What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

40-45° lat, when do you harvest??

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hi marcellas my rule of thumb is i pull back on my top buds and when i see mold the top gets harvested a lot were allready done before this bad off and on weather set in but the lower branches get better air flow from my fans at night on the few i had to take the tops off and seem to be able to go all the way this way and it seems if they are molding they are ready anyway in most cases after mid august to the middle of september depending on strains except for my hazes and pure sativas i only feed once a week with ferts this seems to help a lot and speed the slowones to flower faster and i do not ever have to flush if i stop nutes for 10 days and just use water but i grow in containers so it is a lot easier to have control of the situation when its bad they stay on the back porch with a fan i also always grow fast and slow plants so if there is a bad year like this has been i am asured of plenty to go around and as they get done i get more space and better airflow for the sativas on those bad days ahead in november and sometimes even december if i got a real slow one aloha classic seeds

sutra1

I'm going to bring in all my harvest tomorrow (10/14) before the storm gets going in the afternoon. Growing here at 40 degrees in Northern Jersey, the storm forecast sounds serious, lots of wind and rain for two days..................

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Im at 36n. Aug.1 is the day ive used for years to check every plant i have to make sure it is flowering. Most plants here start showing multiple pairs of flowers in the last week of July.

I harvested my earliest finishers in mid sept, and chopped all but 2 plants yesterday. The strains i grow such as sensi star have 2 pheno's - an early pheno that finishes mid to late sept and a later one thats done about Oct 10. I like that as it allows me to stagger my drying/harvest.

But the real answer for a guerilla grower is, " when circumstances allow it". Rippers, the law, the weather, mould, or hunters are the ones that will dictate your harvest. Its rare for the guerilla grower to get the opportuntity to choose his harvest date. Its much more likely that rain or frost will set the date.

In my mind, thats why its so important for guerilla growers to choose strains that pack on lots of trichs early. Some strains like GH ww, pack on prabably 40% of its potency in the last 2 weeks of maturity. If weather or hunters force you to cut early it really hurts, but a strain like sensi star that starts pumping out resin from the get go produces nice weed even if circumstances force you to pick a little early.
Strain selection determines harvest results in so many ways.

Its all strain dependant, but generally the early strains come down mid sept. later strains mid-late oct. Strain, age of plant, and amount of direct sun all play a role in harvest times.

Boomer89

I'm going to bring in all my harvest tomorrow (10/14) before the storm gets going in the afternoon. Growing here at 40 degrees in Northern Jersey, the storm forecast sounds serious, lots of wind and rain for two days..................

I am in north jersey aswell. I think I might be taking mine down tonight.. I really really don't want to, but I discovered the first signs of mold yesterday (after that rainstorm monday night). I dont think 2 more days of wind and rain will do it any good.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
i'm at 43 degrees lat, I am in Ontario Canada..and I harvested my massive bush(Benji's cross of sensi Superskunk x Critical Mass Mr nice) on Sat(Oct 9)..I almost always harvest in and around the first week of October, this year actually was great very dry and sunny but as always cool nights...last couple of years I\ve had to chop early due to mold concerns NOT this year...but I have one last plant thats not quite ready so I am fortunate to have access to a full temperature/humidity controlled GREENHOUSE...I am letting my Geisha F2 fully ripen..from Foomar(made with original Geisha seeds from Head Seeds)..my guess 7-14 more days and it should be ready...Good luck in everyone else;s grows..

peace
Chefboy

Marcellas

Veteran
Well I checked them all tonight and didn't see any signs of mold or rot and it looked like they could ripen a bit, so I flushed them all with more pure H20 and I'll let them all go until at least Tuesday Morning.. So probably 6 more days!! :D

It's suppose to rain tommorow and the next day but than 3 days of sun and than more rain and cold so I'll harvest right after the 3 days of sun... Pumped!! :joint:

NickMode

Well I checked them all tonight and didn't see any signs of mold or rot and it looked like they could ripen a bit, so I flushed them all with more pure H20 and I'll let them all go until at least Tuesday Morning.. So probably 6 more days!! :D

It's suppose to rain tommorow and the next day but than 3 days of sun and than more rain and cold so I'll harvest right after the 3 days of sun... Pumped!! :joint:

So are you going to try and let your plants stay out for those 2 days? Its raining here now and supposed to rain tomorrow. but then a week of sun. My plants that i left out have been pretty mold resistant. But its raining and it will get down to about 6 degrees C tonight. Im not sure what to do

U4ic

I started my outdoor Sourbubble around 4/15 and chopped them last day of August. I'm in Southern VA. Was a great summer for growing, they seemed to be happy in the 110 degree heat we saw this summer. The sun did wonders for the SourBubble I had one that was over 6ft tall...

hanuman

Hi Forty-to-forty-five-degrees-latitude people :)

Over here, at 44.5 N, with "classic" strains like ak47 for instance, harvest always take place between october 10 and 30. Some strains could probably go longer, but we usually get heavy rains at the end of oct and I'd rather have a slightly green harvest than no harvest at all (that's happened in the past... pounds of rotten buds on the compost pile or in the fire... not a pleasant sight)

h

E

el dub

It appears our nice weather will hold until at least Monday, so I'm looking to get everything out of the ground by Sunday. Took down a couple of lbs yesterday and should be about the same amount each of the next three days. I see lots-o scissors work in my near future......

Btw, I'm loving my new vertical drying rack system. Six stacked mesh compartments that can each hold well over 4 lbs of wet flowers.

lw

Marcellas

Veteran
My definate harvest date is between Sunday and Tuesday, most likely Tues morning.. Sounds great everyone!!

DR PONIX

-

-

im @ 44 N was finished 1st of sept need the early stuff to beat pork choppers, rippers and mould, u guys must be growing dutch gear!

E

el dub

A ton of NoCal gear is also finishing as we speak.

There is a big difference between 40* and 45*.

lw

Marcellas

Veteran
Harvested my BlueBerry bagseed today and its stinkin up the house!! Will probably yield under a zip though.. Pullin the last of my crop either Tuesday or Wednesday morning before the next rain. Still outside: mini SourBubble, mini BlueKush, and my 2 Purp Kush clones :joint:

outsidegrower

Premium user
Veteran
For everybody around this latitude.. Share how you prepare for harvest and how the actual chop goes down!! And also how you dry and cure :D

gas up my quad and buy a box of 55 gallon lawn bags. when i get to the grow site I cut off all the branches at the stalk and stuff in the bags haul them back to my place. let them dry on door screen hung up in my barn rafters. i like to trim when its dry, for my its easier. put into jars about early december

Ditchweed

i just chopped last night alot of good bud, but lost a couple tops of buds to mold. oh yeah i forgot to mention that im at 42 lat.

HorseMouth

44.5 degrees north at 3500 ft. elevation. All Owl's Production Gear, and I chopped from the 3rd to the 11th of this month.

Drying everything upside down inside drying cabin, with box fan, can fan, oscillating fan.

Hope yours goes well.

Peace

Marcellas

Veteran
I'm definatly going to be looking into some early-flowering/finishing or at least outdoor-known strains for next season. Most of my indicas (BOG Strains, Blueberry, ect..) started flowering around mid August at about 43N and some didn't start budding til late August. We don't get actual 12/12 outdoors here until late September, if I could get some early finishers for next season that are done in early September instead of mid October that would be great!! :rasta:

I'm guessing the Blueberry I harvested today will dry to about 21grams.. My mini SourBubble yielded about 7 dry and I have 2 more minis (a BlueKush and a SourStrawberryDiesel all by BOG) which I'm guessing could be around 8-10grams dry each. Plus my 2 Purp Kush clones which I'm hoping for at least 2 zips total from both. If I guess my dry-weight about right that would be about 3 ounces dry total this season if I'm lucky, but thats cool!!

I have all small plants, my big 6-8 footers turned male.. Maybe clones next season? I'm going to look into a better spot and maybe using less numbers and larger holes for some big bushy half-pounders next season.. I got a bunch of seeds from my SourBubble which finished 2 weeks ago which will be good! Especially if I can get some cuts..

....Harvesting everything Wednesday mor :Dning!! Maybe 1 of my Bog minis tommorow or Tuesday just to check the spot.. :D

Marcellas

Veteran
ill get pics up when i get them off my phone and get everything dried!! everybody keep the feedback coming this is great.. everybody within these latitudes should post up harvest pics and maybe drying/curing techniques, smoke reports, which strains worked best?

Latest posts

Latest posts