3 plants seem heavy indica, 1 hybrid and 1 heavy sativa (which is coming on VERY slowly..) hopefully you're right about em gettin' sugary soon..

@liquidlight definitely.. the cfl's are perfect for seedlings, can get em real close and keep your plants bushy! Thanks for stoppin' by!

peace!

Herodias

Everything looks great! Congrats! You're so lucky to live in HI--what an amazing place. And the genetics from the Hawaiian strains . . . . mmmm, mmm, mmmm. Your bag seeds are probably just as good if not better than anything available from the seed banks. And who knows? Maybe you're sitting on a wonderful new strain!

I am switching from DWC to soil for my next grow. Is there anything tricky about using soil as the medium under LEDs? I heard that it's important not to overwater and that hand watering works better than an automated top-drip system. That's fine with me--my DWC buckets are not automated because I am growing so many different strains.

But I wanted to check with you to see how proactive you've had to be with staying on top of potential soil problems, e.g. fungus, damping off, gnats. I'm gathering information right now on setting up organic soil mixes. What has worked for you? I'm so psyched to take a break from all of the harsh chemicals that I've been using with my DWC.

Anyway, thanks for your great journal. I'm stoked for you!!!

liquidlight

@liquidlight definitely.. the cfl's are perfect for seedlings, can get em real close and keep your plants bushy! Thanks for stoppin' by!

Yeah, i used to use 30w daylight cfls but they're 6x the price of normal ones and i realise i don't really need the daylight ones anyway. Standard ones work fine ;)

D

DuhBlec

Everything looks great! Congrats! You're so lucky to live in HI--what an amazing place. And the genetics from the Hawaiian strains . . . . mmmm, mmm, mmmm. Your bag seeds are probably just as good if not better than anything available from the seed banks. And who knows? Maybe you're sitting on a wonderful new strain!

I am switching from DWC to soil for my next grow. Is there anything tricky about using soil as the medium under LEDs? I heard that it's important not to overwater and that hand watering works better than an automated top-drip system. That's fine with me--my DWC buckets are not automated because I am growing so many different strains.

But I wanted to check with you to see how proactive you've had to be with staying on top of potential soil problems, e.g. fungus, damping off, gnats. I'm gathering information right now on setting up organic soil mixes. What has worked for you? I'm so psyched to take a break from all of the harsh chemicals that I've been using with my DWC.

Anyway, thanks for your great journal. I'm stoked for you!!!

Thanks for all the kind words! I do hand water my plants every 3-4 days but I always judge by touch and look of the plant rather than a set schedule.. I keep a close watch and have yet to see (knock on wood) any of the problems you listed above. I do have gnat problems elsewhere, but not in my grow room. I'm on the water, water, feed schedule and that seems to be working well though I didn't feed through the entire vegetative stage. I used FF:Ocean Forrest when I transplanted and the plants had plenty of food for a while. I think humidity will be my biggest foe and I have a dehumidifier thats supposed to come in today/tomorrow, right now I avg around 75% RH which was nice for veg.. but would at least like to get it down into the 40-50% range. I hope you're right about these hawaiian strains.. I'm not really sure what to expect, but definitely excited to find out! Thanks for stoppin' by and let me know when you start your soil grow! :D

~peaceasy!