What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana damaged teenagers brains more than alcohol study finds

T

Teddybrae

Come on Teddy... you know what we're talking about here right?

No No! There is a mix up. It is my fault!

I am not paying enuf attention to whom wrote what. Sorry Mr Klompen. (I blame it on the mango haze.) I just see red when people use the term 'mind'. just go in the dictionary and see how may definitions there are for 'mind'. A definition in one of my dictionaries defines mind as '... the seat of the soul'! WTF?.

There's no such thing as a mind. it is a word we use when we don't know what else to say!

We invent words to help us over facts that get in our way ... and we don't even notice what we've done!!!!!!!!!

CannaZen

This study fails to consider a separate study suggesting users with pre existing conditions are more prone to consume cannabis.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
This study fails to consider a separate study suggesting users with pre existing conditions are more prone to consume cannabis.

Jeez, this thread is starting to make me feel like the BBC (& reprint) got it right after all.

Who here went & read the actual study?

Show of hands, I'm thinking Zero.

As I posted on Page 2, one of the authors of the Study came out and said that the BBC misinterpreted the study's findings (duh- why you go to the source and never trust a secondary reference).

CannaZen

Jeez, this thread is starting to make me feel like the BBC (& reprint) got it right after all.

Who here went & read the actual study?

Show of hands, I'm thinking Zero.

As I posted on Page 2, one of the authors of the Study came out and said that the BBC misinterpreted the study's findings (duh- why you go to the source and never trust a secondary reference).

Prone is not the right word to use. I think you've made your point.

Brother Nature

Here's a short interview with one of the co-authors of the study. He says pretty much the opposite of what both the USA today and BBC article are trying to infer. I also found it interesting the USA today article didn't even bother to reference the actual study.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1337469507914

Here's a link to the actual study as well.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18020202

For what it's worth I started smoking heavily around 16 and never stopped, I've never had any issues aside from when others discovered and disapproved of my substance use due to social stigma. Have been able to get a higher education (pun intended), hold down jobs that 'normal society' deem to be 'good', and maintain positive long-lasting social relationships all while smoking the devils lettuce. Alcohol was always like the devil on my shoulder as a youth, telling me to just do it, whereas cannabis was like the dreaded angel telling me to chill out and sit back and think before acting.

therevverend

Veteran
This thread reminds me of stuff my grandma used to tell me about the mind. About how he's a lazy asshole that wants to slack off and play video games and masturbate all day.

Kind of like how yoga means to yoke, as in your mind is like a bunch of lazy wild horses that want to run all over the place. You use the yoga to yoke the horses to your chariot (the body) and make them take you where you want to go in life. It's inspirational stuff I guess.

Then I became a teenager and smoked a bunch of pot and jerked off and played video games all day and decided life was simpler then all that shit.

BerrySeal

They must have used unflushed hydroponic indica for this study. Today's teens don't know any better. They think weed is supposed to taste like crusty robot dicks and make you retarded.

Klompen

No No! There is a mix up. It is my fault!

I am not paying enuf attention to whom wrote what. Sorry Mr Klompen. (I blame it on the mango haze.) I just see red when people use the term 'mind'. just go in the dictionary and see how may definitions there are for 'mind'. A definition in one of my dictionaries defines mind as '... the seat of the soul'! WTF?.

There's no such thing as a mind. it is a word we use when we don't know what else to say!

We invent words to help us over facts that get in our way ... and we don't even notice what we've done!!!!!!!!!

Sure there are many definitions for the word but that doesn't mean that it can't refer to something specific in a given context. Just like the word "cycle" can mean a bike or a pattern of behavior or the action of a firearm.

Anyway I have to play nice. I haven't had access to bud in a year so I can't use it as an excuse :D

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I absolutely support this piece of SANITY! HOORAY for this point of view! I know that Cannabis has altered the way I arrange and prioritise my thoughts. Whether it's permanent or not is difficult to say given the subjective nature of all this ...

And I saw that Alcoholic on tele too! HE LIED!

I could tell the type of man he was when he rearranged his little name plaque on the table before sitting down. His whole countenance was self-absorbed.

At one time in my life I fostered street kids. Nine times out of ten it was the one protesting loudly that was the liar.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure there are many definitions for the word but that doesn't mean that it can't refer to something specific in a given context. Just like the word "cycle" can mean a bike or a pattern of behavior or the action of a firearm.

Anyway I have to play nice. I haven't had access to bud in a year so I can't use it as an excuse :D

Really do you mean 'bud' the beer or bud the pussy willow or are you possibly referring to a cannabis floral cluster?

Klompen

Really do you mean 'bud' the beer or bud the pussy willow or are you possibly referring to a cannabis floral cluster?

Unfortunately I mean the cannabis floral clusters. Calyxes, trichomes, resins, terpenes, cannabinoids, "sugar leaves", and all that jazz. My health has gotten so much worse, along with my energy levels and my appetite. I never would have chosen to stop, but then petty local bureaucrats threw us out on the street and budgeting for "cannabis floral clusters" just wasn't an option anymore :(

Somehow my grades went up when I started smoking weed in high school. Probably had something to do with being less stressed all the time and being able to get a full nights rest.

My best papers in uni were made at 5 am completely stoned out of my mind! And then the prof came to me in private (thinking im busted, he's gonna shred my work in front of my eyes) and then tell me HOW ITS THE BEST WORK HE'S SEEN IN YEARS! He wanted to enroll me in e EC program, fuck me :laughing:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
My best papers in uni were made at 5 am completely stoned out of my mind! And then the prof came to me in private (thinking im busted, he's gonna shred my work in front of my eyes) and then tell me HOW ITS THE BEST WORK HE'S SEEN IN YEARS! He wanted to enroll me in e EC program, fuck me :laughing:

I've had a few profs compliment my work when it was also the product of some fine quality herb and procrastination lol. You gotta love it when the stupid pothead stereotype is not just disproved but totally annihilated.

Klompen

Its a visibility issue. In places where cannabis is illegal, the smart stoners are smart about hiding and the dumb stoners are easy to see and smell in public. It create the illusion that all potheads are morons, but the truth is just that pot can't fix stupid.

Andyo

Veteran
recovery from dengue fever

recovery from dengue fever

I know 100% that quality sativa has aided my brain recovery from damage caused by dengue .
I also know that alcahol would have the opposite effect .