What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greencure in Europe?

hanuman

Hi friends,

The title says it all. I remember from posts from the late Silverback (RIP brother) that Greencure was the solution to most mold/budrot problems outdoors. Does anyone know whether this is available in Europe? I tried a search on the Web, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

h :ying:

harold

i would love to know this too, someone mentioned that greencure was nothing more but well marketed potassium carbonate?

HempHut

i would love to know this too, someone mentioned that greencure was nothing more but well marketed potassium carbonate?

That's true -- I believe it has a surfactant added in as well, but the active ingredient is potassium bicarbonate.

You can mix a sodium bicarbonate (common baking soda) solution up if you can't find potassium bicarbonate. It's said to be a bit less effective than the potassium, but not dramatically less effective (and certainly worthwhile if you don't have anything else):

3 teaspoons bicarb
1 and a 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon dishwashing liquid (the dishwashing liquid helps disperse the oil into the water)

mix this with 1 gallon of water.

EDIT: Here's potassium bicarb for sale in U.K. via ebay. Seller seems to know it works on PM/fungal infections.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500g-Potassium-Bicarbonate-Food-Grade-/290460512107

harold

thanks hempnut.

plant magic - essence is another one to look out for, supposed to good against leafspot, pm, botrytis etc........ can be found in the uk.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
You can mix a sodium bicarbonate (common baking soda) solution up if you can't find potassium bicarbonate. It's said to be a bit less effective than the potassium, but not dramatically less effective (and certainly worthwhile if you don't have anything else):
I second that. Consider that you pay baking soda a fraction of greencure.
Baking soda is very effective against PM and other fungus diseases, it increases the surface pH of the leaf making it unsuitable for the growth of PM spores.

Peace

=K

hamstring

Veteran
GreenCure® is Proven Effective

In 1985 renowned plant pathologist, Dr. Ken Horst of Cornell University began research on the use of bicarbonates as a plant fungicide. Stories about the use of baking soda for controlling garden fungi had circulated for years, but its effectiveness was limited by the method of application and its inability to spead evenly and provide complete coverage.

Years of research and experimentation revealed some significant and surprising discoveries. First, it was found that potassium bicarbonate is 25 to 35 percent more effective than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Second, It was determined that an effective "spreader-sticker" was needed to evenly spread and stick the potassium bicarbonate over a leaf surface to give it the ability to be a powerful fungicide and have lasting and preventative characteristics.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Stories about the use of baking soda for controlling garden fungi had circulated for years, but its effectiveness was limited by the method of application and its inability to spead evenly and provide complete coverage.
Thats why you'd better mix it with oil.
GC is a great product but you can use baking soda wisely and obtain similar results almost for free.

Peace

=K

calstar

Potassium bicarb and milk

Potassium bicarb and milk

I use a mix of 1tbs potass bicarb., 1tsp liquid dish soap, and 2cups skim milk(about 12%milk/water) in a gallon of water. No ill effects noticed from using the two together. You can get a 50lb bag of potassium bicarb at most agricultural (not garden) supply stores for about $120, a little over $2 a lb. Green cure is usually about
$20 for 8oz, or about $40 lb. Plenty of places on the net sell 1 lb for under $10. Green cure definitely has that marketing thing down...