What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KW requirement for carbon filter

Superauto

Have an 150mm opening in the tent and I’m going to make a DIY carbon filter.What is the minimum KW power required for the inline fan to operate this.
Should I use a 150mm fan and scale down the carbon filter to 100mm?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Have an 150mm opening in the tent and I’m going to make a DIY carbon filter.What is the minimum KW power required for the inline fan to operate this.
Should I use a 150mm fan and scale down the carbon filter to 100mm?
Formula:

• CF of tent (LxWxH) multiply by 2 for trunking & bend losses; and
  • CF of tent (LxWxH) multiply by 3 when using filter.
I am running 190CFM 4 inch in both my tents (smallest fan I could find). Veg is 2x2x3 the main tent is 3x3x6. My numbers look like this:

• the fan can displace 11,400CFH (190CFMx60)
  • veg tent = 12CF, x factor of 3 = 36CF. 60 total exchanges (norm 25-30) The fan displaces 2,160CFH
  • main tent = 54CF, x factor of 3 = 162CF. 60 total exchanges (norm 25-30) The fan displaces 9,720CFH
Both fans have variable speed, which I use for climate control. I could have used a 100CFM in the veg tent (if I could have found one). In my set up, should the fan in the main tent fail. I have a spare. Hope this helps :tiphat: