What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOUR tried and true veg and flower compost tea recipes (AACT)

caliprop215

Veteran
Im looking to brew my own compost teas for veg and flower.

Is there a basic recipe for veg and flower?

Please tell us your recipes .....theres so much difference on the web of what to add....i want your tried and true methods with pics if possible of how well the plants are thriving.

I just started my compost pile so i will have fresh compost in couple of months. Untill then i will use fresh local compost from a plant greenery place

Thanks everyone in advance. Smoke on and hope everyones garden is thriving.

:tiphat:

xet

Im looking to brew my own compost teas for veg and flower.

Is there a basic recipe for veg and flower?

Please tell us your recipes .....theres so much difference on the web of what to add....i want your tried and true methods with pics if possible of how well the plants are thriving.

I just started my compost pile so i will have fresh compost in couple of months. Untill then i will use fresh local compost from a plant greenery place

Thanks everyone in advance. Smoke on and hope everyones garden is thriving.

:tiphat:

Boogie Brew open sources their tea recipe.
http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

Nothing but dank from it's use from everyone I know using it

CrushnYuba

Are you looking for nutrient teas or compost teas? I don't do to many tea anymore. I found it to be mostly hype for people that can't keep their soil alive.
Alfalfa, Peruvian sea bird, and fossilized sea bird make great teas.. But they make better top dressings and amendments in my opinion.
If you make a tea with guanos, you Are only getting about half the Nitrogin out of it. For all guanos i have seen about half the N is organic ( not water soluble) and half is nitrate ( soluble).

Alfalfa teas are great, but i think it's better as anaerobic none airated fermented tea. Alfalfa is really the best thing you can do for your soil. It's a compost activator. Instead of making teas with it, i put it directly in my soil, and my soil is so alive from it, i have no need for compost teas.
I don't see the point of extracting the microbes out of compost and watering it into my soil, when my soil itself is dank living compost.

And why do guano tea when u can hey the full benefit from top dressing and it's easier to.

caliprop215

Veteran
Are you looking for nutrient teas or compost teas? I don't do to many tea anymore. I found it to be mostly hype for people that can't keep their soil alive.
Alfalfa, Peruvian sea bird, and fossilized sea bird make great teas.. But they make better top dressings and amendments in my opinion.
If you make a tea with guanos, you Are only getting about half the Nitrogin out of it. For all guanos i have seen about half the N is organic ( not water soluble) and half is nitrate ( soluble).

Alfalfa teas are great, but i think it's better as anaerobic none airated fermented tea. Alfalfa is really the best thing you can do for your soil. It's a compost activator. Instead of making teas with it, i put it directly in my soil, and my soil is so alive from it, i have no need for compost teas.
I don't see the point of extracting the microbes out of compost and watering it into my soil, when my soil itself is dank living compost.

And why do guano tea when u can hey the full benefit from top dressing and it's easier to.

Im all for top dressing also. Same thing as a tea but slower realease

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm a very big fan of Killer Tea from Humboldt County's Own. That stuff is magical. So is Recharge from Realgrowers. Roots Organics HPK is amazing as well NPK 0-4-3 with 3% CA and 1% MG. If the plants need some nitrogen blood meal works well.

-Funk

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
.5 cup Earthworm Castings
.5 cup lobster compost, or compost you have available
.25 cup molasses.
A few shakes of Humboldt mycos

Aerate for 48 hours.

Forgot to add that is what is put into a brew bag in 4 gallons of decholrinated water in a 5 gallon bucket.

When done check EC/ppm and dilute to desired level. Use as soil drench or spray.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I throw some (1 teaspoon) Recharge, a half cup of compost and half cup of wild harvested ewc (sometimes some store bought added also) in a bucket and aerate it for about a day and half to three days.
Sometimes I add molasses, agave, or honey, but there is molasses in the Recharge.

Cocopal

.5 cup Earthworm Castings
.5 cup lobster compost, or compost you have available
.25 cup molasses.
A few shakes of Humboldt mycos

Aerate for 48 hours.

Forgot to add that is what is put into a brew bag in 4 gallons of decholrinated water in a 5 gallon bucket.

When done check EC/ppm and dilute to desired level. Use as soil drench or spray.

Do you add this to regular feeding schedule ? I'm in coco using Jacks hydro. Do you cut down on ppm of the basic nutes ? Can you add too much? What sould be the application frequency for both coco and foliar spray ?

Mengsk

Nutrient tea is an organic feed. Compost tea while I don't take soil measurements, the idea makes sense to brew or culture a 5 gallon batch of microbes to inhabit the soil. If E. coli takes 20 minutes to grow then in 1-3 days you're in the log phase with 5 gallons, something like that. So it is an 'activator.' Now whether these ideas can be mixed into one, or alternate between the two, I might try a little of both. Few cups of homemade compost, handful native soil, handful alfalfa, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp molasses, maybe a sprinkle of guano or dolomite (cal mag), 100 gallon Tetra aquarium pump (I bought two and the second one is broken/loud/need to return) with a bolt tied to the airlines, bubble covered 1-3 days. I have no clue if or how it works lol.

CrushnYuba

Do you add this to regular feeding schedule ? I'm in coco using Jacks hydro. Do you cut down on ppm of the basic nutes ? Can you add too much? What sould be the application frequency for both coco and foliar spray ?

Jack's is 100% water soluble. It seems silly to tea. There is not even any liquid organic nitrogin that needs to be broken down.

CrushnYuba

Not really. Any beneficial bacteria that would help your roots fight off disease will just die. For one the jacks will just strait kill all the beneficial bacteria. For 2 if u are using jacks you are probably not adding ammendments, organic nitrogen and fresh organic material that that the bacteria needs to survive. And you have no nutrients that even need to be broken down. I guess it would work as a foliar but I'm not sold on Compost tea doing much as a foliar. And i wouldn't use it this late in the year even if i was.

To me, using synthetics like jacks in a full term outdoor plant is outdated by 10 years. Compost tea regularly is outdated by 2 or 3. Myself and others have done the side by side. Compost tea Doesn't do anything significant for us IF we are truly building dank living soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts